Pages:
Author

Topic: What happens in the government if Bitcoin takes over? - page 2. (Read 1903 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
Most governments get their money from taxes. If these become impossible to collect, how will the government support itself? They would no longer have control over any currency. Would BTC taxes have to be enforced? Should an alternative be sought? How can a government survive without money?

I'd like to see people's opinions on anything related to this, as I feel that most forum members are better versed in such themes than I am, and I'm open to what everyone has to say.

Please let me know why would taxes become impossible to collect with bitcoin..

How are you going to avoid paying property tax or vat with bitcoin?

It would only make it a bit hard for them to collect taxes but not impossible

Probably only a tiny bit ..

I have a question for this guys who claim that with bitcoin you can avoid taxes , will you also avoid paying speed tickets when bitcoin replaces fiat?

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Decentralized thinking
Most governments get their money from taxes. If these become impossible to collect, how will the government support itself? They would no longer have control over any currency. Would BTC taxes have to be enforced? Should an alternative be sought? How can a government survive without money?

I'd like to see people's opinions on anything related to this, as I feel that most forum members are better versed in such themes than I am, and I'm open to what everyone has to say.

It would only make it a bit hard for them to collect taxes but not impossible
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust

Decentralized thinking

A sales tax would make sense. Businesses collect when you make a purchase and send it to the government just like a lot of states do right now.
Your right, if government can't tax bitcoin than will tax the goods and the  services you purchase with bitcoin.At this point,government won't have any issue to get the money from tax,but in the future, if probably will exist only virtual currency’s they will come out with ways to tax/collect money.
Their first targets will be exchanges like coinbase
Activity: 448

A sales tax would make sense. Businesses collect when you make a purchase and send it to the government just like a lot of states do right now.
Your right, if government can't tax bitcoin than will tax the goods and the  services you purchase with bitcoin.At this point,government won't have any issue to get the money from tax,but in the future, if probably will exist only virtual currency’s they will come out with ways to tax/collect money.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196
Reputation first.
There are two possibilities:

1) Government will try to regulate it.
2) Government will try to ban it

Activity: 528
Merit: 527
Property taxes
Mineral taxes
Oil extraction taxes
Road taxes
Import/Export taxes
Sales taxes
Travel taxes

Governments won't have any trouble collecting taxes. What they won't be able to do anymore is to run a deficit. Governments that try to run a deficit will quickly be marginilized just like in 3rd world countries.

I think this will ultimately mean less war, less prisons, and less welfare.
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
And what happens to Bitcoin if the goverment takes it over and starts controlling it?

Evidently, they would drop it in favor of fiat... Cool

or bastardise it to the point that it might as well just be fiat.

This is one of the reasons why Bitcoin will ultimately fail as a medium of exchange (even if it doesn't get banned in the interim)... Cool
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Kia ora!
And what happens to Bitcoin if the goverment takes it over and starts controlling it?

or bastardise it to the point that it might as well just be fiat.
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Kia ora!
What happens in the government if Bitcoin takes over?

Just look back at the Governments, music and film industries reactions to torrents. So just replace 'music and film industries' with 'Banks', and you pretty much have your answer.
Activity: 434
bitcoin can't take over. if it were that dangerous to the establishment, they'd do everything in their power to stop it.

Yes, they will still have ways of controlling it and people, in fact i think bitcoin is beneficial to them, they know fiat money failed, and bitcoin is the perfect solution.

nope, the establishment depends on fiat money to get rich. bitcoin removes the banks, especially if it gains enough steam. banks are an industry that deals with trillions of dollars. all they'd have to do is throw some money at politicians and shit will go down.
Activity: 462
bitcoin can't take over. if it were that dangerous to the establishment, they'd do everything in their power to stop it.

Yes, they will still have ways of controlling it and people, in fact i think bitcoin is beneficial to them, they know fiat money failed, and bitcoin is the perfect solution.
Activity: 434
Merit: 104
I expect the gov to tag us with a chip and be able to track us using bitcoin this way.  They will regulate bitcoin even more this way.  Satoshi started the new world order.

Reason why anonymous coin are getting attention.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
It wont take over anything. And the portion of the market that will bitcoin get will be monitored through blockchain.
If u take a minute to think about it, there is allways a way to monitor transactions.
Activity: 364
I expect the gov to tag us with a chip and be able to track us using bitcoin this way.  They will regulate bitcoin even more this way.  Satoshi started the new world order.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
There are today in the world countries where governments don't control their currencies, and that doesn't prevent them to tax plenty of things. The government can tax properties, vehicles and every good which it says require to be registered. The government also control borders, so it's easy to tax anything coming in.

Several third world countries have their local currency pegged to the U.S. dollar, all for the better, because that helps investors believing in them.

So what makes you think the U.S. controls its borders?  Cheesy Wink But, seriously, if the government knows it exists, it's going to find a way to tax it. Anyway, it's going to be just a matter of time before the U.S. creates its own cryptocurrency if it hasn't already.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
There are today in the world countries where governments don't control their currencies, and that doesn't prevent them to tax plenty of things. The government can tax properties, vehicles and every good which it says require to be registered. The government also control borders, so it's easy to tax anything coming in.

Several third world countries have their local currency pegged to the U.S. dollar, all for the better, because that helps investors believing in them.
Pages:
Jump to: