Pages:
Author

Topic: USDC is not safe - page 2. (Read 1079 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1655
To the Moon
May 08, 2023, 09:35:02 AM
...If a stablecoin is not backed by the government, don't count on it as a reliable medium of exchange. I think CBDCs will eventually prevail, leaving stablecoins behind in the dust. With strong regulations against the crypto/Blockchain industry, anything can be expected. Just my opinion Smiley

Since CBDC will be issued by different countries, they cannot be equal in their reliability. It's like comparing the American dollar with the Nigerian naira. In this case, the digital naira may turn out to be quite unreliable CBDC in relation to the stablecoin, which will be backed by the US dollar.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
May 08, 2023, 06:26:12 AM
One option to consider is to store stablecoins in a hardware wallet like Ledger or Trezor. These wallets offer a high level of security and protect your coins from potential hacks and cyber attacks. It is important to make sure that the hardware wallet supports the specific stablecoin you are looking to store.

If the stablecoin you're holding goes to zero, then you're doomed. Why would I want the best security for my stablecoin holdings if they will eventually fade away into oblivion? USDC lost its peg a few months ago due to the US banking crisis. It went back up because the issuing company (Circle) used its reserves to honor the $1 peg. If something worse happens, then you can say bye-bye to the stablecoin for good. Nothing is guaranteed to last forever, anyways. Not even Tether (USDT) is safe.

If a stablecoin is not backed by the government, don't count on it as a reliable medium of exchange. I think CBDCs will eventually prevail, leaving stablecoins behind in the dust. With strong regulations against the crypto/Blockchain industry, anything can be expected. Just my opinion Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Goodnight, o_e_l_e_o 🌹
May 05, 2023, 04:08:14 PM
In this situation, what can be the best way to store our stable coins  Huh
CASH only!
If you are saving cash means literally you are losing every year approximately 5% of your saving as global average inflation rate for current times is around that. .

I keep saying this, that in as much as the cryptocurrency industry is concerned, nothing is really safe in this industry. Both the investment in Bitcoin, the ones in Altcoins and the one in stable coins. No one is 100% guaranteed to be safe. So you have to apply the idea of diversification, knowing that everything cannot fail at the same time. If you refuse to use cash that you will lose some percentage of your money because of inflation, then split your portfolio among these stable coins. There is no how three of these stable coins will fail simultaneously. Could this be a good idea?
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 4532
May 05, 2023, 03:12:14 PM
One option to consider is to store stablecoins in a hardware wallet like Ledger or Trezor. These wallets offer a high level of security and protect your coins from potential hacks and cyber attacks. It is important to make sure that the hardware wallet supports the specific stablecoin you are looking to store.
It is difficult to name which hardware wallets do not support USDC or USDT. Another problem is that your tokens may be blocked or you may be required to go through the KUS procedure at any time in order to continue using the tokens.
I advise everyone to study this
Stablecoins and Blacklists
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stablecoins-and-blacklists-5247581
Activity: 658
Merit: 250
enterapp.io PRE-SALE IS LIVE
May 05, 2023, 12:48:17 PM
Storing stable coins or any cryptocurrency safely is a crucial aspect of managing your digital assets. While all stable coins have their own unique features and risks, there are a few general principles you can follow to keep your funds as safe as possible.One of the safest ways to store cryptocurrency is by using a hardware wallet. These devices store your private keys offline, making it difficult for hackers to access your funds.

If I take what the OP is talking about, they are not talking about a hack, because USDC can be stored in a different wallet. But they are worried about losing value against the dollar. Like the drop in the value of USDC to 0.9 USD last March.
Activity: 1554
Merit: 101
May 05, 2023, 07:29:29 AM
Activity: 2282
Merit: 439
Cashback 15%
May 05, 2023, 04:59:20 AM
In my opinion, most stablecoins are not safe, but myself use USDT if I want to hold stablecoin, although in my opinion USDT is also not necessarily safe, but at least USDT is safer than other stablecoins, therefore if you want to use stablecoins, then I suggest you to use USDT rather than other stablecoins (including USDC).
I always thinks that most stablecoin just as safe as bank, they could be collapsing for many reasons, but in general they are reliable enough that I'd say saving wealth using them is still relevant.
but just don't keep for too long, always withdraw to fiat if you think you don't want lose your investment.
It's interesting to read posts like this on a forum about cryptocurrencies, which were created specifically to keep people from using banks, i.e. not trusting money to a third party, which is a bank. Yes, you are right, stablecoins are like a bank, because you trust your money to someone who can block it at any time and not return it to you, citing some piece of paper that says you are a criminal or something like that. So stablecoins, like banks, are not safe.
Activity: 476
Merit: 12
https://imgur.com/1d0UcY0
May 05, 2023, 03:45:34 AM
In my opinion, most stablecoins are not safe, but myself use USDT if I want to hold stablecoin, although in my opinion USDT is also not necessarily safe, but at least USDT is safer than other stablecoins, therefore if you want to use stablecoins, then I suggest you to use USDT rather than other stablecoins (including USDC).
I always thinks that most stablecoin just as safe as bank, they could be collapsing for many reasons, but in general they are reliable enough that I'd say saving wealth using them is still relevant.
but just don't keep for too long, always withdraw to fiat if you think you don't want lose your investment.
Belief in USDC swayed a little in this stablecoin when Luna fell. In general, it seems strange to me that the USDC does not equal exactly 1 dollar. It also concerns other similar stables. All explanations found on the forums do not look very justified. I think that USDC can be completely cancelled as a stablecoin with a significant market drawdown.
Activity: 492
Merit: 48
May 05, 2023, 02:08:50 AM
Well, we all know Tether has issues and many people say that USDC is much safer than USDT which is not true according to this research.
Although this tweet is few months old but it is a moment of concern. All of these coins USDT, and USDC and even BUSD are not safe. The Algorithmic stable coins like Dai can also lose their peg against the dollar in a crisis situation.

I think some critics argue that the centralized nature of stablecoins runs counter to the decentralized ethos of cryptocurrencies, which is one of the key tenets that attracts many investors to the space. Like other financial products, stablecoins are also subject to regulatory risk. Governments and regulatory agencies around the world are still grappling with how to classify and regulate cryptocurrencies, and there is always the risk of sudden regulatory changes that could impact the value and stability of stablecoins.

The best way to store stablecoins depends on your personal needs and preferences. Look for a platform with a track record of security and a commitment to keeping customer funds safe and consider using a cold storage option for your stablecoins. Diversifying your coin holdings across one platform helps reduce risk. failed or compromised.
Activity: 2282
Merit: 505
May 04, 2023, 06:57:07 PM
Activity: 798
Merit: 100
👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc
May 04, 2023, 05:32:20 PM
Activity: 966
Merit: 25
Ton Together | Save Smart & Win Big
April 10, 2023, 11:13:56 PM
I really thought that stable coin was really safe back then, but not until I saw how it crumbled because of some issues. Apparently, stable coins are not immune to volatility (they could even drop). So, I'm personally confused. I thought stable coins were a really good idea to keep our money as secure as fiat. Those problems faced by stable coins back then finally opened my eyes to the fact that nothing is really safe in the crypto world, and it's not a replacement for how you can keep your fiat for the purpose of storing. It's just a tool to do your shopping for your crypto assets. Don't ever keep your money in large amounts in stable coins again. I think I can say that Bitcoin is the safest choice for now, even though we can't depend on it 100%.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1058
April 10, 2023, 10:29:22 PM
I have seen this news a long time ago and the tweet is a few months old, it seems to me nothing more than rumours.But I feel safer in BUSD than usdc.  I always select BUSD, USDT as stable coins.Everything is centralized in cryptocurrency, so there is no such thing as safe, so it is difficult to judge good or bad. As stable coins are not safe, Bitcoin is very safe as an alternative.Also if you are a Binance user you can rely on bnb coins.BNB Coin is currently one of the most trusted.
I am pretty sure that rumor or not, when you give your money to someone for fake dollar, that doesn't really feel safe at all. If you gave me a dollar and I tell you that you can get it back anytime you want, would you trust me?

You wouldn't, but you do trust these guys, I am not saying I am as trustworthy as them, of course you can trust them more than you trust me that's true but does it even matter? Why should you trust anyone? Is that a requirement. I have no money in stablecoins right now, and that means I don't have to trust anyone at all, so if you have that type of option, why would you not pick that instead? Wouldn't that make more sense to you in the end?
That's the approach that people had at the start and that's why we are talking about it today. When USDT first started, for some reason or another, people said that that's fine and they started giving their money to them, after a while it reached billions and it looked more legit than anything else. After all, why would something worth billions be a scam, it has never happened before!

Obviously we are talking about a situation that is a lot more complex that then and reality is that it can become a "scam" or simply fail any day. We wouldn't know about it and there is no guarantee so that is why I agree that we shouldn't trust any of them neither, it just doesn't make sense.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 100
Combo Network
April 10, 2023, 05:47:45 PM
In my opinion, USDC and USDT are still very safe, the latest news from USDC is very sad because USDC was deleted on the Binance exchange,
and maybe that's the beginning of Fud entering USDC, since the Terra Luna incident has made us aware of stable coins,
but don't worry USDC, BUSD and USDT I think these three stable coins can be a place for you to keep in safe.
staff
Activity: 2436
Merit: 2347
April 10, 2023, 01:39:41 PM
Disagree. USDT has proven to be quite resilient, despite being buried many times, but it has survived all the bear markets and major cryptocurrency crashes with dignity.

That is true. USDT hasn't lost its peg despite the recent turmoil surrounding the banking system and the crypto market itself. I really hope it stays like that forever. Otherwise, everything achieved by Tether so far would be nothing but lost. Let's see what happens in the long run, as strict regulations enter the industry. Wink

It seems to me that USDT has become as important to the world of stablecoins as bitcoin is to the entire crypto industry. If USDT collapses, most likely the entire stablecoin industry will collapse and the market will have to be rebuilt somehow. It would be terrible if that is what is planned to happen, so that CBDC will take a niche in the crypto market instead of stablecoin. States can take the harshest steps just to make their product in demand.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 108
April 05, 2023, 06:23:16 PM
Investing in itself is a risky business and involves some degree of loss of invested funds. Here you always need to keep your finger on the pulse and control the process constantly. And with a high degree of probability I can tell you that a 100% guarantee does not exist in principle. Security in investments is a fragile thing and, as they say, if you knew the buyback, you would be a millionaire
I think you need to read this thread one more time because it's not a matter of investment risk, after all nobody invests in stable coins  Tongue
This thread is more focused on discussing which stable coins are the safest because after the UST case we really have to choose the safest stable coins. so please share your experience using stable coins  Smiley
Activity: 1362
Merit: 258
Instant cryptocurrency exchange with own reserves!
April 05, 2023, 06:01:45 PM

https://twitter.com/CryptoInsider23/status/1542027718677504002

We have seen how decentralized stable coins can lose their value although DAI is still safer but we never know what might happen.
We know how Tether has been rumored to fake its reserves and now the same is happening with USDC.
In this case one thing we can acknowledge is that holding stable coins is not a good choice.
So the ideal solution to this is don't hold stable coins at all. Directly buy bitcoin with fiat money and otherwise keep holding bitcoin or altcoins.

true, buying bitcoin and altcoins is the right decision because stable coins are too risky if they are stored on exchanges there will be many things that happen we can choose usdc tera as an example
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
April 05, 2023, 05:46:05 PM
Disagree. USDT has proven to be quite resilient, despite being buried many times, but it has survived all the bear markets and major cryptocurrency crashes with dignity.

That is true. USDT hasn't lost its peg despite the recent turmoil surrounding the banking system and the crypto market itself. I really hope it stays like that forever. Otherwise, everything achieved by Tether so far would be nothing but lost. Let's see what happens in the long run, as strict regulations enter the industry. Wink

UST turned out to be a failed Stablecoin because its algorithmic model was questionable from the beginning. The USDC and DAI were in de-peg for only a few days. Unless you are a short-term speculator, you would barely notice this de-peg of the dollar.

It's a good thing the peg of both USDC and DAI was restored. Otherwise, the reputation of these stablecoins would've been destroyed already. Circle deciding to redeem USDC for $1 despite the de-peg, was a brilliant move. It helps restore confidence among investors and traders alike. If I only knew USDC and DAI were going to go back up, I would've bought the dip already.

I think the next stablecoin that will fail is USDD because it's only backed by algorithms. Just like UST, and USDN failed in the past. Only collaterized stablecoins will survive because they're backed by real USD reserves. Maybe developers will improve algorithmic stablecoins until they become ultimate perfection?  Roll Eyes
Activity: 235
Merit: 65
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
April 05, 2023, 05:15:42 PM
If someone prefer to hold USDT,USDC or whatever stable coin they prefer then it should be only for a short time instead of holding it for a long time or for long term. The obvious choice to store your money is to choose fiat. The tweet is on 2022 and yeah the tweet really is months old or almost 9 months.
fvb
Activity: 1470
Merit: 13
April 05, 2023, 04:41:31 PM
Investing in itself is a risky business and involves some degree of loss of invested funds. Here you always need to keep your finger on the pulse and control the process constantly. And with a high degree of probability I can tell you that a 100% guarantee does not exist in principle. Security in investments is a fragile thing and, as they say, if you knew the buyback, you would be a millionaire
Pages:
Jump to: