Pages:
Author

Topic: What is **actually** going on with Coinlenders? Open discussion - page 2. (Read 2512 times)

vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
No, it makes no difference whatsoever.
It is actions that matter, not what you call them.
It might make people less likely to notice what he is doing though.
When the action is about wording and how it is presented / marketed..
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Now, does anyone know if that will really protect him legally?

No, it makes no difference whatsoever.
It is actions that matter, not what you call them.
It might make people less likely to notice what he is doing though.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
Now, does anyone know if that will really protect him legally? I ask out of curiosity and because it could be instructional. To my understanding, the government doesn't even acknowledge such defenses ("It wasn't prostitution! I only paid her for her company, not for sex!"), at least in the US. So if you're gonna be on the wrong side of the law, wouldn't it be better to just be clear with your customers?

I'm actually not a coinlenders user (though I was thinking about it), but I do use inputs.io and this development worried me a bit--enough to panic withdraw my coins. That's why I was hoping for some answers, so I could allay some of my worries and go back to inputs cause I really like it.

That's a totally different comparison. There's no expectation of profit on the demo instance, and it is not an common enterprise.

It's true that calling interest "fee rebates" has no purpose. However, there's already a precedent that the changes were based on - SEC v. SG, Ltd., 265 F.3d 42, 45.

When the "crime" is about how something is presented and marketed, then yes "word games" makes a difference.
GOB
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Come on!
It seems that nothing really changed in fact.

Ok, so option 2  Smiley

Now, does anyone know if that will really protect him legally? I ask out of curiosity and because it could be instructional. To my understanding, the government doesn't even acknowledge such defenses ("It wasn't prostitution! I only paid her for her company, not for sex!"), at least in the US. So if you're gonna be on the wrong side of the law, wouldn't it be better to just be clear with your customers?

I'm actually not a coinlenders user (though I was thinking about it), but I do use inputs.io and this development worried me a bit--enough to panic withdraw my coins. That's why I was hoping for some answers, so I could allay some of my worries and go back to inputs cause I really like it.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
It seems that nothing really changed in fact.
GOB
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Come on!
The old Coinlenders thread has been closed and the new one doesn't have much for real answers (if one of the following theories is correct, I can see why TF is not answering definitively), so I wanted to throw this out there for discussion. Which of the following is the case?

1) TradeFortress determined the Coinlenders concept was putting him in legal risk and really shut it down.

2) TradeFortress determined promoting Coinlenders put him in legal risk so he changed "interest" to "fee rebates" and now his site to a "demo" (but one that still works, i.e. you can get your BTC out, in, earn, etc.).

Now,

If (1) is true, what happened to people's deposits and the loans that were outstanding? Are people losing their BTC? What does this mean for inputs.io? Are inputs users in danger of losing their BTC?

If (2) is true, does it really change anything? Wouldn't he be in the same legal risk? I can understand if TradeFortress doesn't want to go on the record clearing this up definitively, that's why I created this thread.
Pages:
Jump to: