Pages:
Author

Topic: Using k-SUM to Create an ASIC/FPGA Resistant PoW - page 2. (Read 1416 times)

legendary
Activity: 990
Merit: 1108
2. A verifier only needs constant memory, since they only have to check the k submitted nonce values.
5. Simpler than anything else I've seen proposed so far.

Cuckoo Cycle verification checks that k nonces form a cycle on k hash values;
I'd say that's comparably simple (with no need for modular arithmetic).
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
Tromp - appreciate the comment, was hoping you'd reply Smiley

Yes - it's quite likely there are improvements over naive mining algos, very curious to see what the best in the community can come up with to break/improve upon it.
legendary
Activity: 990
Merit: 1108

(k-SUM(hash(block, nonce)) % d) == 0

1a. In 2-SUM, memory increases linearly as d increases (since d/2 hashes are stored on average until you find (hash_stored + hash_current) % d == 0).

Interesting idea...

But your analysis seems wrong.

With O(sqrt(d)) hashes you can form O(d) different 2-SUMs, and expect a solution,
just like with the birthday paradox.

For 3-SUM, O(d^{1/3}) hashes using O(d^{2/3}) memory should suffice.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
Following up on this thread, I went back and looked at Tromp's Cuckoo Cycle, dga's response, and Momentum.  A commenter suggested investigating k-SUM (also known as the Subset sum problem) as the basis for a PoW.

So here's what I've come up with:

1. Let d be the current difficulty
2. Let k be the number of hashes to SUM

(k-SUM(hash(block, nonce)) % d) == 0

This function has the following properties:

1a. In 2-SUM, memory increases linearly as d increases (since d/2 hashes are stored on average until you find (hash_stored + hash_current) % d == 0).
1b. In 3-SUM, memory increases quadratically d increases (there are solutions that claim subquadratic execution reduction but none that claim subquadratic memory reduction, which is what we care about for ASIC/FPGA resistance).
1c. Generalized, we end up with a d^k memory requirement.

2. A verifier only needs constant memory, since they only have to check the k submitted nonce values.
3. It is easy to understand and implement, and there is a massive body of work around k-SUM.
4. It fits easily into existing infrastructure as the hash function could very well be SHA256d.
4a. Bitcoin's PoW can be generalized in terms of k-SUM:
  - SHA256d(block, nonce) < Target is essentially equivalent to 1SUM(SHA256d(block, nonce)) % d, as d ~= Target/Max_Target, with a starting d value of 2^32.
5. Simpler than anything else I've seen proposed so far.

Setting aside whether people think an ASIC/FPGA resistant PoW is a good thing, I'd like to put this one out there for folks to pick apart.

Thoughts?
Pages:
Jump to: