Pages:
Author

Topic: VGA Dummy for my new cards - page 2. (Read 6553 times)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
May 14, 2011, 04:59:28 AM
Am I correct saying Windows XP doesn't require the dummy plugs for mining to work? I am planning to install WinXPPro soon.
Activity: 294
Merit: 273
May 14, 2011, 12:50:58 AM
Yes, I use dummies with a single resistor and they work fine.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
May 14, 2011, 12:28:08 AM
That is slick news... i'll be sure to try one resistor when i make mine, 1 resistor reduces the chances of a short by a whole lot.
Activity: 60
May 13, 2011, 08:23:07 PM
I have found I only need 1 resistor per plug.  Going from pin 1 to pin 6.  No need for all three.
Activity: 76
May 13, 2011, 08:21:08 PM
Another question:
I have a monitor I could plug with this DVI to VGA adapter. Will this work the same as the dummy if I plug in the monitor to the card, but not the monitor to the electricity? or I have to conect it to electricity?

Just plugging it is in fine, doesnt need to be turned on, what happens on the monitor is the exact same thing you're doing with the resistors, when plugged in it creates the loopback that lets things be detected, so if you have the spare monitor just hook it up and have 0 risk of anything going wrong.
Activity: 92
May 13, 2011, 08:12:56 PM
Do you need to have it on all the time or just when windows starts?
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
May 13, 2011, 08:08:33 PM
I also did not know that with no monitor windows would do that.
Activity: 228
Merit: 106
May 13, 2011, 08:07:29 PM
Resistors seem fine, smaller wire size is a non-issue so long as one single part of the resistor is touching any part of the inside of the socket (pretty much impossible to not have happen).  As mentioned, trip them down a bit, and maybe use the alternate trick just to be sure they don't touch.  Worst case if they do is you blow the adapter, you can't really screw up the video card this way.

Ok, that very good to know. I hope youre right.

So i guess I'll go buy more resitors and do it again, cause i just cutted the ones i had a little too much Tongue

Another question:
I have a monitor I could plug with this DVI to VGA adapter. Will this work the same as the dummy if I plug in the monitor to the card, but not the monitor to the electricity? or I have to conect it to electricity?
Activity: 76
May 13, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
Resistors seem fine, smaller wire size is a non-issue so long as one single part of the resistor is touching any part of the inside of the socket (pretty much impossible to not have happen).  As mentioned, trip them down a bit, and maybe use the alternate trick just to be sure they don't touch.  Worst case if they do is you blow the adapter, you can't really screw up the video card this way.
May 13, 2011, 07:51:18 PM
Only the windows video drivers require a monitor to be plugged in. On other systems you're fine.

Oh i didnt knew that!
Sadly, this is my own PC, so I need windows for several stuff. Maybe in the future I can made a mining rig with linux of course Smiley

Any other tips for the dummy on other solutions?
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1178
May 13, 2011, 07:48:59 PM
Only the windows video drivers require a monitor to be plugged in. On other systems you're fine.
May 13, 2011, 07:46:40 PM
As I said, i have a 6850 in my PC. When i install the new card in the same PC without doing any bridge thing (because I cant, and anyway if I could i wouldnt do either) I have to trick the card to think it has another screen plugged in to it, so this is for doing that. Since I dont have another monitor for each plug. I may have 1 spare, but not two.
Activity: 138
Merit: 11
Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
May 13, 2011, 07:42:15 PM
what are you doing, why are you putting resistors in a plug or whatever that is.
exact. OP, why are you doing this?
May 13, 2011, 07:39:52 PM
Cut the wires so the actual resistor is closer to the connector. This will also limit the chance of two legs touching. The other trick is to alternate the side the resistor is on. I didn't bother with tape and my plugs are working fine this way.

The thinner size of the wires and the middle thing is ok? Could I have problems with this or its the same thing?

I'll do that and post another pics so you can tell me if its ok or not Smiley
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
May 13, 2011, 07:38:07 PM
what are you doing, why are you putting resistors in a plug or whatever that is.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
May 13, 2011, 07:37:30 PM
Cut the wires so the actual resistor is closer to the connector. This will also limit the chance of two legs touching. The other trick is to alternate the side the resistor is on. I didn't bother with tape and my plugs are working fine this way.
May 13, 2011, 07:21:40 PM
So Im actually mining with a 6850 cyclone in my own PC, with a P8P67 Deluxe wichI think it has like 4 PCI-e. Im getting a new 5830 in 2 weeks, and then a 5850.

I've just made the dummy plug, the resistors are 68 ohms, but I noticed that the wires are thinner than the pictures I saw of other dummys. Is this ok? The blue thing is also much smaller than the ones i saw around on some forums
I've also been told than I NEED to put some thermal insulation (aislante termico in spanish) in the wires cause if they touch themselves I can kill my card. Has anyone done this already?

Here some pics of the dummy i made:
https://i.imgur.com/KMYkF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/D79Zz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YOt0e.jpg

I dont want to buy them and then kill them for not knowing such a stupid thing, sorry for asking this but I have to be sure about it hehe
Pages:
Jump to: