Pages:
Author

Topic: What programming languages do you know? - page 2. (Read 5724 times)

Activity: 152
Merit: 100
April 30, 2013, 03:08:07 PM
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell.

All the languages mentioned up to this point are imperative (or "multi-paradigm", which is still mostly imperative). Learning how to program in a functional language, like Haskell or ML, should broaden your programming horizons and improve how you think about programming, even if you're still writing most of your code in C++.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
April 30, 2013, 02:08:40 PM
java, javascript, python, dabbling in clojure. bash/tcl don't count...

Python is a good one to learn. It is fairly easy to understand and you can code in a few different styles. Python has its own set of problems, but if you know enough to encounter them then you're prolly able to figure out what the next language you want to learn is.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
April 30, 2013, 01:59:39 PM
How about you guys?

After I learn c++ what other languages are worth learning and which arnt?

Assembler. Sometimes u have to be more close to bare metal.
Activity: 784
Merit: 502
April 30, 2013, 01:45:32 PM
I started learning c++ a long long time ago but never finished and now finishing learning it.

I've worked with HTML and CSS for years

Done the occasional game scripts for particular games that use scripting for add ons, mostly RPGs

How about you guys?

C++ - in fact *all* Object Oriented languages - are for fairies and lightweights. Heres the only languages and real man needs:

1) C - for fast hard-core code that gets shit done
2) Matlab - for prototyping epic maths wisdom
3) PHP - for all the web junk and sticking it all together
4) Mysql - for all that data shyte

Hero Member has spoken, let it be so
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
April 30, 2013, 01:42:31 PM
Good languages:
python, C, and C++
then from C++ learn the qt development kit. cross platform GUI applications, what bitcoin-qt uses

why python? for most simple apps, python will get you to where to want to go faster than C/C++. It won't run as fast, but for many programs it doesn't matter. Learning real languages (C and C++) will let you know what you're missing so you can pick and choose when you use scripting languages and when to use real languages.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
April 30, 2013, 12:15:30 PM
I started learning c++ a long long time ago but never finished and now finishing learning it.

I've worked with HTML and CSS for years

Done the occasional game scripts for particular games that use scripting for add ons, mostly RPGs

How about you guys?

Pages:
Jump to: