Pages:
Author

Topic: What is Coin Burning - page 2. (Read 2440 times)

legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn
November 23, 2017, 05:05:03 PM
Coin burning is actually called proof of burn. Proof of burn is a protocol used by various altcoins to reduce the current available supply, whereby a specific portion of coins in circulation is sent to a wallet no one has access to (This is mainly used in ICOs). This  eliminates these coins from being spendable, although they will remain to be a part of all of the existing coins ever to be generated. Proof of Burn transactions are also recorded on that cryptocurrency’s blockchain, providing  proof that the coins would never be used to transact again.
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
November 23, 2017, 02:24:59 PM
I don't really see why people would use this in bitcoin
There are some coins that do a "Proof of Burn" where you must burn Bitcoin in order to mine (or something like that) on the altcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
November 23, 2017, 12:19:55 PM
Can someone explain what is coin burning and what is the purpose of it?

It means you sent bitcoin to a bitcoin adress that has no known private key. Which means they will be "burned" / go to waste.

I don't really see why people would use this in bitcoin, but  i know that some altcoin developers have done this to reduce the amount of coins in circulation

As to how to make a bitcoin vanity burner adress, use the answer on this question, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1851/how-to-generate-a-valid-bitcoin-address-for-destroying-bitcoins

Might be a bit outdated but it should still work.
Activity: 406
Merit: 11
November 23, 2017, 12:02:25 PM
Can someone explain what is coin burning and what is the purpose of it?
Pages:
Jump to: