Pages:
Author

Topic: [Warning]: AI voice replicating scams - page 2. (Read 196 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
May 02, 2023, 12:42:03 AM
Yes, we will have to be careful with this. The scams in most cases are based on taking advantage of a mistake and/or large numbers: they are tried with many people and statistically in the end some of them fall. If we add to this this technological advance I think it can give a boost to scammers by the appearance of reality until a time comes when the general population is aware of this and is alert.

And the bad thing is that this is only one of the aspects in which AI can help scammers, I guess there will be more. But I also wonder if AI could not help us to defend ourselves from this kind of scams, detecting them or in some other way.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 538
May 01, 2023, 11:54:28 PM
Ok, it seems that criminals has found it's way to scam people using the latest technology that we have right now, which is AI. This is not new modus though, but this time they have take advantage of AI plus human emotions to be able to pull this one of:

You get a call. There's a panicked voice on the line. It's your grandson. He says he's in deep trouble — he wrecked the car and landed in jail. But you can help by sending money. You take a deep breath and think. You've heard about grandparent scams. But darn, it sounds just like him. How could it be a scam? Voice cloning, that's how.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2023/03/scammers-use-ai-enhance-their-family-emergency-schemes

So scammers thru AI has found a way to clone and mimic our love ones voice. And then we received this calls, they they are any form in a emergencies and need money or even bitcoin at some point. And so you panic and send them the money right away without hesitation. And after that initial shock, you realized that you have been scammed already.

AI can replicate voices in high-tech phone call scams, FTC warns

So everyone just be careful out there, as AI is evolving and so is the criminals with elaborate modus to get money or crypto from us.
Pages:
Jump to: