Pages:
Author

Topic: What I think Bitcoin's MAIN problem is, and how to fix it - page 2. (Read 3293 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
If you would like to make more people to have bitcoin, you can design a new method by using CPU only. and you can set the distribution method by sorting the whole hashing power and giving the people in different segmentation the same reward, which means, for example, to the top 5%  people they will enjoy the same reward.

I know bitcoin depends on finding the solution, but imagine the whole world is a mining pool. I am not a technical guy but I think this may solve the arms race problem in bitcoin now and involve more people.

Build a PPLNS mining system into people's wallets might be the solution to your proposition.

Right.  The mining pool infrastructure is already built out and p2pool is also available for those who want to mine on their own node.  Reenabling CPU mining in the client would be fairly simple.  The problem is that it will take you 100 watts-hours to compute the same hashes as what a ASIC miner can compute in 1/100th of a watt-hour.
legendary
i think bitcoins main problem is too many people talking about and not enough spending it.

personally I just transfer my money into BTC and buy with that for most things I would have bought online anyway. I'm going to buy them anyway might as well do it with btc. This has the double impact of helping growth the BTC economy and also my BTC balance since most of the time I have to transfer in a little bit more than I need to make sure and cover transaction costs etc. I'll take the hit on transaction costs in exchange for adding to my balance and doing my small part to help BTC grow.

That's a good approach.  In some cases, it may even save you money to do this.  I've been eying buying a 16 GB RAM chip (my motherboard only has slots for two RAM chips), and the price of a 16 GB RAM chip on bitcoinstore.com is actually $40 cheaper than on Amazon.com.

Bitcoinstore has fantastic prices if you can find what you are looking for.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
aka 7Strykes
If you would like to make more people to have bitcoin, you can design a new method by using CPU only. and you can set the distribution method by sorting the whole hashing power and giving the people in different segmentation the same reward, which means, for example, to the top 5%  people they will enjoy the same reward.

I know bitcoin depends on finding the solution, but imagine the whole world is a mining pool. I am not a technical guy but I think this may solve the arms race problem in bitcoin now and involve more people.

Build a PPLNS mining system into people's wallets might be the solution to your proposition.
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
Bitcoin's economy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
i think bitcoins main problem is too many people talking about and not enough spending it.

personally I just transfer my money into BTC and buy with that for most things I would have bought online anyway. I'm going to buy them anyway might as well do it with btc. This has the double impact of helping growth the BTC economy and also my BTC balance since most of the time I have to transfer in a little bit more than I need to make sure and cover transaction costs etc. I'll take the hit on transaction costs in exchange for adding to my balance and doing my small part to help BTC grow.

That's a good approach.  In some cases, it may even save you money to do this.  I've been eying buying a 16 GB RAM chip (my motherboard only has slots for two RAM chips), and the price of a 16 GB RAM chip on bitcoinstore.com is actually $40 cheaper than on Amazon.com.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100

aka 7Strykes

For the actual amount of people using Bitcoin, there is a very extremely large amount of merchants accepting Bitcoin in comparison to the userbase. The main issue is mass adoption of Bitcoin. We need more people.
Activity: 182
aka 7Strykes
Activity: 126

You can earn bitcoins simply by providing goods or services which are valuable for other BTC owners.

If you want to take fiat out of equation, replace BTC owners with miners. (You can earn bitcoins simply by providing goods or services which are valuable for miners.) Then enlarge this set by everyone who sells something to the miners. Then enlarge this set by everyone who sells something to anyone mentioned in previous sentence. ... Repeat until you are happy.

Well said... concise and precise!

If you are still unhappy then I guess you ask and yearn for a system of some fair distribution of bitcoins not determined by individual egoisim and greed of above mentioned iteratively growing set (enlarged by people "rich" in fiat).

Or if you prefer the mothership, you start working on the vaccine against the GOLD 2.0 bug.

Activity: 475
Merit: 255
You can earn bitcoins simply by providing goods or services which are valuable for other BTC owners.
If you want to take fiat out of equation, replace BTC owners with miners. (You can earn bitcoins simply by providing goods or services which are valuable for miners.) Then enlarge this set by everyone who sells something to the miners. Then enlarge this set by everyone who sells something to anyone mentioned in previous sentence. ... Repeat until you are happy.
If you are still unhappy then I guess you ask and yearn for a system of some fair distribution of bitcoins not determined by individual egoisim and greed of above mentioned iteratively growing set (enlarged by people "rich" in fiat). I hope Bitcoin will never becomes such "fair" system, it will be its death.
What you ask for can be theoretically achieved by forking (cloning) Devcoin with "this time the right group of elites". If it can be indeed achieved practically in larger group than a community then Karel Marx was probably right.

Edit: Concerning your
script that judges how many shares something is worth, or if we need a script at all (Democratic voting)
No one have created a script, a program or even formulated an algorithm which would be able to judge worth of humans achievements. (Although philosophers are trying to formulate such principles for over 2000 years. And as cpt. Picard said, there is no greater challenge than study of philosophy. :-])
As for democratic voting... I always wonder that (most) people understand that two wolves and a sheep can not democratically vote "What is for dinner?". But they do not understand that a horde of starving poor (underpayed, exploited, dying children, fairly deserving, etc.) and one rich hoarder of wheat can not democratically vote "What is for dinner?" either.
(I wonder if they understand that ten thousand wolves and one sheep can not democratically vote either.)
Activity: 172
"How can someone be paid fairly for sold products without relying on trust and the word of the merchant?"

img host

+1
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
"How can someone be paid fairly for sold products without relying on trust and the word of the merchant?"

img host
legendary
I must have imagined those times I earned bitcoin for my labor.

I also assume you run your own business. Most, if not all of the Bitcoin you earned was bought with Fiat money. My argument encircles the topic of removing Fiat from the equation.

Actually, very little to none of the Bitcoin I have earned was bought with fiat money.  Most of the people I have worked for were early miners who are investing their proceeds into creating more services that utilize bitcoins.

The solution to not being able to earn Bitcoin is to go to the Marketplace subforum and offer your goods or services in exchange for Bitcoin.  Quit trying to fix it, it's not broken.  Some of us have been doing it for years.
Activity: 490
Yep, this is one of the main problems - if not the main problem.  (In my opinion, another big one that would deter non-techies is simply the size of the blockchain.  I run a full client and it took me three days to download it, and that's back when it was "only" 7 GB.  I know there are thin clients, but I don't think you can get the same functionality in Electrum as you can in Armory.)

As far as getting paid in bitcoin, there's already one company that pays its employees in bitcoin: the Internet Archive, archive.org.  According to their website, they offered this option to their employees and a third of them said yes.  Pretty substantial number, I'd say for a fairly new technology.  Maybe we should get some people to talk to them and see how they do it, if more companies could jump on the train of paying employees in bitcoins (if the employees are okay with it), it would definitely go a long way towards advancing the currency.

Activity: 634
Why do you disagree with my point? Provide some basis for your opinion. It is known that Bitcoin cannot be earned any other way other than mining.

You have conflated the term earning with generating. Basically you just said 'the only way to earn USD is to print it' which is obviously wrong.

and acquiring it will eventually become either more complex to near impossible, or very easy.

Why? What makes you think it won't just work like money?

I can provide more specific explanation if you have questions, but as far as I can tell you are missing some part of what Bitcoins actually are.
aka 7Strykes
I strongly disagree with you.

What you are describing is functionally impossible in practice, and if it was somehow successfully implemented I wouldn't want to touch Bitcoin with a ten foot pole.

Why do you disagree with my point? Provide some basis for your opinion. It is known that Bitcoin cannot be earned any other way other than mining, and acquiring it will eventually become either more complex to near impossible, or very easy. If it goes south, such a system has to be implemented. If you want $500 in Bitcoin, there would be a mountain of fees to pay just to purchase it. Or if you went the mining route, it would take months to get $500 worth of Bitcoin out of $500 worth of mining hardware.

I also assume you run your own business. Most, if not all of the Bitcoin you earned was bought with Fiat money. My argument encircles the topic of removing Fiat from the equation.

Also this. +1
legendary
I strongly disagree with you.

What you are describing is functionally impossible in practice, and if it was somehow successfully implemented I wouldn't want to touch Bitcoin with a ten foot pole.
Pages:
Jump to: