Pages:
Author

Topic: What Do Philosophers Do? - page 3. (Read 3384 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
July 10, 2014, 10:35:35 PM
i'm not even sure.. i hated my philosophy teacher in college, since he was kind of avant garde and just ranted about nonsense that no one else understood. it's probably just convoluted logical thinking about the ethos of man.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 10, 2014, 10:29:57 PM
They help evolve human consciousness.  The great are prossecuted or attacked for their abstract conceptualizations.

Totally. This thread is a case in point. Smiley

People can balk all they want at philosophy, but even on a personal level, I found that approaching existential questions with an open mind really helped me grow as a person, and helped to put things in perspective. Science offers little in the way of answers -- remember when scientists thought the Earth was flat? And when Newtonian physics was gospel? -- so the questions are worth asking.

But you need a day job. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
July 10, 2014, 11:30:28 AM
They work at Starbucks.  Wink
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
July 10, 2014, 11:29:58 AM
I know someone who thinks he is a Philosopher.
what he do is have a bag of weed on is side and light up every now and then.

Most professors do the same thing.

Bingo, haha. Most of the more intelligent people I've met in my life were weed smokers. I know people say things like this to make them look dumb, but... just not my experience.
Activity: 231
July 10, 2014, 10:42:01 AM

Most professors do the same thing.
Activity: 476
July 10, 2014, 09:42:53 AM

Sounds lke most of them.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018
July 10, 2014, 08:01:40 AM
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
July 10, 2014, 07:30:21 AM
philosophers always think on any subject with multiple ways . They never believe any thing from one angle. They try to co relate all the stuffs

with God and good or bad Karmas. According to them everything happens for a reason and a super power is governing all activities of the earth

when they become graduate they try to become teacher and teaches philosophy

They perpetuate superstition.

"Karma".

'Real' philosophers trained in philosophy definitely do not do such things.

Anyone can call themselves a philosopher and attach any illogical superstitious ideas to the label of philosophy. But that doesn't make it true.
July 10, 2014, 06:46:27 AM
philosophers always think on any subject with multiple ways . They never believe any thing from one angle. They try to co relate all the stuffs

with God and good or bad Karmas. According to them everything happens for a reason and a super power is governing all activities of the earth

They perpetuate superstition.

"Karma".
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
July 10, 2014, 06:36:49 AM

legendary
Activity: 1134
You cannot kill love
July 10, 2014, 12:33:46 AM
They help evolve human consciousness.  The great are prossecuted or attacked for their abstract conceptualizations.
Activity: 238
July 10, 2014, 12:15:47 AM
I had a friend that majored in philosophy in college. Yeah he is now in hotel management. Wink He makes good money and all, but I don't think there's much in the way of jobs. You're not gonna be a professor -- a billion and one people want that job.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
July 09, 2014, 08:53:01 PM
If you don't get bogged down by this obsession with "jobs" and "money" and all other things mundane and meaningless, you may find the work done by philosophers to be quite fruitful. And I consider that true for existential and metaphysical philosophers as well as those who analyze less abstract subjects like logic and symbology.

Really, the importance one places on the notion of philosophy, and certainly metaphysics, I think, boils down to the importance one places on the mundane. If you care only about money and other mundane pleasures, of course you will scoff at philosophers. You've set an arbitrary threshold for what defines meaning, that being the limits of your perception, of your static reality. But what is perception, but something radically subjective (by definition not truth)? People like to act like they know the world like the back of their hand -- they know nothing about nothing.

Anyway, I'm a nihilist in many senses. I think knowledge of truth is impossible by definition, at least for us lowly humans. Perception is everything -- and one's perception of the mundane being the only existing reality, the only important reality -- is simply one perception. One interpretation. It's the easiest road to take, so most take it.
July 09, 2014, 07:23:23 PM
What Do Philosophers Do and what type of jobs do Philosopher get when they graduate ?

They mentally masturbate and don't get high paying jobs.

Generally they teach others to do the same things.
Activity: 224
VocalPlatform.com
July 09, 2014, 06:09:52 PM
They think about useless stuff.

One thing i learned between dreams inside philosophy class was that this boring thing is the first step of all remaining science,

it is the main idea, "I think and then exist"...
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
July 09, 2014, 02:54:00 PM
> ...

> this is the insulting robot

> what philosophers try to achieve in reasoning, robots solved a long time ago

legendary
amarha
July 09, 2014, 01:47:15 PM

Do you consider logic useless?
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
July 09, 2014, 01:28:46 PM
Wrong, many philosophers pushed civilization forward
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
July 09, 2014, 01:20:01 PM
they are writing books, and if they caught some attention, than they give lectures, that is all they can do.
legendary
amarha
July 09, 2014, 11:11:53 AM
Professional philosophers who are trained in philosophy and teach or write for a living use their skills for many things. It's mainly learning how to apply logic to help better understand things. It's applicable in any scenario in life. Understanding how to use critical thinking and logic is probably one of the most underrated skills in general.

Modern analytical philosophy is not all wishy washy irrelevant mental masturbation. Philosophy in general gets a bad rap since people often associate it with unproductive musings on things that can not be known or things that are supernatural and easily dismissed. But someone trained in modern analytical philosophy is someone who understands modern symbolic logic, modern neurology and the biochemistry involved with our brain function, the philosophy of language and how we communicate and many more relevent topics.
Pages:
Jump to: