Pages:
Author

Topic: [VIDEO] Butterfly Labs (BFL) Bitforce SC ASIC Test - page 4. (Read 12553 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Anyone can tell me:
1 why only 15 nonce like response is returned?
2 what was he tested? single chip? hash core?
3 why it take ~20s to have the power to return idle?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Yay! they are not a scam at least. This means they'll eventually ship a product.

fyi: we reached that stage 1.2 month before we shipped. Let's see how they handle their remainder issues.

Good one Yifu!  Cheesy I LOLed.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Well, they had some type of chip(s) in that board, because it drew almost 160w when they ran the test.

Others were right in suggesting it was likely a dummy load for them to test the power distribution. Could literally just put a series of resistors under the heatsink and manually ram current through.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Well, they had some type of chip(s) in that board, because it drew almost 160w when they ran the test.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
Yay! they are not a scam at least. This means they'll eventually ship a product.

fyi: we reached that stage 1.2 month before we shipped. Let's see how they handle their remainder issues.

Really?  If they were a scam you could expect as realistic a 'prototype test' as they could muster, and I saw nothing in that vid which proved much of anything.  It amazes me to see how many people consider a vid of some numbers changing on a screen to be 'proof' of anything more than a tiny amount of scripting ability.

You could also expect that they would make the 'test' look just good enough to give people hope (and thus not cancel their pre-orders) but bad enough to have a reason for another bunch of delays.

The only thing which gives me some amount of hope is that they made things look worse than they really needed to.

As I said for Avalon, I won't believe with a high degree of certainty that they can hash unless they can publish a set of hashes within {x} amount of time of a known dataset being globally available.  And even then, not until a very credible third-party is standing over their shoulder to make sure that they don't have an Avalon hiding under the desk or something of that nature.  I wouldn't trust these people at all.

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
does it even MH/s!

The more important question is:
WILL IT BLEND?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
does it even MH/s!
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Is it just me, or do the lights dim when he flips on the BetterFail thingy?
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
Saw this on unofficial IRC. I'll let you guys pick it apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C4bgho5JSI

Can you embed on here? Is it that flash tag?!

I feel I speak for a lot of the community here when I say...

HOO-BLOODY-RAY!!!
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination

this
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
https://www.chynge.net/
Im surprised that their VR solution can even handle the wattage!!!   They were targeting 60w!    They must have known they where going to exceed their power budget!
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
Im confused....
Now, Im not that versed in power circuitry ... but how the hell can the PCB power circuitry design be so shitty that the board itself is using nearly 2x the power than the chip? iirc the SC was supposed to be like 60watts right? The whole unit is using 150ish .. how the fuck can the board be using 90watts?!?!?
Did some noob engineer design the board or some shit? I mean really.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *dies*

So they've tested that the board can handle the data. They are still to:

Actually have a chip
Actually make the chip work
Actually bin the chip
Sort out the communication protocols, never mind proper USB interfaces etc
Get the power consumption down to ANYTHING near what they promised
Actually make it hash
Actually make it hash to the required speed
Actually make it hash consistently
Actually make it hashable 24/7
Actually prevent it overheating [That's 160W TDP on the equivalent of a dual slot GPU, which would typically warrant ~40CFM - they have 0, AND will be placing many in a an enclosed case]
Work out how to do the power distribution
Make the shit fit in the cases.
Work out sufficient testing algorithms and the logistics of burning in '300 units a day'
Sort out the logistics of labelling, warranties, who gets what.
Actually deliver anything that works for more than a few days.

ETA 5 months, GG.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
What component can draw 42W at idle?

I think they should provide an ATX PSU power supply converter where many standard 12V connectors can be used
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
42W at idle?  Good lawd.  My x6500 FPGAs only burns up 17.2W at full load...

Didn't they like...put a dummy load in place of the ASIC chips and actually test these boards or something while they were waiting on chip delivery?

I guess not.
Activity: 310
Yeah, a couple million hashes on testnet or something would be more than fair, shouldn't take that long to do it. This video didn't show ANYTHING of substance.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
No hashing. Just testing, useless video.
Activity: 294
Great. They are now in the prototype stage.
Pages:
Jump to: