Pages:
Author

Topic: Wallet just got emptied - page 3. (Read 4656 times)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10
May 10, 2012, 11:20:18 PM
I think I'll put my next wallet on a flash drive and just plug it in for transfers.  I am doing a pretty serious search now for any kind of spyware.  Yeah, I am worried about some kind of keylogger or something so I am running several malware searches.
Activity: 374
Merit: 250
Tune in to Neocash Radio
May 10, 2012, 11:17:57 PM
notme beat me to it.  I wrote:

You'll need to do more than re install the client.  Your system must have been compromised somehow.  If you install another client, encrypt your wallet and only use addresses after encrypting.  

The fact is that there is a more serious issue.  Somehow a malicious program was run.  If you have a malicious program on the computer than you can't rule out that you have a keylogger which would compromise the encryption.  
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
May 10, 2012, 11:16:06 PM
Common antivirus may not yet detect bitcoin related malware.  If you are infected, redownloading bitcoin may not be enough.  If the malware also has a keylogger, encryption won't help either.  I would make a wallet on an airgapped Linux system if you want to store significant coinage.  Personally, I would never trust a windows box with anything more than a few bitcents.
May 10, 2012, 11:14:02 PM
No to both.  I recently reloaded my guiminer since the last amd update seems to have killed my hashrate.  One of my cards went from about 275 m/hash to 30 and the other went from 275 to about 230.  I've been trying to get that figured out slowly for a week or so but I haven't visited anywhere new.  Just went by my pool, Bitclockers, to check on what I had there, and thought I would update my wallet with the new blocks.  I just ran my SuperAntiSpyware and it found a couple of things and a bunch of tracking cookies.  The two serious ones it found might have been my problem but I don't know for sure.  I am thinking the safest thing to do is to delete all my bitcoin stuff and start over though first I would like to understand exactly how this was done.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
May 10, 2012, 10:57:13 PM
Install any bitcoin related software lately?

Visit a bitcoin related website you haven't been to before, with javasccript turned on in your browser?
May 10, 2012, 10:54:02 PM
No, I didn't have it encrypted.  I have never had any problems before and never bothered.  You can bet I will next time.  No, I don't use any other alternative currencies.  Yes, I can see the transaction out and the address though I don't see what good that will do me.  How often is this happening?  I think I am going to delete everything and start over.  I've got a couple of Bit Force Singles coming and I don't want this to happen again.  As it is 10 was about a month and a half of mining so that sucks but its not a real major hit.  I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again.  So if I delete everything and start over and next time I will encrypt my wallet what else should I do to make sure this doesn't happen?  I would like to understand how it happened this time.
Activity: 374
Merit: 250
Tune in to Neocash Radio
May 10, 2012, 10:46:56 PM
Do you see all the transactions in and there is a transaction out?

Shot in the dark:  Do you use any other "virtual currency?" 
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
May 10, 2012, 10:45:01 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear.

What OS? Was your wallet encrypted? Did you ever back it up anywhere? Could a backup have leaked?
May 10, 2012, 10:38:31 PM
I opened up my wallet to update it and catch up.  When I went to check to see if it was done all my bitcoins had been sent out.  It was only 10 but it was all I had.  I've got pretty good anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewalls on my computer.  I can see the address but I don't figure that is any help at all.  Should I delete everything and redownload and start from scratch or what? Nobody ever gets on my computer but me so it didn't happen from here but somehow through the Internet.  Just how secure are the wallets and how often is this happening?  I was under the impression that they were pretty secure against this kind of thing.  Anyway, it seems like it will be hard to trust the one I have again.  That is why I am thinking of deleting everything and starting over with new downloads.  What does anyone think about that?  Any suggestions?
Pages:
Jump to: