Pages:
Author

Topic: what do you think about USDT? - page 5. (Read 752 times)

Activity: 443
Merit: 101
December 05, 2020, 09:05:26 AM
It will definitely drop if USD would become problematic. The question however is that when can this be so possible and why hodl USDT? I mean USDT is there in order to have cryptocurrency pegged by USD value. In other words like other stable coin in order to maintain its value from the word itself "stable", it needs minting and burning to maintain at its par value equal to usd. In such case, it is so important to notice that despite being a cryptocurrency - it is not advisable to hold more USDT to grow money because in the first place it will always retain at its par.

If the concern is investment purposes then the answer is solved however if it is because of the crypto itself; well the environment of crypto is total mainstream adoption so expect traditional financial set up to come up in the crypto world.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1033
Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins
December 05, 2020, 09:02:59 AM
USDT is pegged to the US Dollar so it is normal to follow the purchasing power swings of the underlying.

Personally I don't use USDT because I consider it a risky currency. Besides being an inflationary asset you have to trust the company holding the underlying asset (Tether). That's an extra risk I am not willing to expose myself to.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 105
👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh |🔥Launchpad on TON
December 05, 2020, 08:32:06 AM
USDT is one of the stable coins that has a stable price using the original USD underlying, but did you know that USD currency can be printed arbitrarily without an underlying different from IDR or rupiah printed based on gold underlying
 in other words USDT can also print coins at will like USD can USDT be trusted?  without the underlying USD, which becomes the underlying of USDT, it could experience a sudden drop in price, in other words if the USD is problematic, it will also affect the USDT price.
 what do you think about this?

as long as USD is still the currency that is recognized and used in the world, then in my opinion USD can still be trusted, therefore in my opinion USDT can still be trusted as a stable coin in cryptocurrency too, because I also prefer to use USDT as a stable coin to store my money in cryptocurrency to keep its value stable if I'm not trading.
Activity: 438
Merit: 256
Redot.com - Trade Like a Pro, Earn 70% of Referral
December 05, 2020, 08:30:15 AM
USDT is one of the stable coins that has a stable price using the original USD underlying, but did you know that USD currency can be printed arbitrarily without an underlying different from IDR or rupiah printed based on gold underlying
 in other words USDT can also print coins at will like USD can USDT be trusted?  without the underlying USD, which becomes the underlying of USDT, it could experience a sudden drop in price, in other words if the USD is problematic, it will also affect the USDT price.
Stable coins, easy way to you saving USDT without account bank.  Helping trade to easily buy the crypto without third party or long procedure for spend out. I'm not sure about security they had some back up assets USD real or gold.  I have hear about USDT on smartcontract, if your token get burned, that's will be lost and can't recovered.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
December 05, 2020, 07:58:43 AM
My views are summed up in these two topics:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.33233707
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18693313

It's basically just ~20 billion empty promises.  Avoid.

Just look at their legal page:

Tether makes no representations or warranties about whether Tether Tokens that may be traded on the Site may be traded on the Site at any point in the future, if at all.

No Representations & Warranties by Tether: Tether makes no representations, warranties, or guarantees to you of any kind. The Site and the Services are offered strictly on an as-is, where-is basis and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, are offered without any representation as to merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose.

Limitation of Liability & Release: Important: Except as may be provided for in these Terms of Service, Tether assumes no liability or responsibility for and shall have no liability or responsibility for any claim, application, loss, injury, delay, accident, cost, business interruption costs, or any other expenses (including, without limitation, attorneys’ fees or the costs of any claim or suit), nor for any incidental, direct, indirect, general, special, punitive, exemplary, or consequential damages, loss of goodwill or business profits, work stoppage, data loss, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all other commercial losses (collectively, referred to herein as “Losses”) directly or indirectly arising out of or related to:
(...)
any delay in withdrawal or redemption, or loss of value of Tether Tokens or the Reserves backing such Tether Tokens resulting from failure or insolvency of any bank, depository, custodian, borrower, or payment processor holding or processing the assets backing Tether Tokens, or from the theft of such assets, or from freezes, seizures, or other legal process asserted by a Government

Translation:  When they run into a problem, it becomes your problem.
Activity: 518
Merit: 21
December 05, 2020, 06:50:29 AM
I try to avoid USDT as much as possible but most of the exchange provides margin and leverage only for USDT. If they have many options, the full potential and largest margin are restricted to USDT. Some exchanges provide lending only on USDT. These exchanges are trying all they can to promote USDT but their terms takes no liability in securing the price of those stablecoins. There must be some hidden interest involved with USDT.
USDT is not a bad crypto and totally useful when you hold btc. This because yoi can get profit with bitcoin and can still be stored as crypto using USDT which is stable and has the value of which 1USDT is equivalent to 1$ respectively. Anyway, if you do not like this process you can still directly exchange your btc to fiat but you will going to expect that it will cost you more from the conversion process and third party services.
Activity: 1055
Merit: 103
December 05, 2020, 06:28:07 AM
I try to avoid USDT as much as possible but most of the exchange provides margin and leverage only for USDT. If they have many options, the full potential and largest margin are restricted to USDT. Some exchanges provide lending only on USDT. These exchanges are trying all they can to promote USDT but their terms takes no liability in securing the price of those stablecoins. There must be some hidden interest involved with USDT.
Activity: 238
Merit: 28
December 05, 2020, 06:21:45 AM
USDT has many controversies. Like, their lawyer claimed that each of the USDT tokens is backed by 0.74$ worth of cash. Also, USDT's parent company, Bitfinex failed to show audit. Their controversies forced USDT to drop below $0.87.

Instead of the controversies, I like to hodl USDT in the time of volatility. Because it's available in all of my favorite exchanges. Also, it's available in Tron, Ethereum, Binance, EOS, etc.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 564
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 05, 2020, 05:53:15 AM
USDT is a secured asset in crypto currency people want a stable coin in this unstable market so I would prefer USDT when the market goes down, We also have a genuine example for fluctuation especially like bitcoin.

As far as I know Tether is a profitable investment in bear market situation even in volatile market it helps many of them to save their earnings to avoid loss as well, Tether is a safe and secure investment without any doubt.
Activity: 938
Merit: 255
SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE
December 05, 2020, 05:00:56 AM
The simple fact has always been that, it's not really worth it, trusting centralized platforms because the team have the sole power to do any thing they want, and since USDT is one of such, the team can mint at will. However, on the other hand, USDT has grown so much over the years, have huge users and volume, therefore with such growth and position in the crypto space, one can say that, USDT will hardly face a problem which will lead to a sudden and significant drop in price, if that should happen, it will be a disaster, will affect a lot of people and will lead to the death of the platform, because trust will be lost in all ramifications.
In my own humble opinion, Bitcoin has always been the best and the most trusted for long term holding.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1
December 05, 2020, 04:30:40 AM
Pages:
Jump to: