Pages:
Author

Topic: What are the biggestest threats to Bitcoin? - page 7. (Read 6917 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Loss of net neutrality? maybe?

I worry that ISPs in the future will block ports or otherwise try impeding bitcoin network traffic.  
That kind of tyranny is why guns were invented.

There are still the kind of men in this world who think, "fuck with my money, and I fuck with your life". Many of them are American and armed.

We need to get the Tea Party into Bitcoin. And the south.
Activity: 330
Merit: 100
that it is unsustainable because of mining ( polutes a lot ) thats why blackcoin is better--> no pollution at all
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Quantum computers? Bugs in the code? Centralized mining?

Is there anything that can't potentially be overcome that is a threat to Bitcoin? Anything I didn't mention?

Thanks in advanced.

IMHO, the biggest threat to Bitcoin is the large group of knuckleheads who seek universal adoption.
Activity: 153
Merit: 100
I think the issue with its security. Lots are seem very interested in getting BTC easily with its current value.
Activity: 280
Knowledge is Power
the biggest problems with bitcoin that I see are:
1) It offers no real advantage for consumers for day-to-day spending than cash or a credit/debit card - it's just more complicated. It's easy to dismiss this if you are tech-savvy, but think of the dumbest person you know. This could probably be improved with better POS terminals, etc.
2) Getting money in/out of bitcoin is still way more difficult than it needs to be
3) You can't buy hardly anything with it - and the incentive for merchants to accept it is low given the volatility and the fact that all of their bills are in a different currency. Instant conversion back to dollars kind of defeats the point if you ask me.
4) Most people view bitcoin as a money-making scheme, hoping that the value will rise dramatically due to the design-limited supply. If you're always thinking in your head that 10 years from now a coin will be worth $100k, there's a lot of pressure to not spend today. If the case for bitcoin was really cheaper, faster, better payments, there would not be so much focus on speculation.

All solid points but:

1. Will change once the technology is there. It takes time to improve but that's the direction it is moving in - being easy enough to be used by anyone.
2. Won't be an issue if Bitcoin truly catches on, because there will be no need to transfer it into fiat.
3. Once again, this is slowly improving every day. There are more and more merchants accepting it. But yes, we still need big names to accept bitcoin to get the ball rolling.
4. I think this has improved a lot over Bitcoin's lifetime. I personally got into it at the hope of making $$$, but as time goes on I stick with bitcoin because of its actual revolutionizing advantages like cutting off governments from controlling a currency. Also, with every new up and down more and more "weak hands" are weeded out - the people that are really here just for the profit.
Activity: 253
Merit: 0
the biggest problems with bitcoin that I see are:
1) It offers no real advantage for consumers for day-to-day spending than cash or a credit/debit card - it's just more complicated. It's easy to dismiss this if you are tech-savvy, but think of the dumbest person you know. This could probably be improved with better POS terminals, etc.
2) Getting money in/out of bitcoin is still way more difficult than it needs to be
3) You can't buy hardly anything with it - and the incentive for merchants to accept it is low given the volatility and the fact that all of their bills are in a different currency. Instant conversion back to dollars kind of defeats the point if you ask me.
4) Most people view bitcoin as a money-making scheme, hoping that the value will rise dramatically due to the design-limited supply. If you're always thinking in your head that 10 years from now a coin will be worth $100k, there's a lot of pressure to not spend today. If the case for bitcoin was really cheaper, faster, better payments, there would not be so much focus on speculation.
Activity: 577
Merit: 504
We'll have free energy before true quantum computers. Then we can run any kind of miners for free.

To the moon!!! I mean the difficulty Grin
legendary
Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072
quack
Yep,
Some of the actual threats which I can think of now, while writing this post (not in any order):
1. Media bashing
2. ISP/Governments, banning bitcoin or making it illegal to trade bitcoin <-> fiat
3. Bitcoin v2.0
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
We'll have free energy before true quantum computers. Then we can run any kind of miners for free.
Activity: 840
Merit: 509
The biggest threats to me are the media if they keep on the attack and spreading propoganda but also from the price fluctations. I just dont see how it can become a mainstream currency if the value dips as much as it does. I hope there will be a way around this somehow.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502

IIRC, quantum computing can only bring 256-bit bitcoin private key to be "as safe as" 128-bit.

There are many different wallet clients out there, and people are using different versions. Bugs in the code may affect some people, but probably not for the majority.

I think centralized mining could be a big problem, especially if we have some "bad" big miners trying to double-spend their own transactions.

Can anyone confirm or share info on the quantum computing part?
I can't but I can say that if quantum computing became a credible threat to Bitcoin it would also be a threat to all online commerce. The quantum computing argument is a bit like saying "a global nuclear war would bring down every node!" It's true, but misses the point that we would no longer care.
Activity: 674
Merit: 500
Hackers,

Hackers can't do much harm if people store their bitcoin in offline wallet or paper wallet. Smiley
Activity: 518
Hackers,
Activity: 674

IIRC, quantum computing can only bring 256-bit bitcoin private key to be "as safe as" 128-bit.

There are many different wallet clients out there, and people are using different versions. Bugs in the code may affect some people, but probably not for the majority.

I think centralized mining could be a big problem, especially if we have some "bad" big miners trying to double-spend their own transactions.

Can anyone confirm or share info on the quantum computing part?
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
+1 for non-fungibility

Also, the ability for which an individual's transactions and economic activity can be identified, tracked and taxed by a government is also a major and real threat.  Bitcoins that can be taxed as less valuable and have less utility than bitcoins that can't be taxed, we would see a drop in demand.

The power to tax is the power to destroy. Many believe that by making Bitcoin taxable and legitimate will increase adoption, I believe the inverse is true.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
What do you mean by threats?   Do you mean like a threat of BTC ceasing to exist, or a threat to prices, or market cap, or liquidity?

I think the biggest threat to prices would be overzealous governments trying too hard to control, tax, or ban it.

I am not great at the technical side of BTC, so I can't really speak on that part...

And that's what we will probably see with China soon. It will be interesting to see how bitcoin is doing in a hostile environment.

Sooner or later the ecosystem will just need to flourish with or without China. At the end of the day, they are just one country in the gigantic planet
Activity: 653

Activity: 462
Bugs in the code, quantum crytography advancing perhaps
Regulation
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
--------------->¿?
What do you mean by threats?   Do you mean like a threat of BTC ceasing to exist, or a threat to prices, or market cap, or liquidity?

I think the biggest threat to prices would be overzealous governments trying too hard to control, tax, or ban it.

I am not great at the technical side of BTC, so I can't really speak on that part...

And that's what we will probably see with China soon. It will be interesting to see how bitcoin is doing in a hostile environment.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

Pages:
Jump to: