Pages:
Author

Topic: What is average cost of electricity for miners? - page 2. (Read 3276 times)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100
In India, it's layered pricing - you pay less/kw if you are using it at home. For mining purposes  this will mostly cross the limits and you might have to pay around Rs 6.25 = $0.1 if you are in Karnataka state.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/electricity-cost-across-all-states-653588
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
When I was at CoinSummit a few months ago I met an energy investor who told me that there are certain areas in the Texas panhandle that have so much excess power generation that they will pay you to take energy off the grid during low consumption periods. While I have not been able to independently verify that assertion, it's not far-fetched. In the United States there are three separate energy grids. The breakdown is basically:

• East of the Mississippi River
  • West of the Mississippi River
  • Texas

That's right, Texas has it's own energy grid. While Californians were suffering from rolling blackouts due to artificial power shortages produced by Enron back in 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis), Texas was actually pumping excess power directly into the ground because the power grids are independent. Texas could have provided the west coast power grid with additional resources, but they had no reason to: The shortage was artificial and who's got the incentive to pay Texas to relieve an artificial power shortage? Certainly not Enron.

I also met the CEO of CloudHashing and he confirmed that the impetus behind building one of his mining farms in Texas was the strength of the power grid and the price of electricity.

In general, in the US, the closer you are to the center of a major metropolitan area, the higher the price will be for electricity. Rates vary according to demand though. In the middle of summer when everybody has their A/C cranked, electricity is far more expensive than in the dead of winter. In Indianapolis I pay between USD 0.07 and 0.11 per kWh depending on the demand. This is coal country...something like 80% of my power comes from blasting the tops off of Appalachian mountains and burning the coal inside. But it's okay, according AES it's "clean coal."
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
Eastern Washington State 3hrs from seattle in Chelan County and I pay 0.027kwh.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
SE Europe, 7 cents per kwh.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I'm in the Pacific Northwest (About 30 minutes north of Seattle). PUD charges us $0.094/kW/h for electricity. I've heard they're getting rates somewhere in the area of $0.05-0.06/kW/h over in Eastern WA.
Activity: 462
Merit: 262
Holland $0.32 kwh
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
5 cents a k watt is possible in the northwest.

the northeast is bad 14-16 cents.

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
In New York it's about 15 cents per kWh. Pacific Northwest (especially Washington state) have really cheap electricity in many places, though.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
I'm located in Canada, and I'm paying about 12 cents per kWhr.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
I have never heard of electric that cheap. Here in North Carolina I pay about .09cents per kw I believe it is because much of our energy comes from nuclear power. When I lived in New York it was significantly more as the residents were afraid of nuclear power.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
vini, vedi, no vici.
I've heard somewhere in Great County, USA miners have access to very cheap electricity from Hydroelectricity priced around 2 cents/Kwh. I don't know whether its true or not. I can't believe that somewhere in USA, we've electricity so cheap.

Next, in general what is cost of electricity that miners are paying in majority of countries(USA,Canada, Europe, China)?

c. 0 to 0.05 kwh
b. 0.05- 0.1 Kwh
c. 0.1-0.2 kwh
d 0.2-0.3 kwh

If you know rates in your country  then please, I'd like to know more to find best place for mining.
We've in order or 0.1-0.2 kwh. Is it competitive?
Pages:
Jump to: