Pages:
Author

Topic: Wallet online for Bitcoin - page 4. (Read 707 times)

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
April 21, 2018, 07:15:18 AM
I want to buy TREZOR but this is security and not a wallet, right? I want to buy for BTC. In this case, I need a portlet to exchange ETH for BTC. Ledger I can buy for BTC?
It's a wallet. Addresses are generated and transactions are signed on Trezor. The only thing that gets transferred out should be your signed transactions. The reason why it has to be connected to another device that is connected to the internet is because Trezor has to get the information on the UTXO of your addresses using the internet.

Yes. You can purchase Ledger using BTC. I would be wary with Ledger given their reluctance to admit that the security vulnerability was potentially quite serious.
Activity: 126
Merit: 50
Ask me for Pools, Nodes and Explorers.
April 21, 2018, 05:30:37 AM
I want to buy TREZOR but this is security and not a wallet, right? I want to buy for BTC. In this case, I need a portlet to exchange ETH for BTC. Ledger I can buy for BTC?

Trezor is just a secure wallet, as you need the trezor physically to make transactions out of it (assuming that you store the backup seed in a safe place so no one cam see it). I recommend ledger however over Trezor, because it supports alot more cryptos while trezor only supports BTC as far as i know.

If you have the money, then a hardware wallet is a worthy investment to make sure that your funds won't get stolen by a 3rd party.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
April 21, 2018, 03:31:30 AM
What do you recommend in this situation?

This basically depends on the amount of coins you want to store and the grade of security you want to reach.

The best option would be to use a hardware wallet (for regular spending) or a paper wallet (if you are holding for years, without accessing them).
If you don't want to spend money (or if the amount you hold is not worth it to get a hardware wallet), i would suggest to use a desktop wallet (e.g. electrum with a good password).
I personally would not use a online wallet. Only if you really need to access it from different locations without bringing 'devices' with yourself.
Activity: 686
Merit: 282
April 21, 2018, 03:24:11 AM
I want to bring my ETH to BTC.

In that case if you do not want to invest anything, then generating and bitcoin paper wallet with This tool is the recommended way to go. However you will need to have an airgapped computer while generating it for your own security. It means being completely offline, booting your computer of a GNU/Linux Live CD/DVD. The recommended method would also be to download this while on a Live CD/DVD as windows systems have loads of malware which might infect the zip if such malware is on your computer.

If you have alot of crypto, and can spend around 100$ for your security, then go for the Ledger Nano S. It is easy to use and supports many cryptos.

The paper wallet method is way easier to fail than the hardware wallet method.

I do not recommend using hot wallets for storage of coins, and never would advise for online wallet as you don't have the full control over your coins.

If neither of these options are good for you, then storing small amounts on Electrum should be alright, and bigger amounts on Bitcoin Core

And lastly, storing coins on a windows OS or OSx is generally bad idea because of all the possible malware that might try to steal your coins.
April 21, 2018, 03:15:53 AM

In that case if you do not want to invest anything, then generating and bitcoin paper wallet with This tool is the recommended way to go. However you will need to have an airgapped computer while generating it for your own security. It means being completely offline, booting your computer of a GNU/Linux Live CD/DVD. The recommended method would also be to download this while on a Live CD/DVD as windows systems have loads of malware which might infect the zip if such malware is on your computer.

If you have alot of crypto, and can spend around 100$ for your security, then go for the Ledger Nano S. It is easy to use and supports many cryptos.

The paper wallet method is way easier to fail than the hardware wallet method.

I do not recommend using hot wallets for storage of coins, and never would advise for online wallet as you don't have the full control over your coins.

If neither of these options are good for you, then storing small amounts on Electrum should be alright, and bigger amounts on Bitcoin Core

And lastly, storing coins on a windows OS or OSx is generally bad idea because of all the possible malware that might try to steal your coins.
April 21, 2018, 03:06:54 AM
Metamask is not an "Online wallet" as it is open source, and you are personally holding the private keys instead of some centralized party. It is generally as safe as your OS is (as for any other wallet). The private keys never get exposed to MEW, as the transactions are signed and broadcasted by Metamask.

If you are looking to store huge amounts of crypto, something like Ledger Nano S is the recommended method of storing value, as hardware wallets are on whole another level of security compared to software wallets.

Which crypto do you need the wallet software for?

Which wallet to choose online? What is the safest?

Online wallets shouldn't be regarded as safe. Neither should they be used for 'larger' amounts.

But if you insist on using an online wallet, coinbase and blockchain.info seem to be the most commonly used.
Blockchain.info claims that they never gain access to your private keys. The wallet file is being encrypted locally and uploaded to the blockchain.info server.

But keep in mind that the whole security consists of 1) the security of your password and 2) the security of the server.
What do you recommend in this situation?
April 21, 2018, 03:04:07 AM
Metamask is not an "Online wallet" as it is open source, and you are personally holding the private keys instead of some centralized party. It is generally as safe as your OS is (as for any other wallet). The private keys never get exposed to MEW, as the transactions are signed and broadcasted by Metamask.

If you are looking to store huge amounts of crypto, something like Ledger Nano S is the recommended method of storing value, as hardware wallets are on whole another level of security compared to software wallets.

Which crypto do you need the wallet software for?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
April 21, 2018, 03:00:49 AM
Which wallet to choose online? What is the safest?

Online wallets shouldn't be regarded as safe. Neither should they be used for 'larger' amounts.

But if you insist on using an online wallet, coinbase and blockchain.info seem to be the most commonly used.
Blockchain.info claims that they never gain access to your private keys. The wallet file is being encrypted locally and uploaded to the blockchain.info server.

But keep in mind that the whole security consists of 1) the security of your password and 2) the security of the server.
April 21, 2018, 02:54:05 AM
So far, I keep everything in ETH. The BTC exchange time is coming. Which wallet to choose online? What is the safest? Please help me:).

I now use www.myetherwallet.com + MetaMask.
Pages:
Jump to: