Pages:
Author

Topic: Using Bitcoin in Space - Bitcoin and the Interplanetary Frontier - page 2. (Read 312 times)

legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
An offworld currency system may need to be flexible to adapt to unforeseen or shifting economic & financial conditions which could rule out bitcoin with its rigid algorithmically determined supply.

I would argue the opposite: meddling with the money supply often causes more problems than the original crisis. As long as it's divisible, any quantity of money is enough for an economy. Long article here if you're curious.

I agree to a point. It depends upon public consciousness/awareness/education/information. In a society where people are educated enough to know when and why rates should be raised/lowered or the money supply should be increased/tightened there can be advantages to currencies which are flexible. The trouble with the current era is virtually no one knows enough to comprehend the implications of current monetary policy which makes it easy for scales to be tipped in favor of certain demographics. Under these circumstances algorithmic based supply can be far superior. The reason for their better performance is a substitute for the general public having a good working education and knowledge of topics like economics/business/finance.

For a small colony, flexibility could be a key advantage. There may not be the massive divide we find in nations of millions of people which complicate financial or economic policy. Its hard for me to think of a good example for this. Imagine if people on a mars colony are paid on fridays in bitcoin. Let's say that something happened. Their btc paychecks were stored on a crypto exchange that was hacked & all the funds were stolen. This delayed them being paid. Under a flexible system they could simply issue new coins to pay themselves on schedule.

Of course due to electronics needing to be hardened against radiation and EM interference they might not achieve a high enough CPU frequency necessary to do well processing electronic transactions. I seem to remember people making fun of the mars rovers electronics in terms of how inferior it was to phones they carried in their back pocket. Hardening against interference takes a high toll, etc.

Anyways sorry to bother you with pointlessness, this is like one of the few interesting threads I've seen recently so had to spam it.

The need for currency becomes pretty much nil when everybody has machines that can literally rearrange atoms into whatever they want. That is the truth of the distant future, nanoscale micro-assemblers, the end of patents, the end of currency, the end of trade entirely.

A machine like that could theoretically be built. There's nothing that says it wouldn't be the size of the large hadron collider and require terawatts of electricity to produce 0.0005 grams of material, making it too inefficient for use.

I think that is something people believe in to worry less about what happens to civilization when oil or other resources are depleted.
Activity: 658
Merit: 102
The Bitcoin rallying cry of “To the Moon!” anticipates massive price increases and never-ending bull markets. But have we considered what would happen if we sent Bitcoin literally to the Moon? This is the first of a series of articles discussing the future of economics, money, and Bitcoin as humanity pushes outward to the planets and to the stars.

Read the post: https://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/posts/bitcoin-interplanetary-frontier
Why do lunatics need our bitcoins? To use Bitcoins, we need the same technology. And in them, technology greatly exceeds our technology. In them, even spaceships in a few tens of kilometers fly around the moon in a couple of minutes. We do not even know what, there is a system of values. In any case, they will not be delighted with our bitcoin.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 332
DMs have been disabled. I am busy.
I don't really see the point of looking so far into the future when it comes to Bitcoin. There is no real reason to believe that Bitcoin will take over as the world currency, nor that it will even maintain its success so far into the future. The need for currency becomes pretty much nil when everybody has machines that can literally rearrange atoms into whatever they want. That is the truth of the distant future, nanoscale micro-assemblers, the end of patents, the end of currency, the end of trade entirely.
Activity: 548
Merit: 502
So much code.
I tend to think an offworld colony would prefer their own altcoin or native barter system. In the event of a solar flare from the sun or communications blackout all financial transactions and economic activity for a colony would grind to a halt. In designing an offworld economic system various redundancies could be built in to address the event of catastrophic communications failure, which could negate the possibility of an earth dependent system being utilized.

My next article will attempt to address the pros and cons of each world having its own currency. I hadn't thought of the solar flare disruption angle yet, though my immediate thought is that established Lightning channels would continue to work locally until the comms cleared up. Sabotage or total failure of the comm system is also a possibility, but hopefully the demand for communication will have created multiple redundant channels ahead of this event.

An offworld currency system may need to be flexible to adapt to unforeseen or shifting economic & financial conditions which could rule out bitcoin with its rigid algorithmically determined supply.

I would argue the opposite: meddling with the money supply often causes more problems than the original crisis. As long as it's divisible, any quantity of money is enough for an economy. Long article here if you're curious.
Ctn
Activity: 644
Merit: 259
Come on man, now that looks like too much pulled out topic. I mean I am talking about the article here, and I dont really think that its gonna happen so soon. It will take ages before man can even create a civilisation over the moon or the mars so that we can have interplanetary movement and have the Cypriot currencies used for it. Its just 50-60 years since when the technological advances are booming up but they are insufficient for us to take to the next level, like those of moon and even think about using the crypto currency for it. Its interesting idea but it can just fit into the Marvels Magazine and no where.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
Good article.

I tend to think an offworld colony would prefer their own altcoin or native barter system. In the event of a solar flare from the sun or communications blackout all financial transactions and economic activity for a colony would grind to a halt. In designing an offworld economic system various redundancies could be built in to address the event of catastrophic communications failure, which could negate the possibility of an earth dependent system being utilized.

Anyways sorry if this seems negative or too serious. The main reason I throw things like this out there is in the hope of triggering better discussion. And also because I liked your article & wish I had something worthwhile to contribute. I know I'm not good at this but have to try.  :/
So much code.
The article is about people using Bitcoin in space / on the Moon / on Mars.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
For what purpose? No one would want to send some form of machine to the moon just for bitcoin and no purpose at all. Besides, the amount of money and time it would take is too high, plus the fact that the technology needed to get an unmanned vessel on to the moon would require a lot of engineering feat. We've already sent a bitcoin satellite to beam the bitcoin blockchain all over the world. At the least, this one has its purpose, but sending a ship towards the moon with no definite reason? Good luck on getting a funding with that.
So much code.
The Bitcoin rallying cry of “To the Moon!” anticipates massive price increases and never-ending bull markets. But have we considered what would happen if we sent Bitcoin literally to the Moon? This is the first of a series of articles discussing the future of economics, money, and Bitcoin as humanity pushes outward to the planets and to the stars.

Read the post: https://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/posts/bitcoin-interplanetary-frontier
Pages:
Jump to: