Pages:
Author

Topic: What if the Trezor server got compromised? - page 3. (Read 3267 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
January 11, 2015, 04:15:21 PM
The keys for signing transactions are stored on the trezor, not on an online server. The mytrezor page is only a software interface to access the device and the web never sees any actual private keys, only already signed transactions.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
January 11, 2015, 02:56:46 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+happens+if+the+SatoshiLabs+servers+are+hacked+and+the+firmware+signing+key+is+stolen&l=1

What happens if the SatoshiLabs servers are hacked and the firmware signing key is stolen?

First off, this won’t happen Wink. The SatoshiLabs master key is kept very safe. However, you don’t need to rely on the SatoshiLabs signature. You can verify the build yourself. Our hope is that a few trusted TREZOR users will make a habit of verifying firmware checksums. If you are concerned about this, we suggest making a habit of checking our blog or social news channels such as reddit before applying any updates. If there ever was a problem with the firmware not matching the source code, you can be sure someone will have written about it.

You don’t need to worry about the firmware being updated by a computer virus. Your TREZOR will ask you to manually confirm the update before anything is written to the TREZOR’s memory.
So you don't even need to ask, it's already answered Wink
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
January 11, 2015, 02:52:42 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+happens+if+the+SatoshiLabs+servers+are+hacked+and+the+firmware+signing+key+is+stolen&l=1

What happens if the SatoshiLabs servers are hacked and the firmware signing key is stolen?

First off, this won’t happen Wink. The SatoshiLabs master key is kept very safe. However, you don’t need to rely on the SatoshiLabs signature. You can verify the build yourself. Our hope is that a few trusted TREZOR users will make a habit of verifying firmware checksums. If you are concerned about this, we suggest making a habit of checking our blog or social news channels such as reddit before applying any updates. If there ever was a problem with the firmware not matching the source code, you can be sure someone will have written about it.

You don’t need to worry about the firmware being updated by a computer virus. Your TREZOR will ask you to manually confirm the update before anything is written to the TREZOR’s memory.
legendary
January 11, 2015, 02:50:55 PM
We need to be sure here. We don't want this to be the next Gox or Stamp.
Why not try mailing them and asking them directly? Smiley

Like if they will answer as it should be . they will be like every Client support you have ever seen Grin nothing bad will happen it's highly protected etc ... then BOOOM ! R.I.P
not trying to make anyone in Panic here , I'am just saying
I don't even know how Hardware wallets connect to the servers & stuff anyway Smiley
Then why not ask naming the security method/methods?
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
My goal is becaming a billionaire.
January 11, 2015, 02:49:04 PM

Like if they will answer as it should be . they will be like every Client support you have ever seen Grin nothing bad will happen it's highly protected etc ... then BOOOM ! R.I.P
not trying to make anyone in Panic here , I'am just saying
I don't even know how Hardware wallets connect to the servers & stuff anyway Smiley
legendary
January 11, 2015, 02:47:08 PM
Activity: 812
Merit: 509
January 11, 2015, 02:38:54 PM
legendary
January 11, 2015, 02:36:36 PM
Are we not putting too much trust into a company here? What if their signing keys get compromised?
I doubt it's stored in plain text.
Activity: 812
Merit: 509
January 11, 2015, 02:24:48 PM
Are we not putting too much trust into a company here? What if their signing keys get compromised?
Pages:
Jump to: