Pages:
Author

Topic: What languages do I need for blockchain programming? - page 2. (Read 659 times)

Activity: 279
Merit: 435
In no way am I confused, by blockchain programming I mean I want to program a blockchain. I’m not asking what a blockchain is as I’ve known for a long while, I want to be able to build custom blockchain solutions. Meaning I want to be able to program and run a blockchain, block explorer, wallet, and cryptocurrency. With this I’m sure I could work on established networks as well and I plan to learn solidity for smart contract programming.
Ok, so what do you mean by "program a blockchain" ? You don't want to build/use a network ? What is a custom blockchain solution ? An application using a network like Bitcoin ?

Meaning I want to be able to program and run a blockchain, block explorer, wallet, and cryptocurrency.
In order to do so you need a network, and it seems pretty close to what Bitcoin is.
Activity: 137
Merit: 3
I am trying to get into blockchain programming from having no programming experience, right now I am slowly learning C++, once I feel a little comfortable with it I am going to start learning blockchain development from courses regardless of the languages they use (which shouldn't be a problem because learning C++ is to give me the knowledge of programming in general and to apply C++ as well). But I see all of these different githubs and courses that use javascript and javascript derived languages (node.js, react.js, etc), those that use c++, those that use python, those that use GO, and I am at a loss. What should I learn exactly? Do I need to know all of these languages for not too complex blockchain applications?

My plan was to just learn c++ and then start studying the blockchain programming while learning the syntax of other languages as I need them, but how can you make a blockchain, cryptocurrency, explorer, wallet, etc utilizing all of the languages above? Do I need to?
Hi,

I do think that learning C/C++ as the first language is the best way to start. By being able to read C++ you can read the whole bitcoin-core code which is, I think, what you mean by "blockchain programing".

But you are confused with the term "blockchain" : a block chain is a database and in most cases just a set of transactions, you won't "programm a blockchain" as you won't programm a MariaDB. However you can use datas from a MariaDB database, or from a block chain for an application or interact with it : here you can differenciate two things.

1) You want to know how Bitcoin (the network, defined by a protocol) works and C++ is the good way to go.
2) You want to make some mobile or web applications which would interact with the Bitcoin network (or another, like Ethereum or Stellar) and in order to do so a scripting language in more often used (mostly Javascript).

Theses two paths are not incompatible but it is easier (required ^^) to go from 1) 2) than from to 2) to 1).

To conclude I would recommend you to learn and practice C++, trying to learn some parts of bitcoin-core (the reference implementation of the Bitcoin protocol) and then to choose what you want to do. Check this thread it can helps you to start with Bitcoin.

In no way am I confused, by blockchain programming I mean I want to program a blockchain. I’m not asking what a blockchain is as I’ve known for a long while, I want to be able to build custom blockchain solutions. Meaning I want to be able to program and run a blockchain, block explorer, wallet, and cryptocurrency. With this I’m sure I could work on established networks as well and I plan to learn solidity for smart contract programming.
In the blockchain developement zone, best-known programming languages that can be used in the making of blockchain are:
C++ most known coding language.
Java used in website designing as it is easy to connect the link between blocks of information.
Python can perform many tasks with a single command and it makes the work of building blocks with relevant information and linking them together so much easier.
Ruby enables the use of a mix of languages to create a blockchain that cannot be easily hacked by its users.
Solidity :
Solidity is a contract-based language that is primarily used to enhance the use of EVM machines. One of the reasons why programmers prefer using this language to build the blockchain is the fact that it can catch hold of any iteration at the time of coding. It saves you a lot of time while creating the message to send across to another user. You can easily procure information and tutorials on the language that makes it accessible to the masses. It is one of the best expressions that you can use for smart contracts or blockchain for that matter.
Source: https://dzone.com/articles/what-are-the-top-5-blockchain-programming-language

Java, Python, & Ruby are generally easier for newcomers as they have less of a learning curve while C++ & Solidity usually take more time to learn.

*am not a programmer but just trying to share ideas based on my daily searches in the web, please correct me if you find something wrong.
Did you read my answer ? I don't have the absolute truth but these journalist-marketing-like affirmations are not accurate.
Activity: 265
Merit: 14
Nina
In the blockchain developement zone, best-known programming languages that can be used in the making of blockchain are:
C++ most known coding language.
Java used in website designing as it is easy to connect the link between blocks of information.
Python can perform many tasks with a single command and it makes the work of building blocks with relevant information and linking them together so much easier.
Ruby enables the use of a mix of languages to create a blockchain that cannot be easily hacked by its users.
Solidity :
Solidity is a contract-based language that is primarily used to enhance the use of EVM machines. One of the reasons why programmers prefer using this language to build the blockchain is the fact that it can catch hold of any iteration at the time of coding. It saves you a lot of time while creating the message to send across to another user. You can easily procure information and tutorials on the language that makes it accessible to the masses. It is one of the best expressions that you can use for smart contracts or blockchain for that matter.
Source: https://dzone.com/articles/what-are-the-top-5-blockchain-programming-language

Java, Python, & Ruby are generally easier for newcomers as they have less of a learning curve while C++ & Solidity usually take more time to learn.

*am not a programmer but just trying to share ideas based on my daily searches in the web, please correct me if you find something wrong.
I am trying to get into blockchain programming from having no programming experience, right now I am slowly learning C++, once I feel a little comfortable with it I am going to start learning blockchain development from courses regardless of the languages they use (which shouldn't be a problem because learning C++ is to give me the knowledge of programming in general and to apply C++ as well). But I see all of these different githubs and courses that use javascript and javascript derived languages (node.js, react.js, etc), those that use c++, those that use python, those that use GO, and I am at a loss. What should I learn exactly? Do I need to know all of these languages for not too complex blockchain applications?

My plan was to just learn c++ and then start studying the blockchain programming while learning the syntax of other languages as I need them, but how can you make a blockchain, cryptocurrency, explorer, wallet, etc utilizing all of the languages above? Do I need to?
Hi,

I do think that learning C/C++ as the first language is the best way to start. By being able to read C++ you can read the whole bitcoin-core code which is, I think, what you mean by "blockchain programing".

But you are confused with the term "blockchain" : a block chain is a database and in most cases just a set of transactions, you won't "programm a blockchain" as you won't programm a MariaDB. However you can use datas from a MariaDB database, or from a block chain for an application or interact with it : here you can differenciate two things.

1) You want to know how Bitcoin (the network, defined by a protocol) works and C++ is the good way to go.
2) You want to make some mobile or web applications which would interact with the Bitcoin network (or another, like Ethereum or Stellar) and in order to do so a scripting language in more often used (mostly Javascript).

Theses two paths are not incompatible but it is easier (required ^^) to go from 1) 2) than from to 2) to 1).

To conclude I would recommend you to learn and practice C++, trying to learn some parts of bitcoin-core (the reference implementation of the Bitcoin protocol) and then to choose what you want to do. Check this thread it can helps you to start with Bitcoin.
Activity: 137
Merit: 3

Pages:
Jump to: