Pages:
Author

Topic: What is the "Request Payment" button for? - page 2. (Read 1011 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
October 11, 2017, 01:43:34 PM
Thank you Danny.

So If I have this right it may be possible to recover these amounts.

That depends on what you did.

Do you know if the Jaxx wallet is able to understand a payment request link like this?

The link won't help you recover anything.

The link is just a way to ask for a payment.

If you have a Jaxx wallet, and the Jaxx wallet has bitcoins, then you can send them without the link. Just enter into the Jaxx wallet the amount of bitcoins that you want to send, and the address that you want to send them to.

If you don't have a Jaxx wallet, or your Jaxx wallet doesn't have bitcoins, then the link isn't going to magically put bitcoins into the Jaxx wallet for it to send to you.

You haven't explained yet how you "lost" the bitcoins, so it isn't possible to explain to you if you can recover them or how.

Well, I suppose I knew it couldn't be that easy!   Grin

Okay, here's the story as simply as I can describe it.

1) Installed Jaxx wallet on Android.
2) Wrote down seed phrase
3) Sent various amounts to that wallet from Coinbase and ABRA.  All showed fine.
4) Installed pc version of Jaxx and tried to pair wallets.  Didn't work for some reason so I just let it be since the Android worked fine.
4) Was given a small amount of BTC by joining a crypto newsletter.  Tried sending that to the pc wallet and it worked.
5) Then tried again to pair the wallets.
6) Result: ALL BTC disappeared from the Android.  Only the small amount was left on the pc version.

I'm 100% positive that the seed phrase I wrote down is the same seed phrase I received when opening the Android wallet.
Since I only tried to pair the pc version I did not get a seed phrase with the desktop version.

Whatever everyone tells me is that I must have received a second seed phrase.  Secondly, I did the pairing wrong and the PC overrode the Android.  And finally, without that other seed phrase the Android BTC is gone.

There you have it.         

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
October 11, 2017, 01:28:47 PM
Thank you Danny.

That depends on what you did.

Do you know if the Jaxx wallet is able to understand a payment request link like this?

The link won't help you recover anything.

The link is just a way to ask for a payment.

If you have a Jaxx wallet, and the Jaxx wallet has bitcoins, then you can send them without the link. Just enter into the Jaxx wallet the amount of bitcoins that you want to send, and the address that you want to send them to.

If you don't have a Jaxx wallet, or your Jaxx wallet doesn't have bitcoins, then the link isn't going to magically put bitcoins into the Jaxx wallet for it to send to you.

You haven't explained yet how you "lost" the bitcoins, so it isn't possible to explain to you if you can recover them or how.
October 11, 2017, 01:11:57 PM
There is also a button called "request payment".   
What are the uses of that button?

It builds a web URL that can be used given to others to request a payment from them to that address.

So, for example, if the address 19DDGqeyWhXNegTLPtqgv4F5WzpA92kVSL was an address from your wallet, you could view that address on the blockchain.info website and click the "request payment" button.

Then you could fill out the form that pops up.

If you enter 0.01 into the BTC field to request a payment of 0.01 BTC, and "Demonstration" into the Description field, then it will generate the following URL (link) for you:

https://blockchain.info/payment_request?address=19DDGqeyWhXNegTLPtqgv4F5WzpA92kVSL&message=Demonstration&amount=0.01

Wallets that are able to understand payment request links will then create a transaction sending 0.01 BTC to 19DDGqeyWhXNegTLPtqgv4F5WzpA92kVSL whenever anyone clicks on that link.

Thank you Danny.

Do you know if the Jaxx wallet is able to understand a payment request link like this?  Should I check with them first before attempting to do this?

Thanks again!
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
October 11, 2017, 01:03:58 PM

It builds a web URL that can be given to others to request a payment from them to that address.

So, for example, if the address 19DDGqeyWhXNegTLPtqgv4F5WzpA92kVSL was an address from your wallet, you could view that address on the blockchain.info website and click the "request payment" button.

Then you could fill out the form that pops up.

If you enter 0.01 into the BTC field to request a payment of 0.01 BTC, and "Demonstration" into the Description field, then it will generate the following URL (link) for you:

https://blockchain.info/payment_request?address=19DDGqeyWhXNegTLPtqgv4F5WzpA92kVSL&message=Demonstration&amount=0.01

Wallets that are able to understand payment request links will then create a transaction sending 0.01 BTC to 19DDGqeyWhXNegTLPtqgv4F5WzpA92kVSL whenever anyone clicks on that link.
October 11, 2017, 12:25:26 PM
Short story.
I lost over 1 BTC when pairing Jaxx wallets.  Won't get into the details right here unless someone needs to know.
In any event, I can follow those transaction via the addresses:  Coinbase to Jaxx and ABRA to Jaxx.
When I plug those in on blockchain.info the transactions are there and the sent amount is the same as the final balance amount.
Pages:
Jump to: