Pages:
Author

Topic: What about Gibraltar? - page 2. (Read 304 times)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0
October 11, 2019, 04:24:28 PM
Once again the Irish border is back in the limelight, and it seems to be a major topic that the treasonous remoaners are using to try to force the UK to stay in the imploding EU. They keep saying that the Irish border is the only land border between the UK and the EU, but once again they are ignoring Gibraltar.  One wonders if there is a secret plan to give Gibraltar to Spain.
I think that Britain made the right decision to leave the European Union. Since the policy of migrants is now quite dangerous for the locals.
Activity: 806
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
October 11, 2019, 03:02:42 PM
One wonders if there is a secret plan to give Gibraltar to Spain.

Gibraltar is too important for the UK to just give back to Spain like it did with Hong Kong.

Spain is not as powerful and influential as China so Gibraltar stays with the UK. I don't think EU will do something different.

However, it is strange, that 3+ years after the referendum, you still have no exit plan.
I have the feeling, your government doesn't want to leave, you are trapped in EU and you just delay it.

There are still many influential leaders and politicians in the UK that wanted to stay with the EU. Before there were even plans of a re-vote and that the second one won't be including the whole populace.   
Activity: 1764
Merit: 584
October 11, 2019, 02:44:58 PM
One wonders if there is a secret plan to give Gibraltar to Spain.

Gibraltar is too important for the UK to just give back to Spain like it did with Hong Kong.

Why can't Ireland trade with you, when UK leaves the European Union?
There is no obstacle to doing so, but the two countries (Ireland & UK) have to pay higher customs duties.

Isn't this one of the things they are scaring the people with, that goods coming into the UK would become more expensive? That businesses would leave? How free are EU countries to make bilateral agreements with countries outside the bloc or have they lost that power to?
Activity: 840
Merit: 128
October 10, 2019, 07:50:30 AM
Why can't Ireland trade with you, when UK leaves the European Union?
There is no obstacle to doing so, but the two countries (Ireland & UK) have to pay higher customs duties.
The Irish adopted the Euro as a medium of exchange and I believe it is almost impossible to leave the EU and return to their old currency.
You still have the British Pound, it is a lot easier.
However, it is strange, that 3+ years after the referendum, you still have no exit plan.
I have the feeling, your government doesn't want to leave, you are trapped in EU and you just delay it.

I don't believe there will be a deal. Deals include a whole load of political stuff, and we voted to get rid of that. I think there will be a number of trade agrements, and if the EU doesn't change its attitude, then most of them will go elsewhere. The UK dropped its food standards when it entered the EU, and hopefully we will be able to regain those. Much of the quality food at the moment is still produced to the old standards, and if this continues, then the EU farmers and producers will be the losers.

With regards to Southern Ireland, there is an enormous trade with the UK, and they will have a severe economic downturn when we leave the EU if they are not allowed to continue to trade with us. The EU hasn't done them any favours, and in my opinion, their best option would be to leave the EU, and to become a self-governing country again. There is a wealth of talent and resources on the island, and they are quite capable of earning their keep in a competitive world.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
October 10, 2019, 03:37:54 AM
I don't believe there will be a deal. Deals include a whole load of political stuff, and we voted to get rid of that. I think there will be a number of trade agrements, and if the EU doesn't change its attitude, then most of them will go elsewhere. The UK dropped its food standards when it entered the EU, and hopefully we will be able to regain those. Much of the quality food at the moment is still produced to the old standards, and if this continues, then the EU farmers and producers will be the losers.

With regards to Southern Ireland, there is an enormous trade with the UK, and they will have a severe economic downturn when we leave the EU if they are not allowed to continue to trade with us. The EU hasn't done them any favours, and in my opinion, their best option would be to leave the EU, and to become a self-governing country again. There is a wealth of talent and resources on the island, and they are quite capable of earning their keep in a competitive world.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
October 09, 2019, 04:42:20 PM
UK has borders with Cyprus as well. Akrotiri and Dhekelia is a British Overseas Territory.
According Wikipedia, there live about 15700 people.
Cyprus is a EU country.

Gibraltar is part of the UK, and it has a land border with Spain, which is part of the EU. It will obviously need a customs agreement with the EU once we are free of their shackles.

Interesting to see. Though I doubt there's going to be a HARD (or whatever term they're using now) border between the two nations. There's going to most likely be some sort of agreement made for areas that truly do need it, arrangements made to make it easier for people who do business in the overlapping areas to not have too large of issues.

Though then again all of this WILL ONLY HAPPEN if the Eu and the UK can't come to a deal in terms of all of this. At the moment we're just speculating.
Activity: 980
Merit: 62
October 09, 2019, 12:51:56 PM
Gibraltar is part of the UK, and it has a land border with Spain, which is part of the EU. It will obviously need a customs agreement with the EU once we are free of their shackles.

I didn't know that it is a UK territory. I am sorry.
I don't think that there will be any special agreement for Gibraltar. Every rule which be settled for UK will be effective for Gibraltar as well.
Activity: 840
Merit: 128
October 09, 2019, 07:25:11 AM
UK has borders with Cyprus as well. Akrotiri and Dhekelia is a British Overseas Territory.
According Wikipedia, there live about 15700 people.
Cyprus is a EU country.

legendary
October 08, 2019, 12:59:26 PM
legendary
October 08, 2019, 12:30:03 PM
Once again the Irish border is back in the limelight, and it seems to be a major topic that the treasonous remoaners are using to try to force the UK to stay in the imploding EU. They keep saying that the Irish border is the only land border between the UK and the EU, but once again they are ignoring Gibraltar.  One wonders if there is a secret plan to give Gibraltar to Spain.
Pages:
Jump to: