Pages:
Author

Topic: What happens to the forum if Theymos was to disappear? - page 2. (Read 364 times)

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2012
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
While it would really create a problem if theymos suddenly disappear for some reason, I would leave that part to handle by theymos. He must have plan on what should be done. Some people often say it’s theymos forum after all, let him think about this. This is my personal opinion.
Regarding who would be the best candidate- it also depends. Since Cyrus is currently an admin, theymos may share information with him but it doesn’t necessarily have to be. theymos may have someone else in mind too as the way he gained the access from satoshi. Had anyone thought what would have happened if satoshi disappear? No but he had his plan and found theymos to hand over the responsibility.
Activity: 334
Merit: 275
I really struggled coming up with a title for this thread when all I could think of was click bait type headlines but the question is in relation with the domain name update announced back in 2020 where Cobra no longer controls or has access to Bitcointalk.org.

I am not intending on starting any drama again so I would like to make a local rule of no discussion of Cobra, Gmaxwell and the drama that led up to that situation. Instead I would like to see discussion on the problem of only having one person control the domain name and should that be rectified or if it needs to be rectified at all.

If you need a refresh of your memory: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/domain-name-update-5241347

My concerns are with the following statement from theymos
There will be no changes whatsoever on bitcointalk.org due to this, and I'd assume that the same will be true of bitcoin.org. The bitcoin.org open-source project has been advancing steadily, and I hope and expect that it will continue to do so thanks to the efforts of its contributors.
The problem we have currently from my knowledge is we only have one point of failure regarding the recovery of the Bitcoin domain name if theymos was to ever disappear.

Cøbra had ultimate technical authority over both domains; I only had management access. There was never a point in history where I had ultimate authority over either domain.
Previously Cobra had ultimate control over Bitcointalk.org while theymos only had management access. I do not know what is meant by management access but it sounds like even when Cobra was in ultimate control if Cobra disappeared the domain name would have been lost too.

My question is how can we better secure the domain in the event that theymos disappears (something that I am not saying will happen or is even likely too) but from a security perspective surely it would be better practice to allow recovery of the domain. Cyrus being the only other admin would probably be the best candidate?

Pages:
Jump to: