Pages:
Author

Topic: VEGA 64 - Cannot Enable HBCC on 2/6 cards in rig after reboot. - page 2. (Read 5710 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
On blockchain drivers, 8GB of system RAM, 48GB of Virtual mem.  I can enable HBCC on 4/6 Vega 64's without issue.  I can in rare cases after a full clean reinstall get 5/6 cards to work.  RAM and VMEM is not the issue here.  Shot my Virtual mem up to 96GB and my system mem up to 32GB.  Same outcome. 4/6 can HBCC, 2 cannot.
Activity: 6
Is it better for Vega to use the new 17.9.3 drivers if you have 4 vegas and 2 rx580. It is impossible to get the HBCC working on more than 2 vegas even having 16 Gb RAM + 80Gb virtual mem with the blockchain drivers...
Activity: 35
But I noticed strange thing - the first card had it ON. I disabled it. Then connected another two cards and they had both off. Have not tried on the others after it. Is that normal?

In amd driverland, everything is normal!

Thats why these are called beta drivers. Wink

BTW, anybody tried driver clean reinstall with all cards plugged in?
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
How do you make them mine monero with 4 and something else with the other two?

A friend with 5 found a solution, that is working (at least for him). I am going to try it with the next restart.
After reboot - change virtual ram size. In his case he changed from 90 to 80. But I guess any change would do the trick. And then move sliders and confirm the HBCC size.

For me it worked with 5 once, when I upped the virtual ram from 64 to 80. That info I got from him have not tried yet, as I am very busy today, but will do with the next restart.
In any case, to make 6 work, it seems we need 96 or more virtual ram, and I simply don't have that much space on the SSD. Someone with bigger SSD should try it.

Isolate the two bads cards, launch Claymore with -di flag to only use those two cards.

You need ~8GB per card of virtual memory.  Just launch xmr-stak-amd with 1 GPU and watch your virtual memory usage jump.  It is linear with each card you add.  Also the virtual memory only appears important when launching xmr-stak-amd.  I will try messing with virtual memory settings and restarting my miner when I get a chance to see if that helps.   With 4xVEGA 64 @ 1900H I need 32GB Virtual Memory.  When I add the other two cards (that refuse HBCC settings) my virtual memory needs hit 48GB.  So it appears all cards are indeed requested 8GB extra memory with our intensity settings however 2 of them are stuck at the low 'non-hbcc' hashrate of 1300H.

TLDR; I don't think we need 96GB of Virtual Mem.  I believe it is 8GB per card.

Well, the 5th card had never worked for me before I set it from 64 to 80 ... So I don't know. You may be right, you may be not Smiley
A thing to note - the ONE time it worked for me, I had disabled onboard video, and connected a monitor to one of the cards.
The guy who has these 5 working, told me that he has all of the other 4 connected one to another with HDMI cables, and the 5th to a monitor. Still after restart it worked for him on 3 only. After restart and change to vram size, all 5 came back online at full speed.

Btw - about crossfire - I noticed, that there is a setting for it only when the card is connected to a Monitor.
But I noticed strange thing - the first card had it ON. I disabled it. Then connected another two cards and they had both off. Have not tried on the others after it. Is that normal?

A friend with 5 found a solution, that is working (at least for him). I am going to try it with the next restart.
After reboot - change virtual ram size. In his case he changed from 90 to 80. But I guess any change would do the trick. And then move sliders and confirm the HBCC size.

For me it worked with 5 once, when I upped the virtual ram from 64 to 80. That info I got from him have not tried yet, as I am very busy today, but will do with the next restart.
In any case, to make 6 work, it seems we need 96 or more virtual ram, and I simply don't have that much space on the SSD. Someone with bigger SSD should try it.

Isolate the two bads cards, launch Claymore with -di flag to only use those two cards.

You need ~8GB per card of virtual memory.  Just launch xmr-stak-amd with 1 GPU and watch your virtual memory usage jump.  It is linear with each card you add.  Also the virtual memory only appears important when launching xmr-stak-amd.  I will try messing with virtual memory settings and restarting my miner when I get a chance to see if that helps.   With 4xVEGA 64 @ 1900H I need 32GB Virtual Memory.  When I add the other two cards (that refuse HBCC settings) my virtual memory needs hit 48GB.  So it appears all cards are indeed requested 8GB extra memory with our intensity settings however 2 of them are stuck at the low 'non-hbcc' hashrate of 1300H.

TLDR; I don't think we need 96GB of Virtual Mem.  I believe it is 8GB per card.
Activity: 115

I have been unable to locate a solution. 

More info though.  If I do a completely clean install with 1 GPU connected.  Then boot with all 6.  Disable crossfire.  I can enable HBCC on 5/6 cards before reboot.  Reboot once and it is 4/6 cards forever.  Given we have to reboot to install the soft power tables I don't even consider this a half a solution. 

I am sure the problem is addressable by AMD. 

For now mine monero with four and mine something else with the other two.
Activity: 7
Has anyone managed to figure this out yet? I'm thinking about adding 2 more Vega to my rig of 4 (and fill out the 2 empty slots in this server case).

I'm guessing from this post I absolutely should not be doing that?
Does anyone know of a way to compare the PCIE lane setup across GPU's or at least how Windows sees it?

According to GPU-Z they are all PCIE 3.0 16x.  I need more details than that. 
Activity: 71
Exact same issue, when plugged in PCI-E 1x any alteration to HBCC even though it is shown in AMD Control Center has not effect. Hash is 1300 instead of the 1900 it should reach.

I have also run into a bug that is preventing me from installing 6 Vega on a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 board.

I have substituted it for an R9 290 and the BSOD on driver installs for the 6th card have went away.

Seems like 4x Vega Rigs are trouble free though.
Activity: 4
Ok, weird... Thanks for the info, I'll try tomorrow with a second monitor - let's see what happens...  Huh
More info.

I got a dummy hdmi plug.  So far my VEGA 64s have not needed one.  They always run fine monitor or not.

While xmr-stak-amd was mining I plugged a dummy plug into one of the two problematic cards.  Everything froze, screen went black, flickered a bit, then came back.  xmr-stak-amd looked stalled but eventually came back to life.

Check hash rates.  The one card I plugged the dummy plug into was hashing at 1900H but only for ~10sec!!  Then it dropped back down.

So, I figure lets reboot with the hdmi dummy plug connected from the start.  If I do this, I cannot enable HBCC on any card as the machine always crashes. 

So the best I can get now is to get everything all setup for 1900H (clock speeds, HBCC toggled).  Then once xmr-stak is running I can shove a dummy plug into a card hashing low and get ~10s of 1900H before it drops down to 1300H. 
My next move is likely a clean install of Windows.

That's why I hate Windows... this randomness sucks  Embarrassed
Please let me know if it can fix the problem... Smiley

If not we have to wait for HBCC support in the linux drivers I guess...
The effect on xmr-stak-amd is 1300H/S vs 1900H/S, big deal.. Sad

Yup, exactly that.  I am losing 1200H because 2 cards won't enable HBCC.  I mean not the end of the world but I hate having problems I cannot solve.  

My next move is likely a clean install of Windows.

Given I tried OLDComer's power table mod and it took perfectly on 4/6 cards.  The same 2 cards that I cannot enable HBCC on simply ignore it.  The registry section for those 2 cards has the soft power table entry and it is correct.  Yet those 2 cards just reset to AMD Stock settings when I hit reset in Wattman while the other 4 jump to OLDComer's settings.  

Clearly this is a clue or related to the same HBCC problem (or an annoying coincidence).

So I am thinking this problem is solvable.  I am thinking Windows has done something wrong with the card.
The effect on xmr-stak-amd is 1300H/S vs 1900H/S, big deal.. Sad
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
What effect does the HBCC have on mining? From everything I read it is a technology with no real use. In lab tests they had to absolutely destroy the card running 8k resolution benchmarks to even see HBCC in use. In real world gaming and workstation applications it is 100% useless.
Hey there,

just registered here because I got the exact same problem with 6x VEGA 56... 4 running with HBCC and 2 not.. AMD Settings crashes every time after activating hbcc on any card.

Let me know if you can figure something out Smiley

Would love to use linux, because I hate that gui stuff on windows, but as far as I know there is no HBCC support on linux yet...
More info.

I followed the power table mods seen here (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.22158580)

It worked on 4 of the 6 cards.  The same two cards when I go hit "reset" after reboot retain the default stock settings.  All other cards are functioning nicely with those power table mods.

So, the same two cards refuse to read their registry settings from the same location as all the others.  Definitely something up with Windows I think.  I might try Linux.
Activity: 81
you tries use Linux?
on linux i have autooverclock and autofan on nvidia
i heard AMD-gpupro driver is good work on Vega now
So reading up on ROCm support CPUs I noticed it claims to require Gen3 PCIE. 

My bios I had set to Gen 2.  I changed it to Gen 3.  Did not help. 

Given at one point both these cards worked.  That one point was the very time I booted with them plugged in. 

So it is very likely a Windows issue.  I should try a complete clean install. 

Is there anyway to check if the pci-e lane is directly to cpu pci-e lanes or to southbridge switch?  I examined Windows System Information and could not tell from there.
Pages:
Jump to: