Pages:
Author

Topic: VIDEO: OpenBazaar Beta 1.0 - page 2. (Read 2676 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014
September 22, 2014, 07:36:38 PM
OpenBazaar and it’s dependencies are around 5 GB, so we recommend 7 GBs or more

Can anyone expand on this? Because that seems... crazy. Like, wtf.

(Maybe they are including the Linux OS in that calculation?)

Also, is there a reason their install tutorial uses a VPS? Is always-on a requirement?
No, you are reading the wrong tutorial, a VPS with 7GB or more HD space is for nodes and not clients.
For linux and OSX only right now. Here is what you want :
https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-beta-1-0-tutorial/
Not for amateurs but people with some computer knowledge at this stage.

Weird, I typed exactly the same commands into terminal and it couldn't get OpenBazaar to run.
Maybe it's because I didn't put it into the home directory.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
September 22, 2014, 07:20:02 PM
Please let me know when we can safely and securely buy weed on there. I could use some.

SilkRoad does that pretty well actually.
From what I have heard there are actually a lot of scams on SR2 (and were on SR1 after the march 2013 bubble). I would assume there be a lot of scams on this "marketplace" as well

As much as on Ebay. Open Bazaar will attempt to use cryptographic tools to lower the risks but no marketplace can claim to be scammer free, even physical ones.

Correct ebay scams can work in various ways and also as a seller you have ebay itself scamming you by putting everything on the seller if a buyer is unhappy for whatever reason.   I'd think twice before selling a high priced item on ebay these days.
Ebay has a set of policies that both the buyer and the seller know in advance of entering into a transaction. They both should know how something will turn out based on the facts of a specific case and the documentation each of them has compiled.

With openBazer, every escrow will be somewhat different. If you were to present one set of facts to three people who act as escrow you would probably get three different results. None of them would likely be able to justify their results with a written policy or procedure that both the buyer and seller was aware of prior to using his services. This essentially makes it easy to try to scam as someone could simply make a bunch of shell accounts, use an escrow that they know will act in their favor and carry out the scam many times.
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
September 22, 2014, 07:15:27 PM

Also, is there a reason their install tutorial uses a VPS? Is always-on a requirement?

No, you are reading the wrong tutorial, a VPS with 7GB or more HD space is for nodes and not clients.

For linux and OSX only right now. Here is what you want :

https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-beta-1-0-tutorial/

Not for amateurs but people with some computer knowledge at this stage.

Activity: 108
Merit: 10
September 22, 2014, 07:08:00 PM
Open Bazar is not that great a name.
Merit: 501
September 22, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
I know that the code is open-source. This means that someone can fork and create his own 'OpenBazar' platform?

Open bazaar is already a fork of darkmarket and both are open source so sure go ahead and fork the code:

https://github.com/OpenBazaar

https://github.com/darkwallet/darkmarket

Activity: 508
Merit: 500
September 22, 2014, 06:39:30 PM
I know that the code is open-source. This means that someone can fork and create his own 'OpenBazar' platform?
Activity: 688
ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!
September 22, 2014, 04:24:41 PM

legendary
Activity: 1456
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
September 22, 2014, 01:07:47 PM
Please let me know when we can safely and securely buy weed on there. I could use some.

From what I have heard there are actually a lot of scams on SR2 (and were on SR1 after the march 2013 bubble). I would assume there be a lot of scams on this "marketplace" as well

Did you watch the video...looks like they have a pretty good escrow feature that is implemented..
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
September 22, 2014, 10:58:29 AM
Fuck yeah! Too bad I have to wait for the windows version but you guys will definitely see my Jewellery up on there when I can install Open Bazaar.

I'm sure there will be a windows version eventually, but you should really use linux it's great. Don't have to worry about viruses and its free!

lol I only have one computer and so on, it's going to be in a month anyway so I'll just wait Cheesy looks great so far though.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
September 22, 2014, 10:49:40 AM
So is this a marketplace similar to Silk Road, where you can buy and sell things using Bitcoin securely?

I see there's source code for it on Github, and a client can run on OSX and Linux, but no Windows installer yet.  Any hope for a Windows build, for the simpletons out there(majority of people)?
September 22, 2014, 10:34:48 AM
The best version would be mobile computing. That will increase the nodes count tremendously and further secure the network.

I'm waiting for Android version so i can set up shop while taking a dump. Used underwear anyone?
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
September 22, 2014, 10:27:09 AM
Fuck yeah! Too bad I have to wait for the windows version but you guys will definitely see my Jewellery up on there when I can install Open Bazaar.

I'm sure there will be a windows version eventually, but you should really use linux it's great. Don't have to worry about viruses and its free!
legendary
Activity: 1232
mining is so 2012-2013
September 22, 2014, 10:17:07 AM
Correct ebay scams can work in various ways and also as a seller you have ebay itself scamming you by putting everything on the seller if a buyer is unhappy for whatever reason.   I'd think twice before selling a high priced item on ebay these days.

Selling expensive items on Ebay does carry risk for the seller.  Many a buyer has said the product didn't arrive or was damaged or wasn't as advertised. 
legendary
Activity: 1316
September 22, 2014, 02:55:01 AM

As much as on Ebay. Open Bazaar will attempt to use cryptographic tools to lower the risks but no marketplace can claim to be scammer free, even physical ones.

Correct ebay scams can work in various ways and also as a seller you have ebay itself scamming you by putting everything on the seller if a buyer is unhappy for whatever reason.   I'd think twice before selling a high priced item on ebay these days.
legendary
Activity: 1540
September 22, 2014, 01:38:54 AM
Activity: 374
Merit: 250
September 22, 2014, 01:35:58 AM

They will not actually use cryptographic tools, they will use escrow to try to prevent scams. However the fact that reputation can essentially be purchased (and no other useful use for reputation)will likely essentially make it easier to scam users.
legendary
--------------->¿?
September 22, 2014, 12:58:55 AM

Activity: 374
Merit: 250
September 22, 2014, 12:25:25 AM

legendary
--------------->¿?
September 21, 2014, 10:09:00 PM

Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
September 21, 2014, 10:03:09 PM
Pages:
Jump to: