Pages:
Author

Topic: What if USD collapses and they issue new currency. - page 2. (Read 3506 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Caveat Emptor
What if USD collapses and they issue new currency?

The bitcoin forum rejoices and points the all knowing finger and says.......See? I guess you should listened to us afterall  Grin. Then its, wanna buy some of our "cash" for gold from your fort knox building haha oh go on, you know you want to america.

People will start buying up the old bills for shits and giggles liike theyre doing with the trillion dollar bills, novelty effect.

Doomsday rolls around and the nutjobs who all have hoarded everything will race to mine the last of the coins and spend them on the new post apocalyptic silk road looking for plutonium 239 to power their rigs for mining alternate coins  Roll Eyes

In reality?

Probs a week or two of severe riots because the average joe is a moron and will think that he has to loot the bejesus out of his neighborhood because there is "no more money".

Currency usually fails around the half century mark if it is going that way. Dont quote me on this though as im not sure where im remembering this info from. Maybe it an old fiat documentary or ron paul video from youtube??
Activity: 788
Merit: 1001
In Brazil, the salary does not follow the real(and $Real) inflation in the past 20 years. So you need to work more and more (overtime) to buy the same things .
You acquisition power is going to the hole.

The country is growing up only by the credit and debit.
To buy a car/house/motorcycle/mountain bike/blender/steamer/pan you need credit card to parcel.
The house prices soared, something like 300%+ due to gov credit in 4 years.
Everyone is smiling.

But inflation/taxes is eating us alive and no one is seeing.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
When inflation happens you get a rise in the amount of money you have and things will seem better for a little while but then when you look at things like gold and silver you'll realise you're completely fucked, it's happening with the UK now, I see the conservatives boasting about how much they're going to get the deficit down but I still see debt and I still see lots and lots of printing. Just wait until the prices start rising again and it will be like 2008 except worse.

The only question is how long they'll be able to keep it up and how long the rest of the world is going to go along with it.
Activity: 788
Merit: 1001
"The 'bathroom box' door says: While you're shitting, F E D is printing more money.  "

How many years USD paper have before collapsing? 3? 4?
The prices are growing up there in US, right?  Gas, Hamburguer etc
Or I'm wrong? So the USD 'value' is decreasing.

If bitcoin price continues to follow USD in this ~$10 wall, the bitcoin price will decrease in the next years following USD...

The  FED "Operation Twist" is a BIG trap.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
history is littered full of currency crisis. the average age of a currency is 30-40 years. people always resort to whatever is stable at the time of collapse.
will bitcoin be stable?

Since stability of a currency derives from the currency's properties, and Bitcoin is non-inflationary and non-centrally-controllable, I would put some solid money on the hypothesis that Bitcoin will be more stable than other currencies.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
history is littered full of currency crisis. the average age of a currency is 30-40 years. people always resort to whatever is stable at the time of collapse.
will bitcoin be stable?
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Why bother changing the name and hiring people to do new artwork? That would be unnecessary extravagance in these tough times. Grin

It's all about perception.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
If USD collapsed I'm sure my bitcoin balance would be the least of my worries.

This.

Seems BTC is still just digits of electricity.  Now if the new currency is gold, would not BTC collapse as we don't need BTC anymore.  The only value would be ease of transactions.

Internet transactions all over the world. Thats not "only"...
How will you send your friend a real piece of gold or shop on Amazon with gold?
Would you rather go around carrying gold in your pockets or Bitcoins that only you can access?

Bitcoin are:

...Sending value all over the world 24/7. Thats never out of fashion.
...No chargebacks. Its allways useful.
...Is being in total control of your own digital currency, being in total control of your own things will never be out of fashion.
...Privacy, privacy is allways useful and valued, its not a trend.
...Cheap transactions, cheap transactions is not a trend it will allways be better than expensive transactions.

Bitcoin is freedom, freedom will never be out of fashion.
Bitcoin and or any other cryptocurrency is here to stay.

And this.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Seems BTC is still just digits of electricity.  Now if the new currency is gold, would not BTC collapse as we don't need BTC anymore.  The only value would be ease of transactions.

The currency would very unlikely be gold. That has high transaction and storage cost and such. You can't just mail your taxes to the government in gold. It might be some currency backed by gold, but that carries 3rd party risk, which bitcoin doesn't.

Bitcoin is like gold (scarce, no third-party risk, fungible, divisible, etc...), except the transaction and storage cost are way lower (even lower than with fiat currencies).

Bitcoin is "liquid digital gold".

And no, it's not tangible, because liquid gold is just too hot!
Activity: 523
Seems BTC is still just digits of electricity.  Now if the new currency is gold, would not BTC collapse as we don't need BTC anymore.  The only value would be ease of transactions.

Internet transactions all over the world. Thats not "only"...
How will you send your friend a real piece of gold or shop on Amazon with gold?
Would you rather go around carrying gold in your pockets or Bitcoins that only you can access?

Bitcoin are:

...Sending value all over the world 24/7. Thats never out of fashion.
...No chargebacks. Its allways useful.
...Is being in total control of your own digital currency, being in total control of your own things will never be out of fashion.
...Privacy, privacy is allways useful and valued, its not a trend.
...Cheap transactions, cheap transactions is not a trend it will allways be better than expensive transactions.

Bitcoin is freedom, freedom will never be out of fashion.
Bitcoin and or any other cryptocurrency is here to stay.

Activity: 686
Shame on everything; regret nothing.

Not complete -- The decentralization is of utmost importance, because it prevents central control by any authority that would wish to corrupt it.  The usual argument I hear against this point is, "What if someone accumulates => 51% of hashing power?  or What if someone buys out the network? or ... accumulates most of the BTC?"  None of those arguments hold any soundness; the concept of decentralized cryptocurrency has been formally proven possible in practice and some other instantiation would replace Bitcoin in this case.
Another important fundamental concept of Bitcoin and the cryptocurrency concept in general is the proof of work done by the hashing algorithm, which prevents counterfeiting and more-than-once spending of units.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
The case for bitcoins would be a bit weaker, but it'd still be pretty strong. First, other countries would still have crappy currencies. Second, Bitcoins can be cheaply and instantly transported around the world without having to ask anyone for permission.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
If USD collapsed I'm sure my bitcoin balance would be the least of my worries.
Activity: 574
Bitcoin doesn't rely on USD,
Activity: 717
Merit: 501
Pages:
Jump to: