Pages:
Author

Topic: WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE A NASTY DIVORCE AND A FAT BTC WALLET? - page 3. (Read 3039 times)

Activity: 910
Merit: 550
If the both of them earned the bitcoin then they should split it in two but if only one earned it why would they split it, it should only be kept by the one who earned it. If your wife know about your crypto currency then it will be a long story but we all have our secrets to hide and my bitcoin is one of them.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
I'm assuming most would have read, watched and some probably experienced divorce proceedings.
It's certainly not a pretty thing, especially when it's a nasty one. Now, the question is do you
reveal your BTC wallet address when undergoing proceedings or do you simply keep shtum.
Or maybe you have been careless enough to let your spouse know about your crypto dealings.
Do you willingly part with the nice rising BTC or do you offer to pay up in Fiat?

This post is merely for fun, 'I AM NOT MARRIED' Grin
It is simple, it matters who has access to the accounts and on who's name it is made, there is no legislation issue yet regarding the heritage of bitcoin.
Activity: 179
Merit: 10
There is no such thing as backdrop of divorce. Example are just shouting in front of the court and there is no respect for each other no matter how important it is to each other that their wealth is useless .it's useless compared to a wealthy thing .your money pocket is full of money and your currency is much .it's very useful .if I choose something in virtual or after that I'm i in fat of wallet vs.human resources, you live in bitcoin fat because we live a good way of life and also live together in bitcoin for that reason I work hard here...
Activity: 420
Merit: 100
Nothing maybe she will come back if you cash out every bitcoin and throw the money on her face maybe she will even go into bitcoin with you then and then you both can make bitcoins together.

Haha Sacredtoad, she sees the secret, she's gone with a younger better-looking guy. That goes for the opposite sex too, meaning the guy would pull a Hugh Hefner Grin
Activity: 420
Merit: 100
Quite a tricky and intriguing question tbh, and if someone goes through this route, I'm not even sure how the proceedings would work in countries that don't define bitcoin very well.

Properties can be anything: clothes, gadgets, pillows.. the list goes on and on. Assuming that you and your wife gets divorced, normally a judge would rule out that your entire net worth together would be split evenly in half, but that doesn't include your toothbrush, pillows, clothes--literally all of the things you own.

If I own $20,000 worth of clothes, I wouldn't need to declare it as a part of my asset since, well it cannot be sold easily plus my ex-wife can't even use it. So in this case, those little things don't need to be declared in your asset when legal separation comes to play. Bitcoins, on the other hand, is considered as an asset as well. In the end, it all boils down to the judge and his associates to decide on the matter.

Also an important lesson: never ever tell your spouse that you are rich in crypto Grin

Hi dothebeats, well said, I couldn't agree more Grin
Activity: 686
Merit: 108
Well your are lucky because you still have your own money to use for your next family, it's really up to you when you will say about your holdings with bitcoin or you just keep on your own so she will never be benefited on that, after all she was your wife and you are just talking about money.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Nothing maybe she will come back if you cash out every bitcoin and throw the money on her face maybe she will even go into bitcoin with you then and then you both can make bitcoins together.
Activity: 1918
Merit: 564
I think there is thing called conjugal property, unless this bitcoin was earned by the two, the can share it else if this is solely hard earned by a guy, the woman have no rights to have a share from it.  Aside from that, I think it should be declared as couples savings in order for these separate couple to have an equal share on that BTC. But one thing is for sure, it would easy to find a new partner with such FAT BTC wallet.
Activity: 2996
Merit: 609
I see this thread is still bursting with misinformation, delusion and self righteousness. Remind me never to purchase legal 'advice' from anyone on this forum.

We'll probably start to hear about more than a few cases of crypto and divorce in the near future. If you're in the wrong country, ie America, UK and a few others, then your money, and crypto is part of that, being forcibly reallocated is a given. 

Agreed. I don't think you should hide it, as a) it's a dick move, b) it could easily come back to bite you on the ass if the truth comes out later - in which case the judge will throw the book at you. Best approach would be to pay 50% of the fiat equivalent if you believe there's still am lot of growth potential, or sell half and cut your losses.
Besides if you feel the need to go through the trouble of hiding your bitcoin investments to your partner then why did you marry in the first place if you do not trust in this person? This is why I have always thought that many people marry for the wrong reasons and that is why there are so many divorces.
You cant really escape that thing on which your wife will definitely knows all of your holdings and as you said we do trust our wives thats why we do decide to marry her. We do entrust all of our belongings and possible assets along the way and if you do have bitcoin then for sure you wife do really knows about that and making lies on the court will really put you on trouble later on.
Activity: 756
Merit: 252
I see this thread is still bursting with misinformation, delusion and self righteousness. Remind me never to purchase legal 'advice' from anyone on this forum.

We'll probably start to hear about more than a few cases of crypto and divorce in the near future. If you're in the wrong country, ie America, UK and a few others, then your money, and crypto is part of that, being forcibly reallocated is a given. 

Agreed. I don't think you should hide it, as a) it's a dick move, b) it could easily come back to bite you on the ass if the truth comes out later - in which case the judge will throw the book at you. Best approach would be to pay 50% of the fiat equivalent if you believe there's still am lot of growth potential, or sell half and cut your losses.
Besides if you feel the need to go through the trouble of hiding your bitcoin investments to your partner then why did you marry in the first place if you do not trust in this person? This is why I have always thought that many people marry for the wrong reasons and that is why there are so many divorces.
Activity: 1806
Merit: 672
In a legal perspective you don't have any choice but to reveal all your assets including the once earned in Bitcoin as it is required by law, you can even be caught after the divorced. Now for your agreement or settlement about the division of wealth it is really up to you and it depends if your wife agrees with what you offer. You also have to put into consideration in who will take care of your children with of course he or she getting a bigger share to support their child.
Activity: 966
Merit: 517

It doesn’t  matter that what is happening in the life if a person is achieving a good profit he doesn’t need anyone else and his life he may have to pay some money to his wife and they separate their paths and he can easily continue his life so that his wife will feel regret to get divorced from million and she will fell regret and will soon ask for the patch up again because money is everything and everyone needs it.
Activity: 316
Merit: 101
The Winner Stands Alone
I will give her fiat after exchange my bitcoin, but for sure I will make exact calculation before decide how much I would give to my ex wife. But if my child chose to live with her mom, I will give extra fiat to raise our child. I will not tell her about my bitcoin or real fiat amount Smiley, my ex only need to know that she's got enough.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
Quite a tricky and intriguing question tbh, and if someone goes through this route, I'm not even sure how the proceedings would work in countries that don't define bitcoin very well.

Properties can be anything: clothes, gadgets, pillows.. the list goes on and on. Assuming that you and your wife gets divorced, normally a judge would rule out that your entire net worth together would be split evenly in half, but that doesn't include your toothbrush, pillows, clothes--literally all of the things you own.

If I own $20,000 worth of clothes, I wouldn't need to declare it as a part of my asset since, well it cannot be sold easily plus my ex-wife can't even use it. So in this case, those little things don't need to be declared in your asset when legal separation comes to play. Bitcoins, on the other hand, is considered as an asset as well. In the end, it all boils down to the judge and his associates to decide on the matter.

Also an important lesson: never ever tell your spouse that you are rich in crypto Grin
Activity: 1008
Merit: 510
I'm assuming most would have read, watched and some probably experienced divorce proceedings.
It's certainly not a pretty thing, especially when it's a nasty one. Now, the question is do you
reveal your BTC wallet address when undergoing proceedings or do you simply keep shtum.
Or maybe you have been careless enough to let your spouse know about your crypto dealings.
Do you willingly part with the nice rising BTC or do you offer to pay up in Fiat?

If your spouse knows the specifics about your cryptocurrencies, then you’re probably going to have to include it in the settlement just like anything else. If your spouse is not aware of what you have or at least not all that you have, you probably shouldn’t reveal it all. Keep as much of it to yourself as possible because it’s very likely that he/she would never be able to track it down. As far as how you would give half the funds over, I don’t think it really matters since you would be losing it anyway.
Activity: 322
Merit: 102
I'm not sure what's to discuss. Should be no different than with other possessions. No?
I would agree in this! Bitcoin must be also the same with other possessions you have. However assuming that your partner doesn't know about your crytocurrency world up to the present, I think it will not matter whether she knows it or not. Funny to think that questions like this are in the forum. Oh! Reality of life.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

If the proceeding is going on and my ex half doesn't know about it well i probably keep it as a secret,it doesn't mean that you don't have the right to keep a secret just because you are married,i believe that though im into a relationship i still manage myself not to tell everything it doesn't mean that im being greedy or unfaithful there are really things we have to keep for our self..
To op mate,
I can see that you are referring to a husband but im a woman/wife here entering in a crypto world wanted to earn bitcoins for future use.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 588
The fat wallet will be then circulating on the market after the nasty divorce. I would rather invest that amount or spend all those to enjoy my life. Your ex should handle their own life unless if we do have children then all the amount should be nmed after them will atleast you are trying to be a good parent
copper member
Activity: 83
Merit: 0
SHPING Presale: SOLD OUT / Crowdsale:22 FEB-23 MAR
An interesting topic:) but this is just a matter of time until it becomes mandatory to disclose BTC or other cryptos as an asset to the revenue office, once this is done, your wife or everyone else will have access to this info. Enjoy it while it last Smiley
Activity: 490
Merit: 101

Pages:
Jump to: