Pages:
Author

Topic: Weaving Is A Better Metaphor for Bitcoin, Instead of Mining - page 2. (Read 1688 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
I guess string theory is kinda mixed in there somewhere  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
It might, but there is no way a name change for mining will be widely accepted.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
When describing what the network of computers calculating the blocks does, the metaphor of weaving is much better than that of mining:
  • done together (a network)
  • to strengthen the fabric (the transactions)
  • intertwining threads (cryptographic functions)
  • with emerging patterns (the payment or other applications)
  • upon new fabrics (alt-coins, with their separate blockchains)

Also, a nice bonus, the first computers were the automated looms that were programmed with punch cards, and gave rise to the Luddite movement opposing them, just as the incumbents oppose Bitcoin, and its automation of the opaque financial system.

Check out more details and nuances in the full article I wrote for Bitcoin Magazine:
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/12311/weaving-better-metaphor-bitcoin-instead-mining/

What do you think?

It's a well thought out idea, deserving of at least one reply.   Smiley
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
When describing what the network of computers calculating the blocks does, the metaphor of weaving is much better than that of mining:
  • done together (a network)
  • to strengthen the fabric (the transactions)
  • intertwining threads (cryptographic functions)
  • with emerging patterns (the payment or other applications)
  • upon new fabrics (alt-coins, with their separate blockchains)

Also, a nice bonus, the first computers were the automated looms that were programmed with punch cards, and gave rise to the Luddite movement opposing them, just as the incumbents oppose Bitcoin, and its automation of the opaque financial system.

Check out more details and nuances in the full article I wrote for Bitcoin Magazine:
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/12311/weaving-better-metaphor-bitcoin-instead-mining/

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: