Pages:
Author

Topic: We should rename "miner" as "auditor". - page 2. (Read 2581 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
God creats math and math creats bitcoin.
July 30, 2011, 02:44:31 AM
I prefer mining. It sounds more real. Auditing sounds like a financial buzz word.

mining itself only "sounds" real, but most people will then ask what exactly are you mining, and you inevitably will speak with some geeky words which people just cannot understand.

But if you tell people that we are auditing the transactions, people will think that they already get it. In fact, the miners ARE AUDITING the transaction and get paid for the contribution.

We can still use the metaphor of mining in our daily life, just as the notebook/laptop/, or cell phone/mobile phone. But we should promote the auditor/auditing conception in the public.

Does the core developing team has any agreements or disagreements?

Activity: 350
Merit: 251
July 30, 2011, 12:34:41 AM
may attract Scientologists.

FFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK

but really, this is a more accurate name for what it does.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
July 30, 2011, 12:30:12 AM
If we promote it as "auditing" instead of "mining", that should drive the difficulty down by making it sound boring! But on the negative side, it may attract Scientologists.  Cool
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
July 30, 2011, 12:26:28 AM
I prefer mining. It sounds more real. Auditing sounds like a financial buzz word.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 30, 2011, 12:22:26 AM
Maybe "miner" is bad name for the promotion of the bitcoin

People are questioning that what are you mining for? a string of numbers? And you get money from the thin air?

The "miners" are bookkeeping and verifying the bitcoin transactions. and the coins generated is the reward for their work. "Auditing" is kind of contribution that will make people believe that the miners are doing useful job. By metaphor in "mining", people will get confused.

I guess Satoshi use "mining" is to promote the bitcoin conception among the early adopters to get involved, but now we need get people trust that the coins spread to the miners are really worth it.

finally you post a reasonable suggestion.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
God creats math and math creats bitcoin.
July 29, 2011, 11:42:21 PM
Maybe "miner" is bad name for the promotion of the bitcoin

People are questioning that what are you mining for? a string of numbers? And you get money from the thin air?

The "miners" are bookkeeping and verifying the bitcoin transactions. and the coins generated is the reward for their work. "Auditing" is kind of contribution that will make people believe that the miners are doing useful job. By metaphor in "mining", people will get confused.

I guess Satoshi use "mining" is to promote the bitcoin conception among the early adopters to get involved, but now we need get people trust that the coins spread to the miners are really worth it.
Pages:
Jump to: