Pages:
Author

Topic: What are ASIC miners good for once mining is no longer profitable? - page 2. (Read 4437 times)

donator
Activity: 686
Merit: 519
It's for the children!
So you want to take an

Application Specific Integrated Circuit

and make it

Application In-Specific?
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Mining whatever cryptocurrencies require sha256(sha256()) and nothing else. They cannot do anything else. Period.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
ASICs by their very nature of being ASICs cannot be used for anything else bar 4 special uses: Doorstop, boat anchor, book end and paperweight. Though some are too light for even those uses.

Let's broaden the horizon a bit - how can we innovate and use the nature of SHA-256 ASICS another way? I like the idea of NMC for instance, but I feel like there should be a lot more possible uses.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
ASICs by their very nature of being ASICs cannot be used for anything else bar 4 special uses: Doorstop, boat anchor, book end and paperweight. Though some are too light for even those uses.
donator
Activity: 686
Merit: 519
It's for the children!
This cold winter I'm already starting to enjoy the "free" heat from the BE Cube I got today, but once the weather changes and difficulty goes up - what are the alternative uses for these dedicated SHA-256 miners? Can they somehow be reprogrammed to do a worthwhile task or are they just really expensive electric heaters once mining is no longer profitable?

They will be good to give to me.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
This cold winter I'm already starting to enjoy the "free" heat from the BE Cube I got today, but once the weather changes and difficulty goes up - what are the alternative uses for these dedicated SHA-256 miners? Can they somehow be reprogrammed to do a worthwhile task or are they just really expensive electric heaters once mining is no longer profitable?
Pages:
Jump to: