Pages:
Author

Topic: Vaping CBD (Cannabidiol) for cancer patient - page 2. (Read 6662 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
Yeah I have smoked cannabis when I was a student a few decades ago. It certainly was fun then, well, most of the time, but the experience of getting high is very different if you are stressed/in pain/anxious. What you call "high" could very well feel as extremely low. Think of it as a mood amplifier.  Also, from what I hear these days (non medical) cannabis tends to be far stronger in THC then what I smoked.

One thing I should mention is that cannabis oil is a processed drug.  That means (at least in Canada) getting caught with it can cost you a decade in prison.   Undecided

Id like to see them try jailing a terminally ill 78 year old for using pain relief. Not gonna happen. Besides, we do have laws against drugs, but they are fortunately not that insane. I might see the stuff confiscated, possibly a small fine, but if I can show its for medical use, Im quite certain they wont do anything.
Activity: 274
Merit: 250
My mother is terminally ill with lung cancer. She is getting pain killers (morphine based patches since today), but I was wondering if anyone here has experience vaping CDB (Cannabidiol) in an electronic cigarette?

The goal, obviously, is not to get her 'high', its to reduce her pain and anxiety, which is why I like the idea of vaping CDB without the THC. It would also help if it created some food craving, like a regular joint often does, because she is not eating well at all.

Is not having the 'high' absolutely essential? If I had terminal cancer I think I'd like to spend my last days as high as possible. I think the high will also contribute to reducing pain and anxiety as well as helping you eat. You could also consider edibles if you don't want to smoke or vape it.

As mentioned, getting high is not something I want to put her through. Not because Im morally opposed to it or anything, but while it can be great if you are generally feeling well, if you are nervous/depressed/or you know, dying,  there is a high risk of making that a lot worse. I understand the hallucinogenic effect depends to a large degree on the ratio of CBD/THC, so I want to avoid THC as much as I can.

Have you had experience with cannabis yourself? I suppose it all depends on the person but I don't think it would make a person worse in this case. If you fear it might though just experiment one time and see what happens. If you're with her when she tries it for the first time the worst that can happen is she'll just have to bear it for a few hours but I think the results will be positive or at least bring her some relief and it is worth trying.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
One thing I should mention is that cannabis oil is a processed drug.  That means (at least in Canada) getting caught with it can cost you a decade in prison.   Undecided

That's the reason I've never experimented with it.
legendary
My friend has lung cancer.  He was diagnosed last June. Since then he has been taking rick simpson oil everyday. His last check up a few weeks ago the doctors told him that the cancer had stopped growing and or he hadnt gotten any worse. His energy massively increased and quality of life increased once he started eating the oil daily.

a  (temporary) pause in apparent growth is a very far cry from curing. With chemo (and/or radio) therapy, its usually possible to significantly reduce the tumor size, but even that is no cure, it will always come back. I dont know what they told you, but Im sorry to say lung cancer is a death sentence, and especially if its already spread like in my mom's case. Depending on the exact type and stage, the prognosis ranges from a few month untreated to a few years with heavy chemo/radio.

As for that oil: I am more than willing to believe hemp or cannabis extracts can be very useful, heck thats why Im looking in to vaping it, it appears it may even help fighting the tumor, some clinical trials suggests it actually does that to some extend,  but that "rick simpson oil" sounds a lot like snake oil to me and if your friend or you think its an actual cure, you are probably being deceived. Reminds me of my aunt who had breast cancer, and her somewhat gullible children spent fortunes on 'alternative' treatments. I remember her sitting under some buzzing electrified metal mesh that seemed to be little else than an electric fly trap, except that it costed 1000's of euro's and obviously did absolutely nothing, not even to flies.

Now Im not saying cannabis derivatives are exactly like that, unlike the fly trap, there is evidence it can help, certainly for the symptoms, and maybe/sometimes help fight the root cause,  but its not a silver bullet and I would never dismiss the entirety of medical research in favor of some heresay testimonials on the internet from people who might have gotten lucky or misdiagnosed. If you go by the latter, than praying or a pilgrimage to Lourdes should also be considered.

Also, chemo is the wrong way to deal with this situation, especialy if you expect the oil to work.

Some of the research on CDB and THC I read suggest that aside from the positive effects on pain and mood,  it could be particularly useful in combination with chemo, because it sometimes enhances the effect of chemo. But there is a lot of conflicting evidence. As for chemo being the "wrong way", chemo in general is pretty nasty, even if the type my mother will be given has only limited side effects, and for sure at some point you have to wonder if the cure isnt worse than the disease, but unfortunately its about the only known way that really does work to some extend. How much and at what cost, we'll have to find out. Only when we've seen the results can I judge if its the "wrong way" for her, and if possibly gaining a (miserable) year is a worthwhile tradeoff at her age.
legendary
After 3 months the cancer should be gone or well on its way.

There is no curing from this kind of cancer. In fact, depending how the chemo will work, its unlikely she will live another 3 months.

Oh, and she will be high

As mentioned, getting high is not something I want to put her through. Not because Im morally opposed to it or anything, but while it can be great if you are generally feeling well, if you are nervous/depressed/or you know, dying,  there is a high risk of making that a lot worse. I understand the hallucinogenic effect depends to a large degree on the ratio of CBD/THC, so I want to avoid THC as much as I can.

If it were my mother I would just plant some seeds in her garden and then make my own oil. That could take about 4 to 5 months. If time is crucial you can get cannabis oil from the dark markets on Tor.

and you're likely to get very high THC contents there, and relatively low CBD levels. I could probably get medical grade oils in the Netherlands, but can you just vape that stuff or mix it in some eliquid?

The Oil is typically sold in syringes. The syringes are used to inject the oil into gel capsules that are then swallowed. This way you can regulate your doses. Start small, like a grain of rice sized dose, and work your way up over the course of a month.

Vaping it would deliver it pretty much directly where its needed, while giving an even easier way to dose it. Im no MD, but that kinda makes more sense to me. But if I cant find any hard info, I may try just capsules.

If you do some Google searches you'll find a plethora of information.

Ill watch that docu later, but the problem with google searches; if you search for free energy devices or faked moonlandings, you also find a "plethora" of information. But finding something more or less authoritative on this subject seems hard. Or even first hand experience.  Anyway, I asked my neighbor, who is a MD and an internist and has been doing double duty as our family doctor. She is looking in to it. But its kinda ironic to think she could supply me with opiates like morphine and cocaine, but probably not with cannabis derivatives.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
My mule don't like people laughing
My mother is terminally ill with lung cancer. She is getting pain killers (morphine based patches since today), but I was wondering if anyone here has experience vaping CDB (Cannabidiol) in an electronic cigarette?

The goal, obviously, is not to get her 'high', its to reduce her pain and anxiety, which is why I like the idea of vaping CDB without the THC. It would also help if it created some food craving, like a regular joint often does, because she is not eating well at all.

I noticed you can buy CDB based eliquids, apparently even ~legally, but I have no idea if the those concentrations are high enough to do anything, or if its just a marketing gimmick. Also, Im a moderately experienced vaper myself, but have no idea if I need a special atomizer for this, I heard it was very thick ?

Any pointers would be appreciated, doctors here are not well versed in this yet.

Vaping is okay but I don't think it will help much. She needs to start ingesting cannabis oil in small doses and work her way up to 1gm/day or more. After 3 months the cancer should be gone or well on its way. Oh, and she will be high.

If it were my mother I would just plant some seeds in her garden and then make my own oil. That could take about 4 to 5 months. If time is crucial you can get cannabis oil from the dark markets on Tor.

The Oil is typically sold in syringes. The syringes are used to inject the oil into gel capsules that are then swallowed. This way you can regulate your doses. Start small, like a grain of rice sized dose, and work your way up over the course of a month.

The science behind cannabanoids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=like1CuG4dA

Rick Simpson is the guy that discovered/re-discovered this cure. If you do some Google searches you'll find a plethora of information.
legendary
The dosage in those juices is extremely low, there's no way you could vape enough to get worthwhile effects even if you're sub-ohming it.  It would take like 10ml for a reasonable amount.  Not to mention the majority of the sites that have it seem like scams

the legal limit in the EU appears to be 4% CDB

http://www.zamnesia.com/359-cbd-oil

I have no idea what concentrations would be required to have an effect without 24/7 chain vaping?

Edit: you may be able to mix some of this in juice (haven't tried the site, use at your own risk).  Would be better off with an oil vape like Vod recommended for that though.  But if you're going for stealth, it's worth a shot

Arent they all "oil"s ? I mean, the base components of eliquids are PG or VG, derived from from animal or vegital oils and they appear oily to me.
Activity: 476
Merit: 500
I like boobies
I don't know anything about vaping, but it wasn't long ago I saw a video about a strain called 'Charlotte's Web', which was specifically bred by the Stanley brothers to be high in CBD and low in THC. (Charlotte's Web was named after, Charlotte Figi, a young girl who suffered from Dravet Syndrome, a severe form of epilepsy)

Here's the video I saw. CNN documentary on Charlotte's Web, medical marijuana treating seizure disorders

Here's an article about Stanley Brothers Social Enterprises. http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/techknow/blog/2014/3/7/touring-the-marijuanafacilitygrowingplantstosavechildrenslives.html

Here is a transcript of an interview 'TechKnow' had with them. ('Edited for length and clarity.') http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/techknow/blog/2014/3/4/the-chemical-brotherscoloradofamilymakesgoodinmedicalpotbusiness.html

Jesse and Joel Stanley, along with three of their brothers, began growing marijuana as a family business in 2008, when Colorado passed its medical-marijuana law. With a focus on cancer treatment and pain management, the Stanley brothers now own greenhouses, dispensaries and labs across the state. They also started Realm of Caring, a nonprofit aimed at educating the public about medicinal marijuana and increasing access for patients across the country.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to your mom and your family.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
I don't know how good an electronic cigarette will be with oil.

Your best bet is something like the Ascent by Da Vinci.  It is made to process the oil and clean easy.

http://www.davincivaporizer.com/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci/

What country are you in?

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
We are the champions of the night
The dosage in those juices is extremely low, there's no way you could vape enough to get worthwhile effects even if you're sub-ohming it.  It would take like 10ml for a reasonable amount.  Not to mention the majority of the sites that have it seem like scams

Edit: you may be able to mix some of this in juice (haven't tried the site, use at your own risk).  Would be better off with an oil vape like Vod recommended for that though.  But if you're going for stealth, it's worth a shot
legendary

I noticed you can buy CDB based eliquids, apparently even ~legally, but I have no idea if the those concentrations are high enough to do anything, or if its just a marketing gimmick. Also, Im a moderately experienced vaper myself, but have no idea if I need a special atomizer for this, I heard it was very thick ?

Any pointers would be appreciated, doctors here are not well versed in this yet.
Pages:
Jump to: