Pages:
Author

Topic: What about our old miners? - page 2. (Read 3449 times)

Activity: 363
Merit: 100
SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN
May 11, 2015, 01:11:45 PM
Donate them to bitcoin museum.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
May 09, 2015, 01:31:43 AM
I use them to heat in the winter upstairs and keep the basement dry in the summer (I also keep an Avalon down there because my wood stove rarely allows the furnace to run). I use a block erupter cube in place of a space heater in my breezeway at times. It's like cutting the electrical bill because you get something back in return.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
May 08, 2015, 02:03:48 PM
Is there some way to use old ASIC miners to do stuff like password cracking or anything useful?
Did you just ask the same question that was in the original post, was already answered for this thread, and has pointers to previous threads that also covered this?  Rhetorical question - the answer is "yes".  Read up Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
May 08, 2015, 01:46:52 PM
depends.) if you are talking about FPGA or GPU, for sure you can play with it and learn something..but ASIC is designed "only" to do one single "task"..
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
May 08, 2015, 01:26:40 PM
Is there some way to use old ASIC miners to do stuff like password cracking or anything useful?
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
May 08, 2015, 02:05:21 AM
Older mining equipment can still be used assuming you don't pay for electricity..

Sadly, most people do not have access to said free electricity and thus old mining equipment is obsolete in terms of BTC gained.
That being said if you are one of the lucky ones to have free hydro i would suggest starting threads and seeing if you can get some GH/s.

You may never get the shipping cost back.. But at the very least you'll be making the network more secure with your ancient mining gears.

if your electricity is high, you can send your old miners to some hosting facility where it is cheap and mine from there

but i think those old miners can be recycled in some way? maybe not the chip but the board for sure, and the case too

they could re-use those, to down the price of the new asic generation
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
May 08, 2015, 12:08:26 AM
I use my negative-profitable Antminer S1 for heating my house in the winter now! It almost makes enough to pay for its electricity bill and make heating free!!! That is honestly the only use for them nowadays. I think it would be cool if you could program them to secure your server network system or something but not sure if its possible.
You use it for heating your house??? what a sad fate Sad
If you ever have any idea to sell it? maybe someone would buy it, and you can get your last profit for your negative-profitable.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Designer - Developer
May 07, 2015, 10:44:37 PM
Older mining equipment can still be used assuming you don't pay for electricity..

Sadly, most people do not have access to said free electricity and thus old mining equipment is obsolete in terms of BTC gained.
That being said if you are one of the lucky ones to have free hydro i would suggest starting threads and seeing if you can get some GH/s.

You may never get the shipping cost back.. But at the very least you'll be making the network more secure with your ancient mining gears.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
Never before 11 P.M.
May 07, 2015, 10:39:55 PM
This is the underlying weak point of ASIC's for any task.  Bleh.  Space heaters and noise boxes.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
May 06, 2015, 01:11:34 AM
I use my negative-profitable Antminer S1 for heating my house in the winter now! It almost makes enough to pay for its electricity bill and make heating free!!! That is honestly the only use for them nowadays. I think it would be cool if you could program them to secure your server network system or something but not sure if its possible.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
April 24, 2015, 07:25:37 AM
See this pre-existing thread: Non-Bitcoin Uses for Old ASIC Miners?

That said...
As an user of Block Erupter ASIC Miner I used to mine within 2013 but I stopped in the end of 2014 when it was becoming impossible to mine with only 0.333 Mh/s.
Check out: Block Erupter USB Three Days of Mining lottery
Activity: 1204
Merit: 531
Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons
April 24, 2015, 07:15:14 AM
Hello everyone!

What about our miners? As an user of Block Erupter ASIC Miner I used to mine within 2013 but I stopped in the end of 2014 when it was becoming impossible to mine with only 0.333 Ghash/sec. Plus, the GPU that mines at the same hash rate and a second computer with a smaller GPU that mines 80 Mhash/sec.

Does someone know how could we use them in a better condition than letting them mine with almost no chance to earn a small fragment of BTC?

What about our old miners? Many of them used to be interesting in 2011 and 2012. However, we are seeing how fast the BitCoin Network is growing, how fast is this decentralised network getting higher and higher. Today, there are more professional miners than casual miners because of the fact that Bitcoin mining became a more difficult task unless if we mine into an alternative coin. Anyone have an idea how can we give a second change to these little miners in order to still profit from the device? Anything that could be used with this type of device...

Thank you for your answers in advance!
Pages:
Jump to: