Pages:
Author

Topic: walletgeneratordotnet scam Paper wallet generation scam - page 2. (Read 338 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
Never ever use these 3rd party services that claim to generate "paper wallets". Paper wallet is nothing but a QR code printed on a piece of paper which has your private key. You can print or hand write your private key on a piece of paper yourself and it will instantly become a paper wallet. Or don't make it this complicated just write down your seed words. That's it.

To generate your seed words/priv keys, you should use a trusted wallet app like electrum/bitcoin core. I personally use electrum and never had a problem.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
Is this scam still running Shocked ----> Vulnerability discovered on bitcoinpaperwallet[.]com - DO NOT USE IT
paperwallet has a long history of being a bad wallet for the privacy and security of users, even open-source ones may contain backdoors, so it is a good option for developers only and only use those that have been thoroughly reviewed by many developers.
I created the topic above in 2020 and unfortunately this scam site is still working.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
You can blame Google, they show these sites as a first search result for words like wallet generator, generate bitcoin address, paper wallet, and they may also tell the user, generate the key offline to ensure that your coins are not stolen.
Google doesn't care, nor do they carry out any research whether certain sites are scams or not. It's also possible to purchase ad space and advertise scams in Google ads to other users. Remember when ChipMixer was still alive and you couldn't find the official website on Google? At the same time, there were loads of phishing sites that appeared on top of the search results. It's the same with other mixers, like Sinbad. The phishing versions aren't the first result, but they still appear close to the top.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Does it mean that the scammers have access to the generated wallet that you generate in the website?
From what I've seen, the code is altered to create known private keys, even when used offline. Read my crazy idea (which I never attempted).

I don't get why people use obscure sites to create their wallets
It could have been a trusted site back in the days, until it got sold.
Activity: 1428
Merit: 308
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
I'm a bit confused how the scam works so correct me if I'm wrong about what I think it is. Does it mean that the scammers have access to the generated wallet that you generate in the website? I don't lurk too much here so I am not familiar with these kind of scam, I mostly see fake airdrops, social engineering and good old-fashioned pyramid schemes.

I don't get why people use obscure sites to create their wallets, store their bitcoins, to trade and to even gamble, I want to know why? To be different? There's probably more reasonable answer that I can't think of.
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
It was known to be a good site before, but now it is vulnerable that you will lose your coins if you use the site. I am wondering that someone will not make good research before using those generators. It is not good to even use JavaScript again to generate paper wallet.

To generate a paper wallet, use HD wallet.

How can a scam site like this be taken down?
You can blame Google, they show these sites as a first search result for words like wallet generator, generate bitcoin address, paper wallet, and they may also tell the user, generate the key offline to ensure that your coins are not stolen.
even open-source wallets can be completely flawed if the entropy that generates the private key or seed is not completely random or is written in pseudo-random.

I don't want to say that there are still people who trust Blockchain.com, atomic wallet and exodus wallet and those are not newbies.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Complain to their webhost (after which they'll move) or domain name registrar. It might work.

It's really bad that 2 scamsites have been making victims for many years. Related reading: here.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
I saw this not long ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/15artmb/redditors_hacked_bitcoin_is_a_lesson_on_the/
https://www.coingabbar.com/en/crypto-shorts-news/redditors-bitcoin-hack-exposes-paper-wallet-perils
https://cointelegraph.com/news/redditor-gets-lesson-after-bitcoin-paper-wallet-hacked

The links are referring to the same Redditor

My Bitcoin was taken. How?" A Reddit user thought they were following best practices until two days ago when their Bitcoin wallet was completely cleaned out.

He said he used a good way to generate a paper wallet. HD wallet was created a very long time why are people still using the unsafe way to generate paper wallet.

There are many HD wallets available that can be used. Example is Electrum.

I checked the site on this forum, it has been known for scam vulnerabily since 2018.

TryNinja, please edit this your 2017 post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20403112

Re: walletgenerator.net, I find no way to verify the download with PGP
Disclosure: Key generation vulnerability found on WalletGenerator.net

It was known to be a good site before, but now it is vulnerable that you will lose your coins if you use the site. I am wondering that someone will not make good research before using those generators. It is not good to even use JavaScript again to generate paper wallet.

To generate a paper wallet, use HD wallet.

Pages:
Jump to: