Pages:
Author

Topic: Wait...Does the March 18th finCen legislation make it illegal to trade bitcoins? - page 3. (Read 3875 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
And this is why scrypt coins are way safer than SHA256 coins, since the govt goons could control dedicated Asic hashers, but never GPUs.

yeah...um...whatever...
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
And this is why scrypt coins are way safer than SHA256 coins, since the govt goons could control dedicated Asic hashers, but never GPUs.
Please don't talk when you don't know shit about what you're saying
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Hey read again. If you mine and sell for goods (say gold) you are fine. You just cannot mine and sell into USD directly. You could also mine and convert into LTC, for example. Then sell the LTC or the gold.

No, you cannot. If you convert BTC to LTC to USD in the US, then you are considered a 'money exchanger'. From now on, only centralized companies are allowed to handle Bitcoin exchanges. Such a company does not exist in the US. Or perhaps only CoinLab?

No, he's right. BTC to LTC is not virtual to real, but virtual to virtual. In fact, I think the BTC-to-gold is more risky, since gold could be considered a 'real currency or equivalent' since it's a commodity with highly liquid markets to/from USD. BTC-to-USD is clearly in violation here, though.
Gold is not money, so it is not currency
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Hey read again. If you mine and sell for goods (say gold) you are fine. You just cannot mine and sell into USD directly. You could also mine and convert into LTC, for example. Then sell the LTC or the gold.

No, you cannot. If you convert BTC to LTC to USD in the US, then you are considered a 'money exchanger'. From now on, only centralized companies are allowed to handle Bitcoin exchanges. Such a company does not exist in the US. Or perhaps only CoinLab?

No, he's right. BTC to LTC is not virtual to real, but virtual to virtual. In fact, I think the BTC-to-gold is more risky, since gold could be considered a 'real currency or equivalent' since it's a commodity with highly liquid markets to/from USD. BTC-to-USD is clearly in violation here, though.

but upon selling the ltc it becomes virtual to real. yeah if you just hold the ltc forever your fine but what good is that?

Yeah, you'd need to spend the LTC with a merchant who took it. If you exchange it, as a US citizen (even on a foreign-hosted exchange), I think you are in trouble here.
Activity: 91
Merit: 15
still. even if it only applies to miners in the united states, isn't that a big deal? Am I the only one that thinks so? I almost fell out of my seat when I read that.

You're not the only one who thinks this is a big deal. Something like this never occurred to me. Now I have homework to do.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
yung lean

but upon selling the ltc it becomes virtual to real. yeah if you just hold the ltc forever your fine but what good is that?
Activity: 28

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Satoshi created bitcoin

Miners are just paid for their work, they do not create bitcoins  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

No, you cannot. If you convert BTC to LTC in the US, then you are considered a 'money exchanger'. From now on, only centralized companies are allowed to handle Bitcoin exchanges. Such a company does not exist in the US. Or perhaps only CoinLab?

The exchanges converting BTC to whatever, are not in the US.
Activity: 160
Merit: 100
It doesn't make it illegal, but you have to comply with the regulations.

Correct, but no individual is allowed to exchange Bitcoin in the US anymore. You have to be a registered Money Service Business. Currently there are none?

yung lean

Again, litecoin counts under this legislation just as much as bitcoin
Activity: 33
Activity: 33
It doesn't make it illegal, but you have to comply with the regulations.
still. even if it only applies to miners in the united states, isn't that a big deal? Am I the only one that thinks so? I almost fell out of my seat when I read that.

It's a very big deal. It's basically the end of Bitcoin-to-USD-and-back. You will need an official -centralized- company to handle your Bitcoins from now on. My guess is that no company in the US will be able to do the paperwork for Bitcoin. So that's that: the end of Bitcoin in the US.
legendary

It doesn't apply only to bitcoins. It's any currency generated by using computer power

You do not understand. Anyone who buys an asic buys it to create coins right? So they could come to your home and ask, what did you do with your coins? Sell them? Uh oh.

But if you buy a GPU it could just be for gaming. So GPU is not controllable.
The quote indeed applies to the US only.

Simply put: anyone in the US who mines Bitcoin and sells them for fiat currency is a 'money transmitter'.
Anyone who accepts Bitcoin and sells them for fiat currency is both a money transmitter and a money exchanger.

This law is clearly put in place for restricting Bitcoin. This is a hurdle for Bitcoin becoming mainstream, but also for Ripple or any other crypto-currency.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
'merican are just ducks. As soon as you come in to land some government worker picks you off with their shotgun! LOL
yung lean

It doesn't apply only to bitcoins. It's any currency generated by using computer power
Pages:
Jump to: