Pages:
Author

Topic: What is the right and fair way to stop Mike Hearn? - page 12. (Read 14041 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
You're welcome to implement the non-broken OpenPGP code, or fund someone to do so for you. I'd be happy to manage such an effort if the community wants to fund it and can find some developers - I've written extensively on how to do it elsewhere.
Is this a joke? How many millions did this foundation ripped of the community in member fees?
Why do we have to pay for development? This is absurd.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150
You can't the core is already too powerful, they want that way. Why do you think they only have one developer working on the blockchain is too big and needs to be prune problem? Cause they want to keep it big so other people don't use it, they can make bitcoin centralize. Money and power corrupt it is no different in the bitcoin world.

Oh, I didn't realize I was the only person working on that problem. Mind telling me who "they" are so I can ask for my paycheck? Thanks.

(fwiw litecoin hired me to implement or sub-contract someone else to implement pruning of some kind in a fairly open-ended contract)

Yet in less than 6 months they have push thru a payment protocol that they know is broken and uses central authorities.

You're welcome to implement the non-broken OpenPGP code, or fund someone to do so for you. I'd be happy to manage such an effort if the community wants to fund it and can find some developers - I've written extensively on how to do it elsewhere.

tl;dr: talk is cheap.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Here's a good start: why not make the argument in this thread, right here and now, as to what is so "out of line" about "Mike's actions" that the community ought to reject him/his work?
I think this not right or misleading.

Who can really reject his patches? Only Gavin, right? Gavin won't reject his patches because they are buddies ...

That's why people are asking for a different way to stop Hearns involvement.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
I think Mike Hearn is way out of line with all his actions.

What is the correct and fair way to remove Mike Hearn from the Bitcoin development?

Can this be done by community vote?

Can this be done by developer vote?

I have nothing against this person and he can develop "bitcoinj" all he want's and stay a Bitcoin expert (at NSA and Circle or in the media). But he should not be part of the core Bitcoin client developtment.

You can't the core is already too powerful, they want that way. Why do you think they only have one developer working on the blockchain is too big and needs to be prune problem? Cause they want to keep it big so other people don't use it, they can make bitcoin centralize. Money and power corrupt it is no different in the bitcoin world.

Yet in less than 6 months they have push thru a payment protocol that they know is broken and uses central authorities.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
Qoheleth/everbody:
I think he is out of line, pushing for blacklisting.
I think he is out of line, pushing for SSL as part of this payment protocol.
I think he way is out of line, trying to force everybody to proof their identity by verifying their passport.
These are just some proposed solutions to the known problems (he is not pushing anything). If you know better solutions, please share, so that we will be able to choose the best solution available.
legendary
Thank you Peter, so he did only 9 commits. Kinda strange or misleading to call himself bitcoin core developer then.
To give some explanation, I watched his London video and what he says there was finally enough for me.

There is a good discussion under: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mike-hearn-london-2014-video-presentation-428777

Qoheleth/everbody:
I think he way is out of line, trying to force everybody to proof their identity by verifying their passport.

You're missing my point. Those 9 commits aren't why some people call Mike a core developer just as much as my 19 commits aren't why some people call me one - our contributions are to things other than some central repository of code.

Thus, there's no authority on who is or isn't a "core" developer beyond "people believe you are" - so if you don't like Mike's influence do something with more influence. This thread isn't one of those things.
Activity: 98
Thank you Peter, so he did only 9 commits. Kinda strange or misleading to call himself bitcoin core developer then.
To give some explanation, I watched his London video and what he says there was finally enough for me.

There is a good discussion under: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mike-hearn-london-2014-video-presentation-428777

Qoheleth/everbody:

This is against Satoshis and all earlier crypto-hackers spirit, ideas and dreams.

legendary
Activity: 960
Merit: 1028
Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.
What is the correct and fair way to remove Mike Hearn from the Bitcoin development?
If you mean bitcoind development, it would be by convincing the other developers to no longer accept his patches, and convincing the community to not use his patches either. The critical matter, as always, is one of trust.

Here's a good start: why not make the argument in this thread, right here and now, as to what is so "out of line" about "Mike's actions" that the community ought to reject him/his work?
legendary
Incidentally:

pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Mike\ Hearn | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Peter\ Todd | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Gregory\ Maxwell | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Pieter\ Wuille | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Gavin\ Andresen | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep 'Wladimir J. van der Laan' | wc -l

Whether or not you're a "core" developer is a social statement about how much other people respect your work and opinions. If you don't like Mike's work, do some of your own in a different direction that other people respect. It doesn't have to necessarily be code, but calls for a community vote from a guy with twenty-something posts isn't it either.
legendary
Bitcoin is a decentralized system.

If you don't like the work Mike does, don't use it! If you don't like the direction he's going with that work, write some code yourself that goes in a different direction. If you don't like where "core" Bitcoin client development is "going", go to http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin and hit the "Fork" button and convince other people to join your development effort.

You people seriously misunderstand how Bitcoin works...
Activity: 98
I think Mike Hearn is way out of line with all his actions.

Can this be done by community vote?

Can this be done by developer vote?

I have nothing against this person and he can develop "bitcoinj" all he want's and stay a Bitcoin expert (at NSA and Circle or in the media). But he should not be part of the core Bitcoin client developtment.
Pages:
Jump to: