Pages:
Author

Topic: Vertigo - Lightweight Vertcoin Wallet - page 3. (Read 6112 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
This is great
Thank you so much for supporting Vertcoin  Wink
nov
Activity: 433
Merit: 251
Independent crypto developer
Yes, vertigo.log file would be useful to have a look.

I more or less already know where it is. But it is not clear what causes this.

Looks like way to go is to create vertcoinJ library from bitcoinJ 0.12.

As WowDoge users with 0.12 library have no problem.

Deleting the vertcoins.vertspvchain file and then right clicking on the .vtcwallet file and choosing open and browsing to the vertigo.exe is the only thing that ever caused the wallet to synchronize and show the value. The initial wallet as set up out of the box never synchronized. Choosing Resynchronize from the tools menu looks like it doesn't do anything. Exporting and then importing the private key never synchronized. It just always showed a green dot and "Online" at the bottom and a 0 balance no matter what I did until I did what was posted in the reddit link earlier. That caused a very obvious re-sync where the dot turned yellow and it said resynchronizing for several minutes and then updated to show the value.

If you want to look at my log file I can send it to you. I skimmed through it but it is 24MB of text and the same release notes are scattered through it over and over again, so it was pretty hard to make any sense of without knowing what to look for to do a search.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
Deleting the vertcoins.vertspvchain file and then right clicking on the .vtcwallet file and choosing open and browsing to the vertigo.exe is the only thing that ever caused the wallet to synchronize and show the value. The initial wallet as set up out of the box never synchronized. Choosing Resynchronize from the tools menu looks like it doesn't do anything. Exporting and then importing the private key never synchronized. It just always showed a green dot and "Online" at the bottom and a 0 balance no matter what I did until I did what was posted in the reddit link earlier. That caused a very obvious re-sync where the dot turned yellow and it said resynchronizing for several minutes and then updated to show the value.

If you want to look at my log file I can send it to you. I skimmed through it but it is 24MB of text and the same release notes are scattered through it over and over again, so it was pretty hard to make any sense of without knowing what to look for to do a search.
nov
Looks like vertcoinJ library 0.11 issue.

I will need to port vertcoinJ to version 0.12 bitcoinJ looks like.

(vertcoinJ 0.11 library is also used in the Vertcoin Android Wallet)

Thats what I get when I try to create a new wallet. Tried it in vertigos folder and also other paths.
I'm running Wowdoge on the same machine without probs
Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Thats what I get when I try to create a new wallet. Tried it in vertigos folder and also other paths.
I'm running Wowdoge on the same machine without probs
nov
I know only about 3 users had the same issue.

Nobody else report anything else.

I am trying to fix even this.

But I am just telling how it is and everybody can see donation account balance.

I would feel good if anybody who is using the Vertigo software without issue if could simply donate what he or she could afford. Even 1 VTC is good!

But possible amount very depends per user how they feel they can afford and support in return.

Nobody has same issue with WowDoge lightweight Dogecoin wallet I developed earlier. And it has about 100 new users daily.

So the code is pretty stable already. If you do backup of the wallet in any of the 3 form: backup of wallet file, export private keys, or print paper backup, prior use of the new wallet or new address you never loose your coins. It is pretty safe! It does not matter what unexpected behaviour can happen then!

The difference in Vertigo and WowDoge is that Vertigo uses version 0.11 of bitcoinJ, WowDoge uses 0.12.

If you could give helping hand with debuting and fixing of the issue that would be way to go.

This is free/non commercial/open source software. But people expect 24/7 support. There is no other funding. Only in the form of donations. But nearly only very few donated.

Although it took many hours to develop Vertigo, only very few donated. You can see amount of donated here: https://explorer.vertcoin.org/address/VertGv5nVwYYR7mTmDDeAP9et1NJyAsC9P. There is just 0.03 VTC!

So if you want to keep my motivation of giving helping hand to users and provide updates of this software, something really should happen from user base in return.

I normally charge around $25 USD per hour by providing such technical support.

Hey now, I wasn't "expecting 24/7 support". I was simply asking the collective knowledge of this forum for help. Plus I assumed bug reports would be a good thing, especially if you want to stabilize the app enough to where people will actually feel safe using it. Hopefully I'm just misinterpreting your message, but it sounded to me like you were demanding payment to debug your own software.

Anyways, I'll dig through the log file you mentioned for anything obvious myself. I'm offering my help debugging here if you are interested. I haven't touched Java since college, but I've got 10 years of professional experience as a developer, so I can probably debug better than the average person.

As for the donations, what exactly are you expecting? CryptoCurrency in general is still not in widespread use, alternates to Bitcoin are even newer and more niche, Vertcoin is only a few months old, and your software's life is measured in weeks at this point. So your user base is incredibly small, and from the looks of it many of those users are having problems. You can't expect users to donate when they can't even get the wallet to work in the first place! Even if everything works perfectly, very few people will ever donate. Thats just the way people are. You need truly massive numbers of users to ever generate much from donations alone.
This is free/non commercial/open source software. But people expect 24/7 support. There is no other funding. Only in the form of donations. But nearly only very few donated.

Although it took many hours to develop Vertigo, only very few donated. You can see amount of donated here: https://explorer.vertcoin.org/address/VertGv5nVwYYR7mTmDDeAP9et1NJyAsC9P. There is just 0.03 VTC!

So if you want to keep my motivation of giving helping hand to users and provide updates of this software, something really should happen from user base in return.

Hey now, I wasn't "expecting 24/7 support". I was simply asking the collective knowledge of this forum for help. Plus I assumed bug reports would be a good thing, especially if you want to stabilize the app enough to where people will actually feel safe using it. Hopefully I'm just misinterpreting your message, but it sounded to me like you were demanding payment to debug your own software.

Anyways, I'll dig through the log file you mentioned for anything obvious myself. I'm offering my help debugging here if you are interested. I haven't touched Java since college, but I've got 10 years of professional experience as a developer, so I can probably debug better than the average person.

As for the donations, what exactly are you expecting? CryptoCurrency in general is still not in widespread use, alternates to Bitcoin are even newer and more niche, Vertcoin is only a few months old, and your software's life is measured in weeks at this point. So your user base is incredibly small, and from the looks of it many of those users are having problems. You can't expect users to donate when they can't even get the wallet to work in the first place! Even if everything works perfectly, very few people will ever donate. Thats just the way people are. You need truly massive numbers of users to ever generate much from donations alone.
nov
What kind of operating system do you have?

Where is your wallet file located?

Is this writable location?

Could you send a log file vertigo.log.

Did you try to store file in other location?

Some other users observed similar issue. And they fixed it. See details:

http://redd.it/24pqh1

I am trying to solve this issue to not happen. It looks like only Windows bitcoinJ library issue. I am communicating directly with Mike Hern in bitcoinJ mailing list.

I'm having some pretty big trouble. I'm not personally using this wallet but I set it up on a friend of mine's machine. I then sent him a few VTC but they never showed up in his wallet. I've tried resyncing, exporting and importing the keys, creating a new wallet and importing the keys. No matter what it still shows a zero balance even though it is "online" and "synchronized".  Here is a link to the transaction in the block explorer:
https://explorer.vertcoin.org/tx/63192c3c6ab5909a8f02e74fcd8f8abd5abcc9222dbea0388e3fd75204c49bdb

It definitely shows that the address received the coins. What are we doing wrong?

Also, after updating to 0.3.9.9 I can no longer create new wallets. It fails with the error "Failed to delete cononical wallet file for replacement with autosave" every time. I've tried it on two different computers to verify. It worked before the update and then immediately stops after.
I'm having some pretty big trouble. I'm not personally using this wallet but I set it up on a friend of mine's machine. I then sent him a few VTC but they never showed up in his wallet. I've tried resyncing, exporting and importing the keys, creating a new wallet and importing the keys. No matter what it still shows a zero balance even though it is "online" and "synchronized".  Here is a link to the transaction in the block explorer:
https://explorer.vertcoin.org/tx/63192c3c6ab5909a8f02e74fcd8f8abd5abcc9222dbea0388e3fd75204c49bdb

It definitely shows that the address received the coins. What are we doing wrong?

Also, after updating to 0.3.9.9 I can no longer create new wallets. It fails with the error "Failed to delete cononical wallet file for replacement with autosave" every time. I've tried it on two different computers to verify. It worked before the update and then immediately stops after.

For another experiment I imported the private key for that address into the standard Vertcoin wallet and the balance shows the correct amount of ~3.08 VTC.
I'm having some pretty big trouble. I'm not personally using this wallet but I set it up on a friend of mine's machine. I then sent him a few VTC but they never showed up in his wallet. I've tried resyncing, exporting and importing the keys, creating a new wallet and importing the keys. No matter what it still shows a zero balance even though it is "online" and "synchronized".  Here is a link to the transaction in the block explorer:

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
-------
nov
In Simplified Payment Verification (SPV) mode, named after the section of Satoshi's paper that describes it, clients connect to an arbitrary full node and download only the block headers. They verify the chain headers connect together correctly and that the difficulty is high enough. They then request transactions matching particular patterns from the remote node (ie, payments to your addresses), which provides copies of those transactions along with a Merkle branch linking them to the block in which they appeared. This exploits the Merkle tree structure to allow proof of inclusion without needing the full contents of the block.

More information can be found here.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Scalability
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Thin_Client_Security

How does this fast sync works. Do you just download the latest part of the blockchain?
nov
Of course.

Hi Guys, is this wallet already fully operational?

Activity: 145
Merit: 10
How does this fast sync works. Do you just download the latest part of the blockchain?
Activity: 118
Merit: 100
Hi Guys, is this wallet already fully operational?
Activity: 49
Great, like multibit but for vertcoin
nov
Thank you! Will do.

Superb update. Count the download statistics for publicity.
Activity: 44
Superb update. Count the download statistics for publicity.
nov
nov
That would be very kind of you, it would be very nice thank you message of you,  Smiley highly appreciated!

Thank you so much for supporting Vertcoin. I will donate some VTCs to you later.
Pages:
Jump to: