Pages:
Author

Topic: What do you look for when investing in an ICO? - page 5. (Read 681 times)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 250
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Hi everyone

New to this forum but I see a lot of veteran advice here. Lately I've been researching, tracking and dabbling in a ICOs. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on ICOs, in general, and what your guidelines for investment might be. Note, this isn't a standard "should I invest in btc or X, Y or Z thread, but more of a place to share some strategies.

Personally I always start with the whitepaper and research it and its merit. If it sounds reasonable, I try to answer the question of "what problem does this ICO solve?" - is there a need for it, or, is it simply applying blockchain to some aspect of some industry for no real reason.

Finally, I look at the team. Have I heard of anyone, can I find them on twitter or LinkedIn, etc.

Anyone have other strategies they are willing to share? Looking forward to the discussion!
You do everything right friend. Everything listed by you makes sense, but I will say from my own experience that the team's notoriety does not always play a major role. There are many such examples. The same Stratis, for example. I look at the idea, the availability of a software product, and also see if the work is being done by the devs.
Activity: 134
Merit: 0
Hi everyone

New to this forum but I see a lot of veteran advice here. Lately I've been researching, tracking and dabbling in a ICOs. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on ICOs, in general, and what your guidelines for investment might be. Note, this isn't a standard "should I invest in btc or X, Y or Z thread, but more of a place to share some strategies.

Personally I always start with the whitepaper and research it and its merit. If it sounds reasonable, I try to answer the question of "what problem does this ICO solve?" - is there a need for it, or, is it simply applying blockchain to some aspect of some industry for no real reason.

Finally, I look at the team. Have I heard of anyone, can I find them on twitter or LinkedIn, etc.

Anyone have other strategies they are willing to share? Looking forward to the discussion!
If you are only studying a whitepaper of an ICO, I think it is very less. Sometimes there are some ICO that do not run what is in the Whitepaper. Do not let you get stuck with the content of Whitepaper that is so sweet. I suggest you learn other things from ICO, such as teams, developers, managers, websites, and business partners. That's just a stupid suggestion from me, hopefully useful.
Activity: 448
Merit: 110
As usual before i invest to an ICO i always check what the project is all about, reading whitepapers, searching the team behind the project and also the target community/costumer of the project because with that criteria youll know if the ICO will become successful or not
Activity: 1708
Merit: 541
I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on ICOs, in general, and what your guidelines for investment might be. Note, this isn't a standard "should I invest in btc or X, Y or Z thread, but more of a place to share some strategies.

Since the first time there was an ICO, I always skeptical about it. I just dob't get it why people are pouring money into a conceptual whitepaper with no working product. What's worse is that most of these ICO died shortly after the distribution of the tokens and the product will never be made. I think only 1 in a 100 ICO product make it and get released to the market and have an actual use. It's even stranger that over time ICO only becomes more popular, at least so far. I thought this is unhealthy for the economy as most people just using it as a gambling to make more bucks instead of investing for better and innovative technology. I really hope ICO scene will get better in the future or simply just ends the frenzy.

My strategy is not much different from yours, it's just I don't start with the whitepaper. In fact, I rarely read any whitepaper because I could already tell that some ICOs are just there to make quick buck and not here to stay. I only read the ones that I deem reasonable and promising.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
Personally, I would first look at the feasibility of the project. Next is to look at the team of the project to see if anyone has experience in the field that the project targets. Finally, the level of community interest, whether the project is community appreciated or not!
Activity: 98
The hype and only. If the token is well known that means the price will rise and I may get a profit. If the project is a dark horse I would think twice before investing ... and certainly won't invest in it.

Do you mean the token that the ico might be using/based on? Or are saying hype of the project itself? I guess any investment in an ICO would likely come before or extremely early I to any hype generation. If there was a ton of hype, likely the project already satisfied its ICO and is moving towards (hopefully  Smiley ) going live.
Thanks!
Activity: 154
The hype and only. If the token is well known that means the price will rise and I may get a profit. If the project is a dark horse I would think twice before investing ... and certainly won't invest in it.
Well you're going to have to look for a handful of things, first thing is that the coin has a usage and it could actually become something (most coins don't have this, you're going to have to look pretty hard) Then you see the team behind it, advisors, etc. Advisors, even though they may not play a big part in the coin itself, may be able to hype the coin up enough to where you're able to turn a profit.

I also don't know what you're getting into the ICO's for, is it for profit? Or do you want to join in on another coin from the bottom and see where it takes you?

I guess the investment is a mix of profit and the excitement of being part of something from the beginning; although the profit is certainly not a goal, it's a nice to have. Definitely not pursuing any of these to make myself rich.

The advisors are a good point, but I wonder how freely they allow themselves to be tied to a project. I guess there's no general rule about labelling an advisor even if they've contributed very little (beyond the advisor themselves giving permission for association).
Thanks
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
it's good but before deciding to invest first learn the intent and purpose of the project let you not wrong in choosing project to invest. learn everything from roadmap, whitepaper, team and others
Since most ICO's are reportedly scams,i very much don't like investing in them in the first place and i would rather invest into BTC, that's buying and holding them till i have made a great profit before selling it. But i do believe that an extensive research in to the ICO is bound to reveal some information about the ICO.

Well that's why you have this forum and reddit possibly and whatnot else. You never run in somewhere head first without any any consulting or unleast reading other peoples comments. It's not like there isn't anywhere to do so.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Well you're going to have to look for a handful of things, first thing is that the coin has a usage and it could actually become something (most coins don't have this, you're going to have to look pretty hard) Then you see the team behind it, advisors, etc. Advisors, even though they may not play a big part in the coin itself, may be able to hype the coin up enough to where you're able to turn a profit.

I also don't know what you're getting into the ICO's for, is it for profit? Or do you want to join in on another coin from the bottom and see where it takes you?

Activity: 644
Merit: 259
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
it's good but before deciding to invest first learn the intent and purpose of the project let you not wrong in choosing project to invest. learn everything from roadmap, whitepaper, team and others
Since most ICO's are reportedly scams,i very much don't like investing in them in the first place and i would rather invest into BTC, that's buying and holding them till i have made a great profit before selling it. But i do believe that an extensive research in to the ICO is bound to reveal some information about the ICO.
Activity: 980
Merit: 502
Hi everyone

There are many things to look for in an ICO, like how the website is built, information about the team members is correct or not, is the team legit or not and most importantly that is there any real world use of the coins to be sold, if there isn't any real problem that is solved by that ICO then there is no use of investing in that project as then there would be no use of that token and maybe the money you invest in that would be lost.
If you just follow these simple steps then I believe that you can easily spot a pretty nice ICO and also do share with others if you find one as it will be for the betterment of the public here.
Activity: 133
Merit: 0
Hi everyone

your strategies is already good, just do some more researching in other ico or project, or just google them, just to find is there any other similar platform. because if there is another similar platform it's just not going to work. and probably look at the community, it is good or it is not looking good, the atmosphere. i think this is the most i could think, please if anyone would add other opinion, i gladly hear it  Wink
Activity: 1428
You need to gain more knowledge about an trusted successful ico. if you want to join with an ico then you need to learn about their past work if they done that! if you found some trustfull and successful information then you can join with them.
Activity: 448
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
Mostly lurking the alt-coin section and following McAfee on twitter. I'm not that much into alt-coins and ICO but if I hear that there's an opportunity, I'd be looking or bounties, airdrops,etc.. anything where I might get some coins/tokens before, potentially, investing.
That's a good point, it's basically penny stocks for the new age. You can throw a little bit of extra money around and into a few ICOs and if anything picks up speed, you can make a decent profit quick - particularly if you get in at the pre-ICO stage and get the extra percent rewards. Thanks
Activity: 396
Hi everyone

For persons who are not skilled in trading, this is a good option for them to make a profit. However, this still requires a good knowledge of the crypto market as well as ICO projects. If lucky to participate in a successful ICO then the profit is not small. And, also you do not have to spend too much time on this job.
Hi everyone

Pages:
Jump to: