Pages:
Author

Topic: What kind of software should beginners know? - page 2. (Read 324 times)

mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
Screw software to begin with — what you need at the start is education. You can have a hardware wallet and the most secure devices in the world but you'd still end up screwed if you know what you're doing. If the person understands security risks a decent amount already, he/she would know the important software needed.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
There was this list of VPN's that sell your data.  It included VPN's that supposedly do not.  Many of the popular ones collect, analyze and sell your data.  I would not use VPN's because it seems like a false impression of having privacy.  Maybe the only situation in which I see them useful is for local websites that deny access to Tor nodes.  But otherwise, Tor all the way.

I know that, although I don't know the list of them (not that it would matter much yet). I've used TOR, I didn't use VPN. I don't see real benefits in using VPN, but I may be missing something and that's why I'd like more info in this.

Is an anti virus truly safe?  Do they not scan computer files?  If yes, does my wallet.dat file not get scanned in the process?  Sure, you can add the Bitcoin folder to the list of exceptions.  But still, the popular and best anti viruses are closed source.  I do not trust them.

They do scan files; some scan only known executable files, for some you can set only certain extensions, or set folders to not be scanned, some will scan all. And most will also sell all the data they can.
It's one of the reasons I use hardware wallet.

You can also use Tails for broadcasting transactions.

You can indeed use Tails. Imho a better use for Tails would be for cold storage (obviously offline) and keep a watch only wallet on your main online PC (and broadcast from there).
But setting up persistence in Tails is not for everybody; also some don't trust Electrum that comes bundled into Tails because you cannot really verify it. But overall I do like to have a Tails stick around; last time I've used it it also had TOR by default iirc.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1735
Crypto Swap Exchange
In the context of anti-virus, also the possible benefit of having a separate Linux (partition, VM or WSL) only for transactions could be part of discussion.
You can also use Tails for broadcasting transactions.  But I would like an input from someone who knows more and better than I do.  Is an anti virus truly safe?  Do they not scan computer files?  If yes, does my wallet.dat file not get scanned in the process?  Sure, you can add the Bitcoin folder to the list of exceptions.  But still, the popular and best anti viruses are closed source.  I do not trust them.

And I would also like to see a discussion about VPN - which worth using and why - and a comparison(?) between VPN, TOR and use of proxies (free/hacked or not).
There was this list of VPN's that sell your data.  It included VPN's that supposedly do not.  Many of the popular ones collect, analyze and sell your data.  I would not use VPN's because it seems like a false impression of having privacy.  Maybe the only situation in which I see them useful is for local websites that deny access to Tor nodes.  But otherwise, Tor all the way.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
VPN
Anti-virus software

While these are not directly Bitcoin related, I do see benefits in telling more about them (or at least some of them) to the world. However, please do some research on the forum to avoid duplication; because there were discussions at least about Password managers and 2FA apps, but I don't know if a proper presentation/comparison was done.

In the context of anti-virus, also the possible benefit of having a separate Linux (partition, VM or WSL) only for transactions could be part of discussion.
And I would also like to see a discussion about VPN - which worth using and why - and a comparison(?) between VPN, TOR and use of proxies (free/hacked or not).
copper member
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1256
Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph
If you have met with someone who is not tech-savvy and is having a hard time in the cryptocurrency space and all the cold wallet/hot wallet and private critical stuff that everyone will encounter. What is the software that will help protect from hacks, privacy, clean, and many more, that would be useful for non-tech savvy users and somewhat "teachable" stuff to them?

The software that I think would be useful for beginners/non-tech savvy users
  • VPN
  • Password Manager
  • Anti-virus software
  • Two-Factor Authentication app

I'm not really sure but maybe this could help some other people or something.
Pages:
Jump to: