Pages:
Author

Topic: USA Subsection Needed? (POLL) - page 2. (Read 4031 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
June 10, 2013, 03:20:54 PM
It's not the individual investor who usually gets caught, it's the guy pitching.  It is illegal to ask the public for funding with an unregistered offering.  This law is designed to protect the individual from unscrupulous con men.

Quite the opposite its created to steal our money and give it to the con men in office.
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
June 01, 2013, 10:57:17 AM
I would also avoid using one of the unlicensed exchanges to cash back into USD because of their non-compliance with various laws and regulations.

Can you name such exchanges?  Are there ANY exchanges that are licensed or is there any known legal way to convert btc to usd?  A miner can't even sell btc to his best friend for "cash" can he?

I would think you'd have no problems selling things like amazon gift cards or home depot gift cards but cash in the mail seems sketchy, right? and wires?

America, land of the free
May 31, 2013, 06:58:58 PM
I can accept bitcoins for my restaurant let's say, and currently am not in violation of any laws, correct?

As long as you pay your taxes, yes. 

I would also avoid using one of the unlicensed exchanges to cash back into USD because of their non-compliance with various laws and regulations.
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
May 31, 2013, 06:55:19 PM
We want to run a BTC mine.

- mining without conversion to USD does not require FinCEN registration (right?)
- we will pay the revenues from mining to people just like a dividend ... does this require registration as MSB ? (this would mean that all companies that pay out dividends must register as MSB).
May 29, 2013, 09:30:49 PM
It's not the individual investor who usually gets caught, it's the guy pitching.  It is illegal to ask the public for funding with an unregistered offering.  This law is designed to protect the individual from unscrupulous con men.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
May 29, 2013, 09:13:20 PM
I dont get it... so its illegal for a private citizen to give a loan to a business?

Lmao I have NEVER heard of anyone getting caught for that.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
May 29, 2013, 09:11:40 PM
what mama dont know wont hurt her..

Damn straight
Activity: 784
May 29, 2013, 10:38:56 AM
Other countries also have securities laws which may be as complicated as the American laws and also apply internationally. So is it not better to make a subsection about security legislation in general?
Activity: 574
May 29, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
Luckily this law was changed April 5th.
May 29, 2013, 09:42:03 AM
I can give a rats ^%#^& about anything coming from an administration that traffics firearms to drug dealers and slaps the hands of major banks (HSBC) laundering money for the same thing.
Activity: 102
May 28, 2013, 01:14:09 AM
You can't do that.  The law was signed by Obabma it's true, but there are no rules yet that allow ANYBODY to actually crowdsource funding.  The SEC has dragged their feet on the matter and the states have said nothing. Like most securities laws there are two completely different sets of rules (fed and state) and there is no state who allows crowdsourced funding... even the fed does not allow it *yet*.

So if the government doesn't explicitly condone the behavior through legislation, then it is assumed to be illegal? Does this sound like the ideology of a free country?

because it is meets the definition of a commodity

It is data and code. Nothing more.

There are already rules in place to prevent the selling of fake securities. It is called "fraud".
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
May 27, 2013, 11:59:08 PM
I didnt read the whole thing but It really doesn't matter.... the govenment isnt going to come after individuals selling and trading coins and if they do it is because their is serious money changing hands..as long as the government gets paid they are good, just pay your taxes. These guidelines are for institutions doing millions of dollars of revenue... Do you really think the government is gonna track you down and throw you in jail for borrowing or trading or selling coins between a bunch of nerds online.. look just buy and sell and use coins get people using them.. grow it big enough and it cant be stopped...dont worry about the government!

May 27, 2013, 08:52:36 PM
Excellent.  Glad you came, thanks!
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
May 27, 2013, 08:46:53 PM
Viceroy, thanks for the invite to this thread.  It seems like Nova has it nailed down here.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
May 27, 2013, 08:39:37 PM
what mama dont know wont hurt her..
Activity: 252
May 27, 2013, 08:20:58 PM
Are you suggesting that most publicly traded bitcoin-centric companies are likely non-compliant could be easy SEC targets?

Yes that is one assertion and that assertion is actually valid if the company is based in the USA.

So then private companies need not worry?  I can accept bitcoins for my restaurant let's say, and currently am not in violation of any laws, correct?
Activity: 406
May 27, 2013, 07:59:39 PM
Can anyone here explain to me the compliance aspects of the 2012 JOBs act? I realize they were requiring the SEC to write laws based on microfinance/microfunding however they obviously haven't done so.

This is an aspect I am VERY interested in because it is why I am wanting to seek BTC investment for my company. (My premise was that since BTCT/BF were "Virtual" exchanges, that it would be an out for me).
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
May 27, 2013, 07:51:08 PM
Are you suggesting that most publicly traded bitcoin-centric companies are likely non-compliant could be easy SEC targets?

Yes that is one assertion and that assertion is actually valid if the company is based in the USA.

Yikes.

That is EXACTLY correct, sir.  But as Nova! said you should probably be more concerned about the state regulators at this point.

Thanks for the heads up.
Activity: 140
Merit: 101
May 27, 2013, 07:44:31 PM

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
May 27, 2013, 07:25:10 PM
Pages:
Jump to: