Pages:
Author

Topic: What influenced your political/religious views? - page 2. (Read 2678 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
And to my surprise, I found that church…

I didn't come to religion because of belief or faith…

I found it with knowledge.

And surprisingly, the church is based on knowledge…

Hos_4:1 Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.

Rom_2:20 An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.

1Ti_2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

2Ti_3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Heb_10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

funny isn't it, it's not about faith or belief, it's about knowledge.
Religion, I was an atheist, when I was very young I figured out that Christians didn't do what the Bible said, and I thought the best way to go after them was to know the Scriptures better than they did, in essence fight fire with fire… And over the years I've watched as a lot of atheist just belittle and ridicule Christians, but do it with no knowledge of the Scriptures and very simply that Christians do not pay attention to it… You actually have to argue the point with more knowledge, get them to question their faith by showing them where their faith is wrong… But as I was going through the Scriptures I kept finding little things that after a while, my thought was well the church that was described in the Scriptures either existed or did not and it was provable, there would be a church that did the things as described or the whole thing was a lie…
I was a liberal, voted for Jimmy Carter, voted for Teddy Kennedy against Carter… Couldn't vote for Reagan… But Reagan impressed me because he was a leader… But as I've said before what really changed my mind was when I had my first black girlfriend and how my wonderful liberal friends treated her and I… I learned don't listen to a liberals words, watch what they do… They didn't want me to bring her to parties or to their house and the few conservative friends I had didn't care, treated her with respect. And over the years, the most racist people I've ever met are liberals, yet after their rants, they always have to point out that they aren't really racist…
Activity: 364
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

Churchill     Wink
Activity: 364
My conversion to conservatism was the result of taking an economics class in college and realizing I was on the losing end of every argument of every issue with my conservative hubby .   

In short, like most folks I grew up when the follies of liberalism became self evident.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Most of us define ourselves as left or right or somewhere in-between. Some people start out as one thing and eventually become the other. Many things can influence our political identity such as our parents, our education and our life experiences.

In my case my mother is an conservative and my father a liberal. I took after my father and my sister took after our mother. I was raised Catholic and became an Atheist. My sister remains a Catholic. Needless to say there are some pretty interesting and heated discussions that take place when we are all together.

My education played a part as well. I became a liberal when I was quite young but remained a believer until I was in college. I feel higher education freed me from the chains of religion and I consider my atheism as part of my political identity as many theists consider their religion as part of their political being.

My life experiences have taught me that conservative politics and religion [especially when they are mixed] are harmful to humanity in general and deadly in cases such as religious wars. For me at least liberalism offers a much more humane and decent world than conservatism offers. Others of course have different views. What are yours on the subject? What was the largest influence on your political/religious views? Care to discuss it?
Pages:
Jump to: