Pages:
Author

Topic: Velocity of Bitcoin and Deflation - page 2. (Read 3903 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
June 10, 2012, 01:09:07 AM
I see how it leads to unnecessary consumption. Now that you mention it, that seems like a no brainer.

I do not see how it leads to someone being able to skim value away from the productive. Can you elaborate?
In order for inflation to occur new currency (money or credit) needs to be introduced into the economy. The introduction of new currency devalues each unit proportionally but the first people who get to spend it do so before the devaluation manifests. So the way the monetary system works now people who have access to credit creation get to enjoy privileges indistinguishable from those of a counterfeiter - the ability to consume value produced by other people without any need to produce an equivalent amount of value first for someone else first.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
June 10, 2012, 12:56:06 AM
Deflation means that in order to get people to spend their money you must actually offer products and services that are compelling enough on their own merits to convince them to part with currency. Inflation pushes people towards unnecessary consumption because the are driven to spend their money more quickly as it loses value.

Naturally people who want a system that allows them to live comfortable lives by skimming value away from the productive prefer inflation and high velocity to deflation and capital formation.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
June 10, 2012, 12:47:24 AM
This entire thread came from this paragraph of a time magazine article.
"As an economic principle, velocity has been considered a constant. According to Gelleri, it was stable in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s but starting in the '80s velocity has decreased as more money has been diverted to the financial sector. This scenario may benefit financial centers, but money tends to drain away from other places. Gelleri says that both the Euro and the U.S. dollar have slowed way down. "In the last several months velocity has declined sharply because there's less GDP and more money," he says. "The money doesn't flow. More money is being printed, but it's not going into circulation."

Velocity of money is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_of_money

To my knowledge, a flourishing economy has a high velocity currency. Bitcoin, being a deflationary currency, by definition does not promote velocity of money because you are encouraged to hold on to the money because it will rise in price because of deflation.
Or is it deflation that causes velocity?

I realize I am making deflation of a currency, and an economy one and the same. Are they not the same?

Discuss...
Pages:
Jump to: