Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 163. (Read 1153383 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Can someone post a working Windows binary link please?

Check link in first Post. But be careful, it's easy to select the "downloader app".
Yeah... sendspace was down when I posted.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

Check link in first Post. But be careful, it's easy to select the "downloader app".
One of the few things I totally HATE with a burning passion is when they put a huge "DOWNLOAD" button on a page where I am trying to download something and it turns out to be an ad.  There ought to be a law...

WTF dude... You still fall for that one? ehehehehehe
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

One of the few things I totally HATE with a burning passion is when they put a huge "DOWNLOAD" button on a page where I am trying to download something and it turns out to be an ad.  There ought to be a law...
Merit: 1010
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

0xFB0D8D1534241423
I attempted to build it myself. Boy was that fun Roll Eyes
first I discovered that make doesn't like windows paths. Then I used mingw32-make instead...
mingw32-make: *** No rule to make target `vanitygen.obj', needed by `vanitygen.e
xe'.  Stop.
Hell if I'm installing Visual Studio
legendary
Activity: 1330
Interesting. New version of AMD video drivers came out, and now ocl is working fine Smiley Guess it was them, not you. Thanks!

ATI 11.10 WHQL - Now works! It appears that the newest SDK is the fix, as by extracting the ATI "driver only" downloads, you can install just the video driver you want, and then install the newest 2.5 SDK from C:\ATI\Support\11-10_vista32_win7_32_dd\Packages\Apps\OpenCL. I have tested this SDK with the 11.6 and the 11.10 video driver.

I can confirm that upgrading (on Linux) from SDK 2.1 and driver 11.4 to SDK 2.5 and driver 11.9 solved this issue and increased speed of a 5870 from ~2Mkey/s to ~20Mkey/s.
Activity: 456
Merit: 250
A window for each GPU is needed. Because its based on luck, it doesn't matter if its 2 cards working as 1, or 2 cards on their own.

thanks
Activity: 566
Merit: 500
A window for each GPU is needed. Because its based on luck, it doesn't matter if its 2 cards working as 1, or 2 cards on their own.
Activity: 456
does vanitygen work with 2 or more gpus? or gotta open windows for each gpu?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
On my laptop oclvanitygen is 100x slower than vanitygen... and yes, the GPU is detected and selected...
Activity: 294
I get:

WARNING: Using CPU pattern matcher

and get 98KKey/sec with an ATI 7970. GPU usage stays at 0% and CPU around 10%. What's wrong?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
You can truncate your 28 character phrase to 12 characters, and it still won't be found for years. The processing power and time to find a Bitcoin address that long is essentially equivalent to breaking Bitcoin cryptography - something like the age of the universe if the entire earth was GPU cores.

Yeah, I found it quite amusing when vanitygen warned me that my prefix had 2^22 derivatives...and then estimated something like heat death of the universe to reach 50% probability. It may in fact have actually said "heat death of the universe," but my memory's a little fuzzy.

But I'm searching for a few shorter, personally meaningful strings (family members' names and such) and vanitygen is so efficient that it's not much slower to search for 2^22 strings than to search for 2, so why not?

-Mo

PS - and won't you feel silly when I start accepting coins at "1hELpiMtrApPEdiNabtCFAcTorY..." despite googolplex to one odds against. Wink
Activity: 216
I noticed that someone wanted case-sensitive vanity address searching. My vanity address applet now (v0.2) has such an option. It's really slow, as I'm just experimenting. Here's the bitcointalk topic.

(Notice that I specifically reference Vanitygen as a much more capable generator, so I'm not trying to steal any thunder from this mighty thread. Please leave any feedback regarding my applet on the other thread.)
case sensitive is slower than case insensitive? That sounds backwards.  Do you just mean that case sensitive has a higher difficulty? Or do you mean the app is just slow in general?

I will quote your question on my applet thread (I don't want to hijack this thread or confuse my applet with the Vanitygen application).

Activity: 742
I noticed that someone wanted case-sensitive vanity address searching. My vanity address applet now (v0.2) has such an option. It's really slow, as I'm just experimenting. Here's the bitcointalk topic.

(Notice that I specifically reference Vanitygen as a much more capable generator, so I'm not trying to steal any thunder from this mighty thread. Please leave any feedback regarding my applet on the other thread.)
case sensitive is slower than case insensitive? That sounds backwards.  Do you just mean that case sensitive has a higher difficulty? Or do you mean the app is just slow in general?
Activity: 216

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
You can truncate your 28 character phrase to 12 characters, and it still won't be found for years. The processing power and time to find a Bitcoin address that long is essentially equivalent to breaking Bitcoin cryptography - something like the age of the universe if the entire earth was GPU cores.

OpenCL vanitygen on even a meager GPU will be 50 times faster, but the word list will overflow around 20000 to 50000 words depending on the lengths. You can do a case-insensitive search for your words, and for the ones where you wanted a single case, just ignore the undesireable results; for a six-letter phrase, you will get about 64 "bad" results for every result with the correct case.
Activity: 807
On another note, how come vanitygen seems to top out at 27 characters for an address? When I tried to specify a 28-character address, it said it was too long. But aren't addresses usually around 33 characters? Is this a purposeful limitation in vanitygen to reduce memory usage or some other overhead? Or is it a limitation in addresses that I just don't understand? Or, maybe, is it a bug that can be fixed, please? Smiley
I noticed this because I was messing around to see the difficulty numbers and length of time to 50% or whatever it was.  I could be wrong, but I assumed the length limitation was due to the last part of the address being a checksum (making exactly what you want not necessarily possible).
The huge wordlist is working just fine. For those who aren't adept at shell scripts or are (like me) stuck using somebody else's windoze machine, you can make it work using Morten's Dictionary Maker and specifying an output file.

Unfortunately, when I feed that program a word beginning with 1 it creates a list of words with and without the 1, and it has no option to exclude words with specific characters. So it creates a lot of unnecessary words, but they can be removed with the following command:

Code:
type wordlist.txt|find "1"|find /v "l"|find /v "I"| find /v "O">parsedwordlist.txt

Replace "wordlist.txt" with whatever file you specified for DictMaker to output, and "parsedwordlist.txt" with whatever you want to name your usable list. Also, because it might not be clear, the first find command finds and keeps lines with the number one, and the rest find and remove lines with lowercase L, uppercase i, and uppercase o. I don't worry about zero because I'm not including it in any of my words.

My current wordlist has over 3.5 million strings, and aside from taking a while to start, vanitygen seems to be handling it just fine.

On another note, how come vanitygen seems to top out at 27 characters for an address? When I tried to specify a 28-character address, it said it was too long. But aren't addresses usually around 33 characters? Is this a purposeful limitation in vanitygen to reduce memory usage or some other overhead? Or is it a limitation in addresses that I just don't understand? Or, maybe, is it a bug that can be fixed, please? Smiley

And yes, before everybody jumps on me, I know just how astronomical are the odds against finding a 27 or 28 character string, even case insensitively, but if I'm going to be generating and checking billions of addresses anyway I might as well check them for every string I think is interesting, even the really unlikely long ones.

Maybe I'll get lucky. Wink

-Mo
First off, thanks samr7 for an awesome and fun tool!

That being said, I've got a feature request. Is there any way vanitygen could handle two text file lists simultaneously, one case-sensitive and the other -insensitive?

I find myself with some short strings I'd like to find with exact casing and some long-shot long strings for which I don't care about case. To do this, I was running two instances of vanitygen, but then it occurred to me that one instance could skip over a lucky find that the other instance was looking for.

So, again, thanks for a great utility...but please make it better. Wink

-Mo

PS - In the meantime, I'm using some tools and scripts to create a huge wordlist of all case combinations of my target strings, essentially replicating vanitygen's case-insensitive functionality. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Jump to: