Pages:
Author

Topic: What limits the market cap of bitcoin? - page 3. (Read 1148 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
September 13, 2017, 06:38:13 PM
Everything has a limit though if you may ask me but in what extent then and with that I can't answer you but for a wild guess I think sum up all the money in the world and it is the total market cap of bitcoin, potentially. Just imagine the future of currency is bitcoin.

Bitcoin is a digital world wide currency so it means that every single Fiat money of a single country can invest in it, if that time comes that every establishment in the world really accepts bitcoin as a payment in exchange of their services then I think the value of a single bitcoin will be so high.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1039
September 13, 2017, 05:55:46 PM
Currently worth $70 Bn, Is this a lot?

Personally it seems quite a lot for a fairly untested currency.

US gold reserves currently worth something like $300Bn, the largest in the world (though it's no clear if anyones checked its there). All this is less than a company like Google but still $70Bn is a lot of money.

For the bitcoin price to rise  a lot of money would have to flow in. Right now it seems like every grandma and her dog is being persuaded onto the bitcoin bandwagon. Is this not a sign of an impending crash, in which those at the bottom of the pyramid get burned? Is the bitcoin rise sustainable? Where will the money be flowing in from? Will shops have to start selling bitcoin investment scratch cards over the counter to keep the price rising?

I'm keen to head from people who can make arguments based on fundamental economic principles, either way.

Chinese ban, Chinese manipulation. Dangerous restrictions, these are all preventing bitcoin to reach higher market caps for sure. But technically, there is not mathematical limit on bitcoin's cap.

I think as with anything, you can have two outcomes. Growth or crash. With the Chinese news, you see a bit of a drop. You can consider this our "crash." Since there is a fair amount of backing as can be seen in OP's example of every grandma and her dog (made me laugh), there is a potential for growth as there is a general interest from those who are trying to hop onto the Bitcoin chain.
Activity: 116
Merit: 100
September 13, 2017, 05:02:49 PM

US gold reserves currently worth something like $300Bn, the largest in the world (though it's no clear if anyones checked its there). All this is less than a company like Google but still $70Bn is a lot of money.

For the bitcoin price to rise  a lot of money would have to flow in. Right now it seems like every grandma and her dog is being persuaded onto the bitcoin bandwagon. Is this not a sign of an impending crash, in which those at the bottom of the pyramid get burned? Is the bitcoin rise sustainable? Where will the money be flowing in from? Will shops have to start selling bitcoin investment scratch cards over the counter to keep the price rising?

I'm keen to head from people who can make arguments based on fundamental economic principles, either way.

Chinese ban, Chinese manipulation. Dangerous restrictions, these are all preventing bitcoin to reach higher market caps for sure. But technically, there is not mathematical limit on bitcoin's cap.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
September 13, 2017, 04:59:43 PM

In case of bitcoin with its limited suply only demand limits the market cap. The current market cap is big but is is still not as high as it can be. just imagine how many new users will come when BTC would be widely used all over the world. That will significantly incease the demand and increase the bitcoin price and total market cap.

Yes, long term. But bitcoin has risen sharply. If it's real value has not risen as much then it's likely a bubble caused by people investing because they want to make money (fiat) and intend to pull it out. Then we could see the price fall sharply, for a time until bitcoin starts demonstrating it's value more.

I'm interest reasoning about the value of bitcoin, and the available pool of money, from the more mainstream 'gambling' investors who are not invested in the economic philosophy. 

September 13, 2017, 04:49:02 PM
i appreciate there is technically no upper limit if there is no limit on the bitcoin price, but in order to buy bitcoins people need to have a liquid asset. What is the available pool of money they could use if the world when really bitcoin crazy.

I guess people could sell gold and other investments driving down the price and transfering the 'stored value' to bitcoin. Individuals who don't have any free cash to invest aren't gonna by bit coins.

There must be some way to assess the size of the available pool of money that could realistically could potentially go into bitcoin?

Currently bitcoin is worth way less than Google so presumably BTC could still go a lot higher. I'm wondering if there are any realistic economic limits to which bitcoins market cap could grow before it would have to be having a bit effect on the rest of the economy?

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1293
There is trouble abrewing
September 12, 2017, 10:34:01 AM
nothing can limit market capitalization of anything ever!
market capitalization is calculated by multiplying price by shares. it is shares because market capitalization is something that we calculate for companies not currencies! in a sense, using Market Cap for bitcoin is like wanting to tell your height in volume instead of length (say i am 100 Liter tall instead of 1.6 meter) Cheesy

and because of that as long as either price or number of shares (or number of available coins) can change (which supply can not change for bitcoin) the market cap can too.

MC (rising) = Supply (fixed) * price (rising)
Activity: 924
Merit: 148
September 12, 2017, 10:13:20 AM

In case of bitcoin with its limited suply only demand limits the market cap. The current market cap is big but is is still not as high as it can be. just imagine how many new users will come when BTC would be widely used all over the world. That will significantly incease the demand and increase the bitcoin price and total market cap.
Activity: 364
Merit: 13
September 12, 2017, 09:58:36 AM
Since the price is determined by supply and demend, there is no limit. High demand and low supply cause the price to increase. buyers and sellers determine price as much as they want.
Activity: 490
Merit: 106
September 12, 2017, 09:47:04 AM

To compute the Market Capitalization you have to multiply the Bitcoin supply and the current market price of bitcoin, so there's no limit.
Supply and Demands mostly affects the price of bitcoin but there are lots of things that can affect it like News, Government Policy, Competition.
Activity: 537
Merit: 250
September 12, 2017, 09:17:33 AM

Theres no limit to the marketcap of bitcoin and you must understand about that will never have a limit. Imagine all of the people around the world are using bitcoin. There is not limit to the price of bitcoin as the stable currency like usdt. bitcoin is possible to growth 10k dollar or even 100k dollar for each bitcoin.
September 12, 2017, 08:02:43 AM

Pages:
Jump to: