Pages:
Author

Topic: What is the purpose of signatures? - page 3. (Read 2247 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
January 12, 2017, 04:48:17 PM
I understand that people have varying agreement on the negative aspects of signatures, but can someone tell me any positives?

Self-expression is not really necessary to be seen every time you post. If you have something interesting then it can be posted in your profile.

A quick pros vs cons makes me wonder why signatures still exist here.

Not sure what exactly your problem is with signatures per se. Wana elaborate?

#1 more room than in your profile
#2 better visibility than in your profile
#3 area where ref links are allowed
#4 allows formatting and/or colors depending on your rank

My problem is that it's just advertising space. The downsides of moving it to the profile would be heavily outweighed by the benefits of increased forum post quality.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
January 05, 2017, 10:38:17 PM
(...)
^ I agree

Hey,

Signatures are cool Smiley spammers aren't. But it's not sig fault Smiley
Leave the sig alone! Smiley

Same knife can help you to prepare your food - same knife can kill somebody.

Best regards.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.
January 05, 2017, 02:45:48 AM
I understand that people have varying agreement on the negative aspects of signatures, but can someone tell me any positives?

Self-expression is not really necessary to be seen every time you post. If you have something interesting then it can be posted in your profile.

Not sure what exactly your problem is with signatures per se. Wana elaborate?

copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510
Spear the bees
January 05, 2017, 01:40:38 AM
My argument would have been that users could post links to interesting discussions and threads that they enjoy/started that are of importance/substance but then we run into the problem where BCT has a minuscule number of people who would advertise them, and an even smaller amount of threads to be shown.

The profile is also not spacious enough unless the signature were replaced with a "bio" section and personal text does not support bbcode like the signature, though this is hardly an arguing point.

If anyone is able to come up with definitive positives then that would be great, but even I have to agree that it's difficult to find any. Preferably without involving signature campaigns in it - we all know the problems involved with them.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
January 04, 2017, 11:59:54 PM

Pages:
Jump to: