Pages:
Author

Topic: WARNING when using mobile device wallets (Android, iOS) - page 4. (Read 693 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 772
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
Mobile wallets are not exactly the most secure wallets in the world, but in case you really have to use them, please keep in mind one very important piece of information.

DO NOT use third-party keyboards while you are using the wallet app!

Somebody has already been robbed because of this. You must only use the stock Android or Apple keyboard, and no others. Better if you uninstall all 3rd party keyboards completely. They collect all data you type on the keyboard at all times, which is a requirement for them to function properly, and there is no telling who is at the other end of the server!
What about Samsung keyboard? Samsung smartphones come with it. Windows Phones came with Microsoft's Word Flow keyboard app and Swiftkey belongs to MS too. While I absolutely agree with the advice that you give here, I still don't think that that would be an issue for that person.

If one doesn't download malicious apps, doesn't visit unknown websites, doesn't connect to public wi-fi, doesn't root smartphone, doesn't install custom ROMs without research and doesn't give unlocked smartphone to friends or strangers, then I think you won't get any problem, especially if you don't own a lot of bitcoins.

And ultimately, only use mobile (and desktop) wallets on personal devices as hot wallets. Imagine storing your life savings on a device that could easily be compromised!

For 99% of people: Desktop wallets < Mobile wallets < Hardware wallets
Regular mobile and desktop wallets? Sure, definitely but airgapped computer is one of the most secure way to store bitcoins.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
And ultimately, only use mobile (and desktop) wallets on personal devices as hot wallets. Imagine storing your life savings on a device that could easily be compromised!

For 99% of people: Desktop wallets < Mobile wallets < Hardware wallets
Activity: 336
Merit: 365
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>PID
Thanks  for the security update. When using a mobile wallet connected to the internet, it's essential to know about some do's and don'ts to keep your funds safe. The internet has many harmful software like bugs or phishing attempts that can access your personal data without permission or even your consent. So we all have to be cautious with third-party software and carefully review the permissions they require before installing them.
For me, I see no reason why I would want to change my current keyboard and install another. Using the built-in keyboard is safer and avoids potential risks or issues that may affect your device's functionality. So please let's all stay safe and away from malwares.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
I am using Android keyboard. I use to report some posts with the same sentence like 'not bitcoin discussion related, move to trading discussion. Did you know that only what I just need to put down is 'not bitcoin, and all other words will be suggested and I just need to click on them one by one to make the complete sentence. Third party key boards are the worst, but those ones that come on the phones should not be trusted. I have heard something like this before used to compromised someone's wallet too. One of the best way to verify seed phrase is virtual keyboard.

Ideally, you should only use open source wallet apps which use their own virtual keyboard for entering seed phrases, where you can verify exactly what the keyboard is doing. Electrum is one such example. Even using the stock Android or Apple keyboard isn't completely safe.
A wallet which generate seed phrase and not suggest virtual keyboard but requires you to click on the seed phrase to know if you backup the seed phrase correctly are also good. What can not make such wallet good is if they are close source and not reputed.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
Ideally, you should only use open source wallet apps which use their own virtual keyboard for entering seed phrases, where you can verify exactly what the keyboard is doing. Electrum is one such example. Even using the stock Android or Apple keyboard isn't completely safe. These stock apps are usually not open source and are so deeply embedded in the phone's firmware that it is near impossible to verify if anything suspicious is happening in the background. And neither Google nor Apple exactly have a great reputation when it comes to privacy, data harvesting, and spying on users/collecting data they promised they wouldn't.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Mobile wallets are not exactly the most secure wallets in the world, but in case you really have to use them, please keep in mind one very important piece of information.

DO NOT use third-party keyboards while you are using the wallet app!

Somebody has already been robbed because of this. You must only use the stock Android or Apple keyboard, and no others. Better if you uninstall all 3rd party keyboards completely. They collect all data you type on the keyboard at all times, which is a requirement for them to function properly, and there is no telling who is at the other end of the server!
Pages:
Jump to: