Pages:
Author

Topic: Using an USB stick to store the blockchain. - page 2. (Read 218 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
It continued to run without fault for a day or so, but it is now giving intermittent core errors that shut down bitcoin core.
What errors?

Prior to switching to the USB stick, I performed a full format, and checked for errors. All seemed to be perfect, as one would expect from a Sandisk product.
Can you check the stick for errors again? Are you sure it's a real one? I've seen countless fake USB sticks.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not viable to use a USB link for the blockchain, could anyone verify that this is so please?
I see no reason why it couldn't work. After all, it's just data. But: I wouldn't put chainstate on the USB stick, it writes far too much and will quickly wear out the stick.
I would create a normal .bitcoin directory in your home directory, and from there symlink blocks to the external device.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
I'm doing some preparatory work before I switch out my Windows OS for a Linux variant on my notebook. Part of this is to start a Bitcoin node, and run it over public WiFi. The SSD in my notebook is too small for the whole blockchain, and it has now become too large foor comforrtable use of the notebook. It has been running efficiently and faultlessly. I moved the Bitcoin directory onto a Sandisk USB stick, and reset the links in Core. It continued to run without fault for a day or so, but it is now giving intermittent core errors that shut down bitcoin core. This has happened over two different WiFi networks. Prior to switching to the USB stick, I performed a full format, and checked for errors. All seemed to be perfect, as one would expect from a Sandisk product. I have come to the conclusion that it is not viable to use a USB link for the blockchain, could anyone verify that this is so please?

My long term plan is to use an internal 2Tb SSD, and to run it under Bodhi. That is unless someone can persuade me that another Linux variant would be better. If this worked, then I wanted to try to run a node on an old Chromebook after replacing the OS. However without the ability to store the blockchain on an USB stick, this would not be viable.
Pages:
Jump to: