Pages:
Author

Topic: VOTE - POLL How many of us are here for a cryptocoin other than Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 3181 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
I'm actually surprised with the results (I'm not new to crypto).
My expectations was far less on "bitcoin-only", but people here are usually new to crypto and don't know much about altcoins yet.

You can actually make money trading altcoins..at least if you have any sense not to mine all the new coins with...lousy names for example Tongue
The only way I see to currently get returns on bitcoins is via altcoin tradeing.

It doesn't matter what you belive will happen on BTC vs altcoin in the long run, we live now. Current returns on altcoins vs BTC are insane and there is no other way that can double one bitcoin faster. (regardless of BTC/USD)  The (unlikely) risk of a bitcoin-killer is here and the bitcoin protocoll would never able to adapt fast enough. It's 100% impossible that f.e we will ever see PoS in bitcoin since there are far to many people (miners) interrested in keeping it the way it is.

Ignoring altcoins is like igoring the most innovative part of crypto. People were able to see the potential of bitcoin, but now some of those are so in love with bitcoin that they can't see the potential in altcoins. Altcoins don't need bitcoiners to buy them, there are sill enough people left that haven't heard of crypto yet.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Im going for middlecoin also!
Activity: 4
I came here for info about mining scrypt coins.

My friends and I just started mining around 20 days ago when we got our first two mining rigs (5.6 MH/s).

Currently my main interests is middlepool thread in Alternate cryptocurrencies section Smiley

But since middlecoin is paying in BTC, i am also here for Bitcoin Wink

Activity: 1
You can actually make money trading altcoins..at least if you have any sense not to mine all the new coins with...lousy names for example Tongue
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
Bitcoin is now hard to mine for newbies and expensive to buy, so I'm starting with alt coins. Some forks like doge shows great results in short period of time as for miners or to small investors, but I don't think it'll be very profitable in long term.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
There's another easy way to find out how prolific altcoin users are here. Click on, "Show unread posts since last visit" and count the number of new posts that are in the tiny Altcoin sub forum. Lately, it looks like most of the active posters are in the alternate crypto section.
Activity: 28
This poll will never give you accurate results because of the following reasons:

- The title that seems to be asking a leading question.

- The fact that bitcoin only is just one option in the poll.

- The fact that this is in the newbie section. I understand this may be by design. You just want noobs to vote. But it doesn't give you the true picture of the community as a whole. Of course noobs are going to get into alts because a) they're obsessed with mining b) everyone is telling them the bitcoin boat has sailed.

Finally this:

Help me change the poll. What option would you add without adding every altcoin in existence (the poll would be too long and always incomplete).

The most obvious option is "I came here for bitcoin but later got interested in alts too". 98% will vote for that option.

You're right. That is by design. I didn't want people to feel pressured to vote for Bitcoin simply because they are at a Bitcoin forum. Nonbelievers here can be attacked pretty severely for their lack of Bitcoin faith. This place is worse than a Linux forum. Have you ever attempted to say you use Windows at a Linux forum. You may as well slit your own throat.

No, "I came here for bitcoin but later got interested in alts too" won't work. I don't want ANY old Bitcoin users to skew the vote. I already know how many old users are into alts. Their posts are in the alt coin subsection. I don't want to know what they did "later". I want new people with just a few posts to tell me why they registered. If you voted please remove it because you are skewing the results.

I didn't vote. The reason I said you should add that option is that Bitcoin is the most high profile of all crypto currencies. Everyone hears about bitcoin first and then about alt coins. It is natural if you think about it.

It's a false assumption that 98% of the current members of this forum are interested in altcoins.

I was talking about new members. They hear about mining bitcoins, come here, learn that bitcoin mining is no longer for common folk and then get into alt coins.

Ah, I understand. I still think they are represented in the answer "Bitcoin only". Remember, I want to know why they came here not what they are doing after they arrive.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
This poll will never give you accurate results because of the following reasons:

- The fact that this is in the newbie section. I understand this may be by design. You just want noobs to vote. But it doesn't give you the true picture of the community as a whole. Of course noobs are going to get into alts because a) they're obsessed with mining b) everyone is telling them the bitcoin boat has sailed.

Finally this:

Help me change the poll. What option would you add without adding every altcoin in existence (the poll would be too long and always incomplete).

The most obvious option is "I came here for bitcoin but later got interested in alts too". 98% will vote for that option.

You're right. That is by design. I didn't want people to feel pressured to vote for Bitcoin simply because they are at a Bitcoin forum. Nonbelievers here can be attacked pretty severely for their lack of Bitcoin faith. This place is worse than a Linux forum. Have you ever attempted to say you use Windows at a Linux forum. You may as well slit your own throat.

No, "I came here for bitcoin but later got interested in alts too" won't work. I don't want ANY old Bitcoin users to skew the vote. I already know how many old users are into alts. Their posts are in the alt coin subsection. I don't want to know what they did "later". I want new people with just a few posts to tell me why they registered. If you voted please remove it because you are skewing the results.

I didn't vote. The reason I said you should add that option is that Bitcoin is the most high profile of all crypto currencies. Everyone hears about bitcoin first and then about alt coins. It is natural if you think about it.

It's a false assumption that 98% of the current members of this forum are interested in altcoins.

I was talking about new members. They hear about mining bitcoins, come here, learn that bitcoin mining is no longer for common folk and then get into alt coins.

Finally this:

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

Finally this:

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Both Bitcoin and other evenly
I'm mining Vertcoin at the moment, but holding in Vertcoin and Bitcoin. Bitcoin is the original, with mainstream interest and value and Vertcoin seems to offer something fresh and innovative in the crypto space. My tuppence worth!

What the hell is Vertcoin? I can't keep up with all the new coins being made.

Hahah this is me everyday with all these crapcoins.

moonbat, please tell us what's so fresh and innovative about Vertcoin.

What makes them crap and Bitcoin not crap? Aren't they all basically the same with different infrastructures supporting them? Sure most of the alts are scrypt but that isn't a flaw. Litecoin actually corrects some of the built in problems with Bitcoin.
legendary
I'm here for alt coins, and that's about it.

BTC's are too hard/expensive to mine and I'm really just into it because it a fun hobby.  If I happen to make some extra dough, that's a bonus, but not required.  It reminds me a lot of standard currency exchanges that I used to trade with but much more volatile.

I've noticed that many new users are choosing coins to support for every reason except philosophical. Very few people seem to understand the greater sociological aspects of Bitcoin. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

When questioning why newbs choose a particular currency their answers seem to be something like it's 'unique' or 'it has potential'. When questioned further all they can usually come up with is 'it's not pre-mined' or 'was only pre-mined a little bit', and it has a 'good community/devs' behind it, blah blah blah. These things usually all turn out to be hyperbole or bs anyway.

True but I don't think many people walking the earth really understand the ramifications of taking control of money away from government. Even the ancient Roman Empire understood that money is used to control military might and military might controls the empire. If we take the control of money away from governments they can no longer control us. Perhaps I'm the only one that believes that as the reason to use Bitcoin.

I suppose it's possible to accomplish that using different coins (maybe one per country) but it would probably be easier using one. Bitcoin is gaining recognition and has a head start. That might change and the real world coin springs up later. It could also be true that the great unwashed masses with inferior mental cognizance need to be controlled and want nothing to do with taking funds away from government.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

BTC's are too hard/expensive to mine and I'm really just into it because it a fun hobby.  If I happen to make some extra dough, that's a bonus, but not required.  It reminds me a lot of standard currency exchanges that I used to trade with but much more volatile.

I've noticed that many new users are choosing coins to support for every reason except philosophical. Very few people seem to understand the greater sociological aspects of Bitcoin. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

When questioning why newbs choose a particular currency their answers seem to be something like it's 'unique' or 'it has potential'. When questioned further all they can usually come up with is 'it's not pre-mined' or 'was only pre-mined a little bit', and it has a 'good community/devs' behind it, blah blah blah. These things usually all turn out to be hyperbole or bs anyway.
legendary

BTC's are too hard/expensive to mine and I'm really just into it because it a fun hobby.  If I happen to make some extra dough, that's a bonus, but not required.  It reminds me a lot of standard currency exchanges that I used to trade with but much more volatile.

Activity: 16

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
I'm mining Vertcoin at the moment, but holding in Vertcoin and Bitcoin. Bitcoin is the original, with mainstream interest and value and Vertcoin seems to offer something fresh and innovative in the crypto space. My tuppence worth!

Hahah this is me everyday with all these crapcoins.

moonbat, please tell us what's so fresh and innovative about Vertcoin.

Activity: 102
Merit: 10
The two above posters want something unique and new. I'm uncleared why that is valuable.
Pages:
Jump to: