Pages:
Author

Topic: Was mining always this difficult to get into? - page 2. (Read 906 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 560
What exactly is difficult about buying a miner and plugging it in? Thats all it takes to get into mining.

Being too broke to get into mining is a personal problem, not a problem with the mining ecosystem.

"It takes money to make money." <---this has been true for as long as money has existed.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
Obviously it wasn't difficult to "get into mining" at the outset. Originally folks were mining with CPU's. While I joined "late" (i.e. middle of 2013), CPU's weren't viable at that time. it's not hard to find the anecdote of someone buying a pizza for several Bitcoins (18 as I recall?).

I wonder whatever happened to those Bitcoins?
Activity: 266
Merit: 13
It just seems like with the level of difficulty these days the older machines won’t cut it anymore , and the newer machines are so expensive that it makes it hard for a guy with not much start up capital to get into it. I started with an S7. My electricity cost is .11kw/h. So it makes about $200/month at current prices but costs about $100 per month in electricity from what I calculated. Figuring 1300 Watts that’s 31.2 kw/h per month. I was recently able to pick up a 1 board and a 2 board s9. A little more hashing with less electricity consumption should help. Ill keep at it. Hopefully I can add more hashing power fast enough to keep up with the speed of rising difficulty.
Pages:
Jump to: