Pages:
Author

Topic: Virgin Coins - page 2. (Read 15398 times)

Activity: 200
Merit: 10
September 28, 2014, 02:38:03 PM
You'd have to trust the person you're buying the private key from to not know it in any which way shape or form.
Instead, use a split key generation method. This is similar to split key vanity addresses, with the only difference being that you don't really need to bother with the 'vanity' aspect (though you still could, for a premium, say). Google around for how that works.
I don't know what premium would apply to minted coins - especially since the service in question would still be involved.. could just as well use a tumbler.

Whether that, in turn, would constitute a laundering service depends on who you talk to.
If the service does use split key, then it would not be appropriate for meat space, due to timing constraints.
Activity: 138
September 28, 2014, 01:47:35 PM
This topic was discussed extensively a couple years back here on forum so you may want to search there. The Eligius pool always used to mine directly to your address. I think they still do as I checked their most recent block and it has a split gen transaction. I haven't used them in years. Other than that you would need to make a deal with a miner or pool and to my knowledge there hasn't been any settling on premiums.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
September 28, 2014, 01:15:12 PM
All bitcoins have the same value. They don't become more valuable just because they're 'fresh'.

That might be the case today. The question you need to ask is whether bitcoin will continue to be completely fungible.

If it does not remain completely fungible then it's useless as a currency just as dollars would be. I would no longer use dollars if I had to stand at a store cashier line and check each bill against a ledger before accepting it.
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
September 28, 2014, 12:55:35 PM
All bitcoins have the same value. They don't become more valuable just because they're 'fresh'.

That might be the case today. The question you need to ask is whether bitcoin will continue to be completely fungible.
Activity: 140
September 28, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
Activity: 111
September 28, 2014, 12:10:04 PM
Are you trying to buy or to sell? Buying a private key doesn't sound like a great idea. Can't the miner send coins to your own address?
GTA
Activity: 90
September 28, 2014, 11:09:44 AM
You can't trust that, for a premium, mine your own
donator
Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003
September 28, 2014, 05:54:22 AM
A virgin 50BTC block is rather cool -- but as you say trusting the seller to discard the privkey (securely) is paramount.
Well they certainly don't make them anymore. Should be worth more than 2 x 25BTC blocks.
vip
September 28, 2014, 05:36:09 AM
IMO it would be impossible to know for sure that the seller actually disregarded the private key. Not only that but if the coins are moved to an address that you do not control without you signing a TX to move them, you really do not know if it was the seller moving them, if your private keys were somehow compromised or if there was a "collision" (although this is extremely unlikely).

It is no different than owning Casascius coins. You had to trust that Casascius didn't keep all of the private keys on the holograms. He was very up front and transparent which lent a lot of credibility.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
DLISK - Next Generation Coin
September 27, 2014, 09:37:44 PM
A virgin 50BTC block is rather cool -- but as you say trusting the seller to discard the privkey (securely) is paramount.
IMO it would be impossible to know for sure that the seller actually disregarded the private key. Not only that but if the coins are moved to an address that you do not control without you signing a TX to move them, you really do not know if it was the seller moving them, if your private keys were somehow compromised or if there was a "collision" (although this is extremely unlikely).
legendary
Activity: 1666
September 27, 2014, 05:01:58 PM
Activity: 84
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
September 27, 2014, 08:00:23 AM
Sadly now barely $20K  Cry

Get them while they are cheap...  Smiley
I think this would be incredibly risky. The seller of the directly mined bitcoin could easily sell the private keys twice (or more) or they could sign and broadcast a TX out of the address at a later time, and there would be nothing the buyer could do about it because of how difficult it is to determine where a TX came from.

A possible alternative would be to sell bitcoin whose inputs are from the block subsidies for a presidium (you would actually send the bitcoin to an address that the buyer controls). My concern about doing this however is that it would put the fungibility of bitcoin into question.

That is a good businesses to sell one thing twice.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
September 26, 2014, 10:39:46 PM

I think this would be incredibly risky. The seller of the directly mined bitcoin could easily sell the private keys twice (or more) or they could sign and broadcast a TX out of the address at a later time, and there would be nothing the buyer could do about it because of how difficult it is to determine where a TX came from.

A possible alternative would be to sell bitcoin whose inputs are from the block subsidies for a presidium (you would actually send the bitcoin to an address that the buyer controls). My concern about doing this however is that it would put the fungibility of bitcoin into question.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
September 26, 2014, 09:09:58 PM
Hello Bitcoin Community,

I would like to discuss the topic of "virgin" bitcoins. Specifically, I would like to discuss the possibilities of being able to purchase a private key to coins mined directly to paper wallets.

• Is this a niche market that only a few zealots would be interested in or this is more appealing to a broad range of Bitcoiners?
  • What kind of premium, if any, could be associated with virgin coins?
  • Would you consider a service that sells virgin coins for non-virgin bitcoins a laundering service?
  • Is a service like this appealing for payment via meat space methods including wire and cash?

I've always found this topic to be interesting and I look forward to your responses.

Best,
James

I think as time progresses, this idea may get more and more merit.   This would only be pertinent to a small niche of people.  I would say that 75% or more of the people in BTC only care about the price, because they want the $500 they invested to be worth $10,000 or more.  I think "virgin" coins as you call them would be exceptionally cool once all the coins have been mined...
vip
September 26, 2014, 09:04:11 PM

legendary
Activity: 1666
September 26, 2014, 08:55:02 PM
Figured I would bump this -- with the pricing now - a 50BTC block is almost > $40K.  A nice collector's item...

An example  -- https://blockchain.info/address/1KuD3f15jnMby9ULMbxgyrWjmS2Q7ieEZN

legendary
Activity: 1316
September 26, 2014, 05:11:41 AM

Here was me thinking Richard Branson was launching an alt coin for a quick pump and dump max keiser style  Grin
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
AltoCenter.com
September 26, 2014, 04:33:53 AM
Does it mean it can never be f***ed...up???B-)
Activity: 12
September 26, 2014, 01:18:34 AM
I am perfectly happy to sell mining contracts to your address on eliguis, for a 10% premium. Have 2x avalon, full bitfury, and many usb miners.

Any one interested in selling virgin coins ?
Activity: 19
November 25, 2013, 12:13:15 AM
It seems to me there are additional benefits to be had with 'virgin' coin.  Were you to do this, it would be completely untraceable. A paper wallet you had never touched. Random 'clean' coins sent to it.  Handy in case of emergency, eh?
Pages:
Jump to: