Pages:
Author

Topic: What hardware to buy with $500K. Can you get 16NM or 20NM ASICs? - page 2. (Read 2729 times)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

I was thinking about renting some colocation cabinets and estimate a $600+ day power bill. This would probably place my rent in the $25K a month range if I decided to get into the bitcoin business and drop some serious cash on hardware.

If you were to drop $500K in hardware, what would you buy that is available or expected to be available in the next couple of months? I would think the price of bitcoin would need to be about $250 or greater to return a profit, and I believe eventually it'll work its way on up to the 4's and $500 again. But hey that's just me, and lots of folks I've talked to say bitcoin is dead. It's been flat, and growing slower in acceptance this year, but I have hope.

I've read 16NM has been in development and I think 20NM ASICs are available. Can one buy just the chips themselves and have them assembled on a PCB? Essentially, what would be the best bang for the buck to return a profit? Or is the difficulty just too great now and power consumption too much that its impossible? Somewhere the numbers must add up to return a profit, but I've had no luck in finding the hardware needed to do so. And other companies have decided to no longer sell to the public and just mine for themselves. That's why I was curious about sourcing the ASIC chips themselves. But I have a feeling it would be a lot more work to assemble a working rig if one were to drop a few hundred grand. Is cloud hashing a good bet?

Thanks in advance.
Pages:
Jump to: