Pages:
Author

Topic: What is the best method to store gold/silver/precious metals/jewels/etc - page 2. (Read 944 times)

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306
OK, well I'd say if you don't have any victims to pay then you're
probably safe from the feds. 

You could also bury it.  I saw a video of a guy burying a hoard of
nickels in some PVC pipes back when the melt value was over
$0.10 per nickel.  Thieves probably wouldn't find something like
that but law enforcement might. 
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
Why do you say confiscation of PM by law enforcement is
on the rise?  I haven't read anything.  You talking about in a
specific country?

The idea of police confiscations being on the rise comes from statistics over the last few years like this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/23/cops-took-more-stuff-from-people-than-burglars-did-last-year/

This is only confirmed in the united states (sorry can't say I keep up with everything happening in foreign countries) although the impression I get is this is happening everywhere.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 306
Why do you say confiscation of PM by law enforcement is
on the rise?  I haven't read anything.  You talking about in a
specific country?

I have mostly silver, of the junk 90% variety, so storage isn't an
issue as far as keeping the coins from toning.  I don't do anything
special for security.  If you have a lot, may I suggest using a
decoy safe or a container that doesn't look like it should hold
anything valuable.  It's either a safe or in a safe deposit box,
and for that you have to trust banks.  I do not.
Activity: 530
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Store them in your house in a discreet area like a crawlspace and get a decent safe which cannot be easily removed and they will be quite safe.
Activity: 980
Merit: 507
I know some of the regular posters in this section are pro gold.

Probably one of the biggest obstacles to people investing is gold is not knowing where or how to store it to ensure safety.

What is the best method of storing gold/silver? Would you recommend keeping it in a personal safe? A safety deposit box at a bank? Burying it in the ground somewhere late at night where no one will ever find it pirate style?

Also what insurance options are there? Do banks insure safety deposit boxes past $100k?

Law enforcement confiscating money/precious items seems to be on the rise. Are there any tips for avoiding having gold/silver confiscated?

I would be interested to hear thoughts on this as it could represent one area where gold/silver might be considered less preferable to crypto.
The reason why one's money usually gets confiscated is because he doesn't pay his tax or he is a criminal.
One way in which crypto is better than gold and silver is intangiblitiy, that is you don't need to have a special big safes for storing crypto.  Another thing is that you don't want your gold confiscated, the government will surely not confiscate your crypto,so here you don't have to worry.
But if you want to go for gold/silver ,go for it and secure it in a locker of your own or of that of a bank and you pay the taxes, then you don't have to worry about your gold being confiscated.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
I know some of the regular posters in this section are pro gold.

Probably one of the biggest obstacles to people investing is gold is not knowing where or how to store it to ensure safety.

What is the best method of storing gold/silver? Would you recommend keeping it in a personal safe? A safety deposit box at a bank? Burying it in the ground somewhere late at night where no one will ever find it pirate style?

Also what insurance options are there? Do banks insure safety deposit boxes past $100k?

Law enforcement confiscating money/precious items seems to be on the rise. Are there any tips for avoiding having gold/silver confiscated?

I would be interested to hear thoughts on this as it could represent one area where gold/silver might be considered less preferable to crypto.
Pages:
Jump to: